SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:09 PM
Arizona
Joined Jan 2006
166 Posts
Discussion
Sterling Stinson SR8 Reliant 31in ws

So I just won that airplane on an online auction today and was wondering about the plastic parts. Is there any way to somehow reproduce the plastic parts that come with the kit without destroying the originals? I know it would involve vacuum forming, but I've never done that before, so am in the dark. I would like to copy the patterns and build the airplane using all new wood and all new plastic parts as a control line airplane if possible. Thanks for the response!
65stang is offline Find More Posts by 65stang
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:04 AM
Arizona
Joined Jan 2006
166 Posts
No ideas?
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:15 AM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,697 Posts
Get some mold release wax and apply to the plastic 'molds' (inside surface). Get some PVA mold release (I use the kind for spray guns but there is the type you just 'wet' a cloth then wipe into the mold) apply and let dry. Now, just get some inexpensive 'Bondo' brand polyester resin and some 0.75oz cloth and lay that up into your plastic molds. A couple of layers should be plenty. After you pop the part out you can put more glass inside it if it seems 'thin'.
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:03 PM
Arizona
Joined Jan 2006
166 Posts
ARUP,

Thanks for the idea....but won't I have to break the original cowling to get the rocker blisters out in one piece? Is this wax fairly strong? Thanks
Last edited by 65stang; Sep 09, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:06 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,697 Posts
Could you show some pictures of your parts? So long as they haven't been cut out from the sheet the process outlined previously should work. You wax the plastic tray of parts just like you would wax your car. Kinda like the Karate Kid movie! That makes the tray or 'mold' a little more slippery. Then spray the PVA realease agent into the tray or 'mold'. The resin will cure and not stick to the mold because the PVA insulates it from the curing resins.

If your parts have been cut out all is not lost but a little more work required, that's all!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:11 PM
Arizona
Joined Jan 2006
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP View Post
Could you show some pictures of your parts? So long as they haven't been cut out from the sheet the process outlined previously should work. You wax the plastic tray of parts just like you would wax your car. Kinda like the Karate Kid movie! That makes the tray or 'mold' a little more slippery. Then spray the PVA realease agent into the tray or 'mold'. The resin will cure and not stick to the mold because the PVA insulates it from the curing resins.

If your parts have been cut out all is not lost but a little more work required, that's all!
I'll post some pics when I receive it.... But what I can say for now is that these are thin wall plastic vacuum formed parts with intricate details that haven't been cut out yet.... Kind of like the parts you would get with a Guillows model, except not in production anymore.... since we're on that subject, does anyone know what happened with the Sterling moulds and original plans?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,697 Posts
Good! If the kit is intact then all the info in my first post applicable. If you want to try your hand at vacuum forming then you 'slick' up the plastic trays but instead of glassing them just mix up polyester resin, chopped glass and cabosil (filler/ thickener) and pour this into your trays. Put a little masking tape 'fence' around perimeter of tray to contain the resin. We want to duplicate the tray, see. After pouring last bit of resin then lay/ wet some glass cloth on the surface to give the new mold some added strength. After this cures pop it (your duplicate of the tray) out and sand the bottom flat so that when it is put in the vacuum form machine it won't distort. This stuff is fun AND easy! It just seems daunting. Cheers!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Mar 2010
1,697 Posts
BTW... I had a '66 Stang convertible back in the day. Red, white top and black interior. 6-cyl and 3 speed. Now I have a '57 Bug, '58 MGA and a '59 Bug.