Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:28 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWCores View Post
A hollow core bedroom door works.
+1 on this for sure! I don't use pins though to hold the bits in place. They split and distort the components.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined May 2005
241 Posts
Great Planes

GPMR6948 Pro Building Board 16" x 36" (405 mm x 915 mm)
I bought one of these to have a building surface that I can move between the shop and the television room. Frame something up while watching my baseball team lose, then move back to the shop to dry or continue building. Absolutely love it. The one I bought builds flatter than I can.
Surprising how well it takes pins, yet, holds firmly.
Alard is offline Find More Posts by Alard
Last edited by Alard; Sep 19, 2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: because I wasn't done
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:19 PM
United States, FL, Shalimar
Joined Jan 2009
318 Posts
This the board I use...with some mod's. Mine is 8' long x 30" wide. I also have the L brackets running down the middle. It takes a little bit of work to build but it's well worth it.
jolly01 is offline Find More Posts by jolly01
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:08 AM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Jun 2012
158 Posts
I use this set up too (basically). That insulation board was what I could find at Lows or whatever and I had MDF so I just put them together. I did not build a base at all. I am wondering. It is important to have a level board? Flat I understand, but it seams like level would be much less important, and it seems like a lot of work to add the leveling nuts / brackets.
Fickle flier is offline Find More Posts by Fickle flier
Last edited by Fickle flier; Sep 20, 2012 at 03:10 AM. Reason: clarification
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:00 PM
≡LSF8067≡
Bedford, TX
Joined Oct 2007
2,851 Posts
Although I use a hollow core door for many things, my wing panels are done on 1/2" glass using dominoes to weight and align base sheeting and ribs. Not only is the glass super flat, it allows you to flip the plan and use the same drawing for the opposite wing via back lighting. This gives you two identical wings by eliminating distortion from the print.
dwells is offline Find More Posts by dwells
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:09 PM
United States, FL, Shalimar
Joined Jan 2009
318 Posts
If you can build the board without ANY twist or bow, the you could leave the brackets out, but unless your master wood worker that probably won't happen. What the bracket set up allows you to do is adjust the building board for any changes in the base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickle flier View Post
I use this set up too (basically). That insulation board was what I could find at Lows or whatever and I had MDF so I just put them together. I did not build a base at all. I am wondering. It is important to have a level board? Flat I understand, but it seams like level would be much less important, and it seems like a lot of work to add the leveling nuts / brackets.
jolly01 is offline Find More Posts by jolly01
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:06 AM
Sticker Field Flyer
Now in Orlando, FL
Joined Mar 2007
62 Posts
I haven't used it yet but I found a in perfect condition exterior steel door in someones trash and thought to myself, that will make a perfect work bench for my next glider project.
Plantation Bruce is offline Find More Posts by Plantation Bruce
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:23 PM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
United States, CA, Guerneville
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
I used a hollow core door but it has developed waves in the surface after 2 months. I use a piece of sound board on top and I can't feel the waves through it, but the door isn't flat. It is super humid here so that may have messed the door up...
UberZogster is offline Find More Posts by UberZogster