HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:06 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,708 Posts
LG, don't know about a plan..its alot of work. I do have my sketchs though.

Made a start on the head which is made from birch ply laminations, the centre piece has the cuts outs for the hinges. As I type they are clamped together and the epoxy is drying. The slot is for the Fibre Glass control arm which is a nice snap fit ready to glue in situ.
I compared the old one model with the new one and as you can see there is a bit of difference. The original head used a sandwhiched piece of PPP which was a little bit stiff for the little Hitec servos. This was clamped together with several bolts, the main shaft was machined from alloy with a fork milled out. This slipped over the head and was again bolted on.

Not much to show for my efforts until the glue cures then I can crack on some more with the head later. Time to solder

Regards

Rich
SafeLandings is online now Find More Posts by SafeLandings
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Oct 2009
96 Posts
um, you mean you don't like soldering?
Lazygit is offline Find More Posts by Lazygit
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:44 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,708 Posts
I hate soldering!! but its now done.

Not much else done today due to work commitments did make a start on gluing the top part of the head together and adding the large triangular balsa section. To the top of this will go the ply mounting plate for the spindle which will be epoxied and screwed in to place for added strength. Just a case of getting the sanding block out then and adding a little shape to it.

Regards

Rich
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:40 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,708 Posts
Been outside this afternoon taking advantage of the dry weather, I have started to make a cowl. Kind of 'suck it and see' until I am happy with the shape, started off with a base plate which was tacked to the bulk head then a ply disc bolted to the motor shaft. Have started to block in between both with soft balsa sheet, time consuming but always satisfying when they are done.
I am thinking of adding side cheeks, will mock them up later to see if they look ok.

Regards

Rich
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Oct 2009
96 Posts
Looks interesting, (but how do you get the motor out?) shhhhh!
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:46 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,708 Posts
LG,
Its a removable cowl, I just cut the CA tacks when its all sanded down.

I have added some cheeks but I'm not sure whether it looks right? easily removable though.

Regards

Rich
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Oct 2009
96 Posts
That's cunning, though won't it get a bit warm in there?
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,708 Posts
It should be fine as I have added lots of cooling holes and when completed should have a good flow of air through and over all the electronics (fingers crossed)

Rich
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:15 AM
Joined Apr 2009
336 Posts
If you keep playing with the Mario race cars you'll never get her finished LOL
Im at work but still keeping an eye on the progress, still a bit warm over here can you add some cooling holes her too

cali
Cali is offline Find More Posts by Cali
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:36 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,708 Posts
Bugger it, my secret is out!!..LOL!

Had an hour this morning on the tail feathers and mount, 6mm depron has been used for the tailplane as its light cheap and easy to replace. Consists of 5 pieces which slot together with a dab of glue to secure.
The mount is simple, just two pieces of triangular section rounded off and stuck onto each side of the rear fuselage. On top of this is some light 1.5mm balsa cross grain. Will just stick the tail on with double sided tape or glue, need to make a centre fairing to blend in the back of the fuselage. Will do this later on.

Regards

Rich
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:23 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,708 Posts
Fairing made up and I reassembled the U/C etc to see what it sits like. I am pretty happy with the results so far, time to rub her all down and slap on some covering(the bit I hate doing). More in a few days I hope.

Regards

Rich
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:54 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,607 Posts
Rich
Looking good
Some thing that I have been doing recently is to have the tailplane as a "tight" fit rather than stick it in position.I have done this on the Kay, Dag ,Panther ,C-24 and W-2.....I understand that it is not going to be suitable for all models but over the years I have damaged many tailplanes with rotor strike and heavy landings,but by allowing the t/plane to move if struck ....I have found that it saves a lot of repairs.
I am sure this may not be suitable for a fixed wing model.....but as I fly my autogyros usually no faster than half throttle........... it works for me......just a nice firm fit ....that will move if necessary....
Happy Landings
Chris............

May not be suitable for a depron tail on this model.......but.........just thought it may be interesting to you...
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:28 AM
Joined Oct 2009
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz View Post
Rich

I am sure this may not be suitable for a fixed wing model.....but as I fly my autogyros usually no faster than half throttle........... it works for me......just a nice firm fit ....that will move if necessary....
Happy Landings
Chris............

May not be suitable for a depron tail on this model.......but.........just thought it may be interesting to you...
Done on many FW models, just fixed on with a rubber band . One advantage is the reduced damage, another is much easier to store the fuselage. With the depron surfaces it needs a hard pad to stop the band cutting into the depron.

Though I bet you knew this.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:30 AM
Joined Oct 2009
96 Posts
I used a couple of cocktail sticks to fit a whole tail assembly complete with rudder, pull-pull cables and servo arms on to my Fire Fly,
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:36 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,708 Posts
Chris,
Im the same with booms (well on the smaller models), a nice interference fit seems to do fine. Easy to remove in 'an event'

Regards

Rich