HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2003, 10:35 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,162 Posts
Digital Proportional Zip-Zaps

I searched and could not find any existing threads on the new Radio Shack digital proportional Zip-Zaps. They claim proportional steering and 6 USA R/C frequencies.

- Can someone post photos of the guts?
- How do they steer (magnetic actuator, mini-servo, magic)?
- What is the useful range?

RC-CAM
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2003, 10:42 AM
United States, VA, Clintwood
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
I did start a thread on them a while back.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=zip+zaps+se

There are some links in there to pictures and stuff.
No one has moded them for a plane yet the RX looks heavy.
I still havent purchased one.

I have noticed it is hard to find some of my threads unless you go to the search page.

Billy
billystiltner is offline Find More Posts by billystiltner
Old Nov 26, 2003, 10:49 AM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,162 Posts
Thanks for the link. I was using Zip-Zap in my search term, which was where I went wrong (spoiled by the hyphen).

RC-CAM
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Old Nov 27, 2003, 08:44 AM
Pro Bro #495
Farmington NM
Joined Apr 2002
3,193 Posts
I have one. The rx looks heavier than an r4p. The steering servo is real jittery around center. Its fun as a car, but I don't think it would make that great of a plane.
fwilly is offline Find More Posts by fwilly
Old Apr 09, 2004, 02:57 PM
Mocking Birds
VA
Joined Apr 2004
301 Posts
Zip Zap SE

I am planning to put my Zip Zap SE RX and Servo into a Graupner Micro Taxi. It will have rudder only, and hopefully the proportional throttle has enough steps to handle the rest. I have been flying the Slow Stick on Real Flight with trimmed elevator and rudder and throttle only, and it flys fine. I am Planning on doing the Mosfet Mod and adding a longer antenna to the RX. I also plan to use a KP00 Union 80 and an 170mah LiPo. Range will determine what's done to the TX. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

RX and Servo are very heavy.
t1mux is offline Find More Posts by t1mux
Last edited by t1mux; Apr 25, 2005 at 06:14 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2004, 03:43 PM
Love them Micro RC's.
Golden (corn fields), Illinois
Joined Jan 2003
131 Posts
You will want to be VERY careful about these, for multiple reasons. For one, they aren't really proportional, only having a few steps in each direction. Also, all of the old ones (the Initial D ones, new Mustang, Audi, and any other up to the new muscle cars) have worse electronics, sometimes only getting 1-2 steps to the left or right!!! If you do get one of these, make sure you get one of the muscle car ones (like the Starsky and hutch Torino) as they have the newer electronics. Even then, I'd be wary of using one of these for making a plane, as they aren't even all that exceptional for a car.
Gfunk is offline Find More Posts by Gfunk