HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:30 PM
Arizona
Joined Jan 2006
166 Posts
Discussion
Sterling Stinson SR8 Reliant 31in ws

So I just won that airplane on an online auction today and was wondering about the plastic parts. Is there any way to somehow reproduce the plastic parts that come with the kit without destroying the originals? I know it would involve vacuum forming, but I've never done that before, so am in the dark. I would like to copy the patterns and build the airplane using all new wood and all new plastic parts as a control line airplane if possible. Thanks for the response!
65stang is offline Find More Posts by 65stang
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,656 Posts
Depending on the shapes youre talking about, it shouldnt be too hard to make molds using any variety of goops and resins. Use those molds to make solid positives for the vacuum forming, or even use them to make fiberglass or carbon parts. Lots of possibilities. I like making plugs and molds and have only made a few, primarily because it gets expensive quick the bigger the mold. A good goop for small molds is JB Weld. You probably wont find that recommended in the composites forum, but I've had good luck with it.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:52 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,768 Posts
Get some mold release wax and get the inside surfaces waxed and buffed a few times. Spray some PVA mold release into the plastic 'molds'. Two or three coats should be plenty. The spray PVA for your spray gun would probably work better in the small sizes you are working vs the 'wipe on with a rag or sponge' PVA. Evercoat's 'Bondo' brand polyester resin and 0.75 oz cloth, a couple of layers, the molds. When cured you have parts! If parts seem a little thin or flimsy just add more cloth and resin. Get the little clear graduated mixing cups. 1/2 oz per cup is plenty. Use ~6-8 drops of MEKP per 1/2 oz. The hotter it is outside the quicker it 'kicks'. Yes, do this outside- it is kinda smelly even though I like the aroma! Any ???'s just PM. It's easy! Financial outlay ~25-35 bucks.
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP