HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:55 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
I finally got to fly my quad by FPV. I've had at least 6 flights. A couple crashes, but mostly good flights. I was even able to fly through some trees in my neighbors yard. I like the close in obstacle flying, it seems to be more challenging. I need to mount the gopro to do some recording.
signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:33 AM
Joined Oct 2011
364 Posts
Good job Bob, just keep on practicing.
man1024 is offline Find More Posts by man1024
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:28 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,032 Posts
Here's how I practice flying between trees...

After the first FPV flight of the newly rebuilt TBS Discovery and after getting Andy's CS8 dialed in, I took some time to get a few practice flights with the Disco to get a feel for how the new setup flys. It takes me a bit to get used to judging the distance to objects from the perspective of seeing them through the pilot cam/goggles. I thinkI might build a beater FPV quad so I can really rip through the trees and not worry about the damage from hitting one!

DiscoRebuildPart2 (9 min 31 sec)

Ken
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:47 PM
No thrust...It'll bust...
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,374 Posts
Finished a hex frame tonight. It's ready for some poor man's carbon fiber...

-Tim
troynh is offline Find More Posts by troynh
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Ghetto Tank
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:11 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
looks good Tim. Are those rungs on the landing gear there so the G.I.Joe can climb aboard?
Old Nov 01, 2012, 08:47 AM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,374 Posts
That's exactly why they're there. Lol...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:50 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,927 Posts
Nice. I like the landing gear/camera mount ?
Is the landing gear balsa ? It looks a lot lighter colour than the other wood.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:31 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,374 Posts
It's a primed piece of manufactured fascia board from when I built our house. Lighter than pine and just as strong.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:09 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
whats the ETA on the maiden Tim?
Will that get the NAZA?
FPV?
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:42 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,374 Posts
Not till next week. I'm off to Mexico on business... Yes. that'll have the Naza on it. Possibly FPV if I like how it flies.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:21 PM
Troy, NH
Joined Sep 2006
4,374 Posts
I lied.... It needs some tweaking but that'll have to wait until I get back.
The onboard video is from a version 1 GoPro in the R5 setting. Not bad!

Maiden flight of the DJI Naza M - GPS HEX (1 min 9 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:42 AM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,032 Posts
Tricopters and MultiWii

I'm about to venture into the one area of multirotors that I haven't played around in yet, tricopters! I've owned and flown just about every other possible configuration except the basic Tri, the closest thing being the coax Y6 that I've flown with a few different flight controllers but that is something completely different than a tri with a servo controlled pivoting tail motor.

I bought the HK Tri frame kit after seeing one at the Swansea get together, if I'm lucky it will arrive sometime this month. So far it's taken almost two weeks just to leave Taiwan according to the tracking, who knows how much longer before it actually gets to me...

Anyway, if anyone has any recommendations on motors, props, setup, etc I'm all ears, never built one, only ever seen one or two in person.

I also have recently acquired a MultiWii Mega with GPS that I had intended to use on the Tri but it's proving to be a rather cranky beast to get setup and working. Perhaps that's because of the DJI F450 frame I have it on with the builtin power distribution in the lower frame plate causing issues with the mag and other sensors on the board. Not sure exactly what the problem is but I'm in the process of assembling a basic G10 quad frame to put it on to see if getting it off the DJI frame helps. It autolevels nicely, altitude hold works fairly well compared to the Quadrino board I have but the heading hold and GPS functions are not at all stable, I've only been able to get those to actually work once and not all that well at that.

Unless/until I manage to get the Mega sorted on the quad frame I won't be using it on the tri, something new like this is hard enough to get up to speed on, I don't need the added confusion of trying to make a flight controller work right at the same time so I'm thinking I'll use one of the Kk boards I have hanging around on the Tri. I have one of the KK2.0 with the LCD screen that flys quite smoothly compared to the older vesions I have I think that may become the controller for the Tri while I get everything sorted, anyone see a problem with that?

Ken
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:46 AM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post
I'm about to venture into the one area of multirotors that I haven't played around in yet, tricopters! I've owned and flown just about every other possible configuration except the basic Tri, the closest thing being the coax Y6 that I've flown with a few different flight controllers but that is something completely different than a tri with a servo controlled pivoting tail motor.

I bought the HK Tri frame kit after seeing one at the Swansea get together, if I'm lucky it will arrive sometime this month. So far it's taken almost two weeks just to leave Taiwan according to the tracking, who knows how much longer before it actually gets to me...

Anyway, if anyone has any recommendations on motors, props, setup, etc I'm all ears, never built one, only ever seen one or two in person.

I also have recently acquired a MultiWii Mega with GPS that I had intended to use on the Tri but it's proving to be a rather cranky beast to get setup and working. Perhaps that's because of the DJI F450 frame I have it on with the builtin power distribution in the lower frame plate causing issues with the mag and other sensors on the board. Not sure exactly what the problem is but I'm in the process of assembling a basic G10 quad frame to put it on to see if getting it off the DJI frame helps. It autolevels nicely, altitude hold works fairly well compared to the Quadrino board I have but the heading hold and GPS functions are not at all stable, I've only been able to get those to actually work once and not all that well at that.

Unless/until I manage to get the Mega sorted on the quad frame I won't be using it on the tri, something new like this is hard enough to get up to speed on, I don't need the added confusion of trying to make a flight controller work right at the same time so I'm thinking I'll use one of the Kk boards I have hanging around on the Tri. I have one of the KK2.0 with the LCD screen that flys quite smoothly compared to the older vesions I have I think that may become the controller for the Tri while I get everything sorted, anyone see a problem with that?

Ken
I don't see any problem with using the KK2. I'd use the RC Timer 2830-11 motors
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...1&productname=
And there Simonk speed controls
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...0&productname=
With 10" Gemfam props
The only real difference is the speed of the yaw, much quicker on a tricopter.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:13 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
Next meet

Spring 2013

Main event...

FPV racing!

TDB - Season 1 - Race 1 - NSR (3 min 34 sec)

We can set up cones.... like the red bull races. Maybe even some limbo ribbons to fly under.

Start building cheap, fast copters
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:34 AM
Joined Jul 2012
448 Posts
If you guys can help me build a fast rig for less than $100 then I'm all in.
tombrown1 is offline Find More Posts by tombrown1
Closed Thread