HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by FeiJi, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:18 AM
Joined Aug 2011
180 Posts
Discussion
LanYu Cessna TW-747-1 (4channel) Flight

I started flying a year ago and this foam Cessna was the first plane I bought but I never flew it. I robbed it of the electrics to build foam wings and learned to fly on them.
Finally last week I put in a new brushless motor, esc, lipo, prop, prop saver and with a new radio maidened it. Great little plane. Very easy to fly and predictable.

Can now do inverted, loops and sort of rolls. I broke the original landing gear and used bike spokes and a couple of cable clamps to kluge one together. Going to change to aluminum flat gear soon.

I love flying wings but this plane is a much more relaxing fly. And it was cheap.

TX/RX: WFLY WFT07
Motor: emax cf2822 (the screws tend to vibrate loose)
esc: 30amp
lipo: 3s 900 and 1100 mah
prop: 8*6 with prop saver

RC LanYu Cessna TW-747-1 Flight (3 min 15 sec)

Update: 9/11 Added pictures of my new aluminum landing gear. Nice strong gear and smooth axles.
Update: 9/15 Wow landing gear is great, tough. Its the simple things. Flying rolls now and outside loops. If I had flown this plane first a year ago instead of learning on wings I would be a much better pilot with more airtime. But the struggle with wings was tough and satisfying.
Rats, flew 40 minutes today and then on last landing hit the landing gear pretty hard - landing gear is fine, but the plastic bracket it is bolted to a little bent in. Still flyable but not as pretty now. Guess that down side of the aluminum gear is that all that force has to go somewhere else now. Well, first ding after a couple hours airtime so can relax now that the paint is scratched.
Update 9/30: Let someone new at flying have a go at flying the Cessna - my idea but not a good one. Hit a window in a high building here but didn't break the glass then I took the controls but it got swept beside the building and I lost site so I just shut it down and let it go where it would. Not too much broke, the landing gear broke off the mount (no big deal) and one of the wooden rods that hold the wing rubber bands on broke off. I just taped the wing on securely and air launched it - I actually like flying it much better this way as my landing gear was a little heavy and I can really tell the difference. Very east to belly land this plane and I have a prop saver on it so - there I go. Will fly it this way tomorrow too.
I love this plane.
FeiJi is offline Find More Posts by FeiJi
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FeiJi; Sep 30, 2012 at 06:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2014, 09:39 PM
Hong Kong
Joined May 2010
63 Posts
FeiJi

Just bought myself one of these after flying a Clouds Fly Floater Glider for a while. Not been flying in a long time fyling but had experimented with a low wing plane. However I think I need something like this to hone the brain and fingers before flying low wings again.

Planning to stick a 2212 2200Kv Outrunner on it with a 25A ESC and use 11,1v 800mAh -1300mAh Lipos with that.

I noticed you fit your motor ahead of the cowling instead of inside, any cg problems? Still flying yours?
etopsflight is offline Find More Posts by etopsflight
Last edited by etopsflight; Feb 15, 2014 at 09:42 PM. Reason: typo