HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined Aug 2011
109 Posts
Discussion
E flight prop adapter squish on crap

my local hobby shop is full of E flight proper adapters on the wall.

What does that tell yourimfire and other motors use dedicated prop adapters not this squish on crap. I want everyone to not think this is normal stuff, and maybe just maybe E flight will make a proper prop adapter. How many airplanes are like mine where changing a prop the prop adapter caused problems. Has anyone seen poor tracking occasionally this happens with these cool squish on prop adapters

E flight please make a proper bolt on adapter stop selling us crap.

I just want normal quality for my hard-earned money
dragon444 is offline Find More Posts by dragon444
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:42 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,758 Posts
5 posts and already slagging a manufacturer off ?

I have used the bolt-on adapter, the collet adapter, (is that what you mean by squish ?), and the set screw adapter, oh and various prop saver adapters. Rarely do I get a problem.

They all work, but like many things in life, sometimes they go wrong, or can be poor quality.

Be at least be thankful you actually have a local hobby shop to go back to if you have a problem.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:14 AM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,435 Posts
Same here. Nary an issue with them "squishers". I guess I must have been "squishing" them just the right way then....
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:43 AM
Georgia
Joined Jun 2007
687 Posts
Getting the collet adapters off can be a problem. Fortunately, you can tilt the motor to the front, and use CAR solvent to loosen up the thread lock you used to liberally. There are also problems getting a prop with the proper size hole off of the threaded shaft adapters. In an extreme situation, I use an ancient miniature "channel lock" plier at the base of the threaded adapter. The adapter hub gets scored, but at least you can get things apart!
chuck75 is offline Find More Posts by chuck75
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:19 AM
United States, WI, Chetek
Joined Jul 2011
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon444 View Post
my local hobby shop is full of E flight proper adapters on the wall.

What does that tell yourimfire and other motors use dedicated prop adapters not this squish on crap. I want everyone to not think this is normal stuff, and maybe just maybe E flight will make a proper prop adapter. How many airplanes are like mine where changing a prop the prop adapter caused problems. Has anyone seen poor tracking occasionally this happens with these cool squish on prop adapters

E flight please make a proper bolt on adapter stop selling us crap.

I just want normal quality for my hard-earned money
That's easy to solve. Buy a different brand of motor.

Oh...and they are "collets". Not "squish on crap".

I only use bolt on adapters. The only true way to be safe IMHO. Not that squish on crap.
JurassicJet is offline Find More Posts by JurassicJet
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:20 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,227 Posts
To remove squish (collet) adapter, take off prop, put nut or spinner back on end of threaded shaft, grip rear of collet lightly with long nosed pliers, etc., and rap nut or spinner with small hammer to jar rear of collet loose from shaft part. Slide prop shaft off of motor shaft. Most prop shafts are made of aluminum so that they will bend before motor shaft bends. Sometimes you can straighten a bent aluminum prop shaft part satisfactorily. Tighten nut or spinner well or adapter and prop may go flying and hurt somebody or at least get lost in flight.
I have no troubles with collet (squish) adapters. No need for tiny allen wrenches and grub screws, or thread locker goop. Keep an extra squish adapter in your field box.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Sep 10, 2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:45 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,762 Posts
If you've been "squishing" them onto "crap" then that's your problem. They work fine on normal metal motor shafts .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:19 PM
The 6 P principle works for me
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
980 Posts
E-flite and HiMaxx both make excellent collet style prop adaptors. I use both with great success.

I can see where you might have a problem if you bought a 1/8" adaptor for a 3mm shaft as they are NOT the same size!

Michael
elecfryer is offline Find More Posts by elecfryer
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:36 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,215 Posts
I'd be surprised if a 1/8" (3.175mm) collet could be tightened enough to even get a grip on a 3mm shaft. I don't think they have that much gripping range.

I never have problems with collet type adapters and have used everything from the cheap imports to the nicer ones from the Slovak Republic.

Sized right, a collet should slip onto the shaft with no discernible play and ideally the shaft will bottom out in the collet to get the longest possible gripping length.

My drill for mounting them is to first degrease the shaft and collet with alcohol or acetone and let them air dry, put the collet on the shaft and mount the closer/backing hub, prop, prop washer, lock washer if there is one, and then finger tighten the nut. At that point there is usually no discernible play in the collet on the shaft.

Then I hold the blade and tighten the nut 1/8th turn with a wrench. then I hold the magnet housing and try to turn the prop with only moderate force. If it slips, I give it another 1/8th turn on the nut and check for slip again. Usually it only takes two or three 1/8th turn tightenings from finger tight and it is tight enough. Some of my folding props have never been off since the first tightening.

On an shaft with an unusually high polish I take 300 grit or so emery cloth and slide it up and down the shaft to give it some barely visible striations for the collets to grip on.

To get the collets to release I use an open end wrench that will straddle the shaft and rest on the shoulders of the closer/backing hub. A light rap on the wrench with something metal will cause the closer to release.

There's a learning curve, some of the details are not obvious.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes