signguy is offline Find More Posts by signguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:58 PM
USA, RI, East Providence
Joined Jun 2010
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signguy View Post
here is some quick practice fpv "racing" tried the old tricopter first...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rz8Y...sWOi2A&index=2
Awesome!
Loving the pool noodles for our poor props sake...
Where can I buy pool noodles in February?

I held my breath for you on that first pass through the hoop.
We need to make some tall pylons to ensure that we go full round.
I have some 10' lengths of electrical pipe. I think...

Might need to build a cheapy to practice before parts arrive to finish that rocket ship...
crashtested is offline Find More Posts by crashtested
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:11 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
the main problem may be availability of noodles !!!! I'm not sure if they'll be out b April.
I was thinking tall pylons too. maybe some coroplast cut into long triangles, with an 24" base and 8' tall. just fold them along the center and they'd look like red bull pylons. he hoop could be two coro pylons with a noodle across the top.
I need lots of practice, but the new drugs I'm on are kicking my but with side effects...........
Hope I feel much better by April.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:28 PM
Joined Jul 2012
446 Posts
Quote:
and her is the quad trial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dHG9...sWOi2A&index=1

save your pool noodles!! maybe larger pylons made from coroplast
Haha!!!! Great vid!
tombrown1 is offline Find More Posts by tombrown1
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:41 PM
Joined Nov 2011
103 Posts
>>availability of noodles<<

Maybe pipe insulation will do than?
Something like this:
http://www.homedepot.com/Plumbing-Pi...1#.URCbXKWhA6o
tsbanking is offline Find More Posts by tsbanking
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:43 PM
Joined Nov 2011
103 Posts
>>Loving the pool noodles for our poor props sake...<<
Dont think it'll make any difference for our props.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:48 PM
Joined Nov 2011
103 Posts
Would be great to add balloons.
http://flitetest.com/articles/popping-balloons
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:32 AM
USA, RI, East Providence
Joined Jun 2010
415 Posts
At this rate, our next meet will last less than an hour with all of us running back to our tool boxes for repairs...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:49 AM
USA, RI, East Providence
Joined Jun 2010
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbanking View Post
>>Loving the pool noodles for our poor props sake...<<
Dont think it'll make any difference for our props.
I would think a foam noodle could down a quad spinning graupners maybe losing one and maybe none, where my PVC pylon would surely be the end of any prop that cam near.

Foam , or I'm looking jnto any inflatables that would be suitable.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:02 AM
Joined Nov 2011
103 Posts
I wouldnt use graupners for racing. I'll use cheap gemfans and they are brittle.
If you guys think that balloons is a good idea we can buy a kit like this:
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:13 AM
USA, RI, East Providence
Joined Jun 2010
415 Posts
I know flying graupners could be expensive... But in my experience a have had some good hard crashes with no breakage on the graupnrs that would smash all other plastic Props. That is hitting grass and dirt though... I don't think I have the guts to fly the g's either.

A full tank of helium is $75 I have one still with a bit left. I used it to fill a 9' white round ad balloon I filled with led's and hung a camera gimbal for a music festival here in RI. I could control the led and gimbal from the ground. Maybe I'll bring it...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by crashtested; Feb 06, 2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:35 AM
Joined Nov 2011
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashtested View Post
Maybe I'll bring it...
That'll be cool.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:07 PM
USA, RI, East Providence
Joined Jun 2010
415 Posts
This is the "moon balloon" as the sun came up at the festival.
The silver helium "rocket" to the right was led up a separate guide-string at the peak of my friends band performance with colored sparklers going. Really crushed the "to the moon" theme of the festival !
I had a projector streaming the video from the gimbal onto a large white tent that was setup on the grounds.
I had the thing prob 300' up during the performance, and blinking the LED to the music. you could probably see the thing from swansea...
Definitely blew some minds... that were already being "stretched"... if you know what i mean.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:27 PM
Swansea, Massachusetts
Joined Dec 2004
2,088 Posts
First thing... Andy, you gotta let us know when your gonna do something cool like that again !! I'm only a few miles away, I would go check that out.....
Anyway, after checking the historic weather for April, I'm wondering if I jumped the gun on the date. I'm thinking it may still be cold. The first or second week in May might be better. give me some feedback.....let me know what you think....to cold will be no fun, but too hot isn't so nice either.

I'm so confused...Even thought about consulting my dad's favorite weather book, the farmers almanac!!! But I'm not that old and superstitious yet!

I want to do it early.... but not if it'll be cold.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:58 PM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
871 Posts
Quote:
First thing... Andy, you gotta let us know when your gonna do something cool like that again !! I'm only a few miles away, I would go check that out.....
Anyway, after checking the historic weather for April, I'm wondering if I jumped the gun on the date. I'm thinking it may still be cold. The first or second week in May might be better. give me some feedback.....let me know what you think....to cold will be no fun, but too hot isn't so nice either.

I'm so confused...Even thought about consulting my dad's favorite weather book, the farmers almanac!!! But I'm not that old and superstitious yet!

I want to do it early.... but not if it'll be cold.
Well sonny, all you gotta do is take a look at the squirrel tails and how the crows are barking in the morning. If the squirrel tails are fluffy then you know there will be cold until May. Now if the crows are barking and not crowing when there is a half moon on a clear night, then you know there will be an early thaw and April will be warmer than colder. But if that's the case, you really should see how quick a coyote runs if you shoot at him and miss. If he runs straight then spring will be early but if he runs like a old Dodge Dart that needs a front end alignment, then you know spring will be late and you should consider May instead of April. Are you following this?

Now this will all go out the window if a gray Owl is hooting on the 17th of February. If you hear a gray owl hooting on the 17th of February, then you just can't be certain if April is going to be warm or cold.

No superstition, it's science. The animals will tell you, you just have to listen. Pass that mason jar back ov'r here will ya.................
RMS is offline Find More Posts by RMS
Closed Thread