SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by quitcherbitchen, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:45 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Cañada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,577 Posts
Build Log
New Super Cub Flap

Finally got around to a different Fowler design. Used big Robart pin hinges to simulate an external hinge. Very conventional actually, but this is now Fowler number 4 for me. This should be very fun. If they end up as robust as my number 1 design I will incorporate them into future designs as these were ten times easier to install.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:47 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
reminds me of funcub hinges.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:49 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,577 Posts
Maybe I should have bought those. I'll check it out. These were pretty easy and only $3.00
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
It's basically the same thing, except the hinges have a flat attachment point, like a control horn.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:57 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,577 Posts
Cool, Do they work good or are they fragil
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
They work really well. Slow the plane down to a crawl when they're at 85 degrees. You do need strong servos though, they take a lot of force if you use a lot of throttle with them down. Mine are slightly green from the grass the prop chops up.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:18 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
16 Posts
The multiplex funcub hinges are great...BUT...im pretty sure you cant buy them by themsleves, you have to buy a big parts package with a bunch of junk you wont need for $26! I looked for a while but couldnt find them by themselves anywhere.

you could add a little triangle piece of ply to reinforce your robart idea!

-Michael
mgivens is online now Find More Posts by mgivens
Last edited by mgivens; Sep 13, 2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:25 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,577 Posts
I noticed the Multiplex ones were really expensive. These Robarts seem pretty strong and for $3.00 I can't complain. One of my $3.00 servos failed on the bench though. I haven't even flown this yet so I guess on the ground is better then the air.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:04 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,577 Posts
One thing I learn with these flaps is that analog servos will act all stuttered once you slow them down using the computer radio. I slowed the flaps to deploy and retract in 1.2 seconds and they move very stuttered because of the analog signal. Copperbricks is right that you need a strong servo. My cheap HK servos work, but I am worried that they may not be up to the task. Also, if there is any slop in the linkage there is a possibility for flutter. I might have to redesign the control horn. I might put some MG5065 digital ones in if these fail. Slowed movement should be smoother too. I charged my batteries for tomorrow so I tell everyone how it goes.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:55 PM
Joined Mar 2013
11 Posts
Robart hindge

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
One thing I learn with these flaps is that analog servos will act all stuttered once you slow them down using the computer radio. I slowed the flaps to deploy and retract in 1.2 seconds and they move very stuttered because of the analog signal. Copperbricks is right that you need a strong servo. My cheap HK servos work, but I am worried that they may not be up to the task. Also, if there is any slop in the linkage there is a possibility for flutter. I might have to redesign the control horn. I might put some MG5065 digital ones in if these fail. Slowed movement should be smoother too. I charged my batteries for tomorrow so I tell everyone how it goes.
I really like the fowler type flaps you made... You said you used BIG Robart hinges ... When ordering they don't specify big? Do you remember which ones you bought..? Now that you've used this set up would you do anything differently.. And did your HK analog servos hold up?
Wdjones777 is offline Find More Posts by Wdjones777
Old Apr 14, 2013, 06:58 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,577 Posts
I used Robart 310 hinges though I have bought Hobby King large and they look the same. just line them up and glue them in and dremel off the excess that stick out the top of the flap and wing. The cheap HK servos are fine. There is virtually no load on the servos and they are very easy to make, I actually wouldn't change anything. Just make sure your servos aren't reversed or you invert the hinge line. I haven't encountered flutter either.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 08:20 PM
Joined Mar 2013
11 Posts
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
I used Robart 310 hinges though I have bought Hobby King large and they look the same. just line them up and glue them in and dremel off the excess that stick out the top of the flap and wing. The cheap HK servos are fine. There is virtually no load on the servos and they are very easy to make, I actually wouldn't change anything. Just make sure your servos aren't reversed or you invert the hinge line. I haven't encountered flutter either.
Just completed the flaps and ailerons today.. I did what you suggested.. It will be a few days before I can cut the servos in ... What were your dimensions on the ailerons / flaps..? I used 9" x 1 3/4 ailerons and 8 x 1 3/4 flaps .. Great idea..
Wdjones777 is offline Find More Posts by Wdjones777
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:23 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,577 Posts
I think my flaps were 10" x 1 7/8" and the ailerons were 9" x 1 7/8". I still have a decent roll rate if I use a lot of rudder. Both my Super Cubs have Leading Edge slats, but I think to really get a decent slow STOL you need Crow setting in your radio and I am going to next experiment with a full symmetrical horizontal stab. Some really thick cord to keep the air attached.