HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined May 2010
29 Posts
Discussion
Dodger EP 3 Channel Thermal Glider 1980mm (ARF)

New glider from HK
http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store...80mm_ARF_.html

Has anybody test the specific Glider ?
It reminds the Gentle Lady one. Any flight characteristics?
Will be suitable for F5J flight?
BP1011 is offline Find More Posts by BP1011
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:04 AM
Joined May 2010
29 Posts
Name: dodgerep-sub1.jpg
Views: 125
Size: 94.2 KB
Description:
BP1011 is offline Find More Posts by BP1011
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:51 AM
Australia, TAS, Devonport
Joined May 2011
143 Posts
I ordered one of these this week, hoping to learn how to catch thermals with it as it was cheapest powered plane I could find with a very low wing loading. Hoping the 900 g flying weight is accurate and it won't need too much nose weight to balance.

Will upload pictures when it arrives.
Heliosphere is offline Find More Posts by Heliosphere
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:47 PM
Joined Nov 2010
18 Posts
Has anyone flown this glider yet? If yes could you please pass on your thoughts on it?

I have been thinking of going back to basics and building a Gentle Lady however I suspect this is based on the GL and is cheaper in ARF form than the GL kit!
S1MON is offline Find More Posts by S1MON
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:09 PM
Joined May 2011
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1MON View Post
Has anyone flown this glider yet? If yes could you please pass on your thoughts on it?

I have been thinking of going back to basics and building a Gentle Lady however I suspect this is based on the GL and is cheaper in ARF form than the GL kit!
Hi S1mon, I'm edging slowly closer to flying mine. We did an unboxing video of it here:
Unboxing the Hobbyking Dodger EP Thermal Glider (3 min 33 sec)

Not sure when I'll actually be able to fly it as the motor I was hoping to use turned out to not be suitable, going to order one of these to use instead: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1100kv.html

I was happily surprised at how light it is, about 480 g sans motor/battery/sans/electrics.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:31 PM
Joined Nov 2010
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliosphere View Post
Hi S1mon, I'm edging slowly closer to flying mine. We did an unboxing video of it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umr1htGvpZ8

Not sure when I'll actually be able to fly it as the motor I was hoping to use turned out to not be suitable, going to order one of these to use instead: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1100kv.html

I was happily surprised at how light it is, about 480 g sans motor/battery/sans/electrics.
On the strength of your video (watched and ordered before I saw this post) I ordered a Dodger... it does look good value for money. I was considering building it as a pure glider but I'll be interested to see how you go on with that motor. By the way, what ESC will you be using?

Looking forward to hear how you go on with it.

Thanks

Simon
Old Feb 03, 2013, 10:20 AM
FLYING Better Than Drugs
Thonotosassa, FL
Joined May 2007
260 Posts
I am supprised that there is not more interest in this model, I sure want one and am only waiting till it get to the USA wearhouse to order it.

Bob
oldfish is offline Find More Posts by oldfish
Old Apr 08, 2013, 12:54 PM
Joined Nov 2010
18 Posts
Well I wanted mine to be a pure glider so I've given it a new nose.

I will get it finished this week and will be looking forward to some light winds
Old Jun 13, 2013, 02:18 AM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,142 Posts
I'm thinking about buying one of these but there isn't much info on it in the forums.
How does it fly?
Did you get the 950 gram flying weight or is that optimistic?
Can the wing be set up as two piece?

Thanks for any info.
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:58 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,142 Posts
I realized that with shipping, the Dodger is more expensive than a Tower Hobbies Vista. That's probably why it isn't popular.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 07:53 AM
Joined May 2011
143 Posts
Hi John, I've had a few of flights of my Dodger now. Only slope soaring, haven't tried thermalling yet. It flies quite nicely, very sedate. Just about flies itself once it's trimmed! It was a bit underpowered with an 1100kv motor with 8 x 4 prop, climbed significantly better with a 9 x 4.5.

I had to add about 95 g of nose weight to get mine to balance (probably because I've used quite a small motor). I think it came out at about 880 g all up with a 1.3 Ah 3s lipo.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 01:51 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliosphere View Post
Hi John, I've had a few of flights of my Dodger now. Only slope soaring, haven't tried thermalling yet. It flies quite nicely, very sedate. Just about flies itself once it's trimmed! It was a bit underpowered with an 1100kv motor with 8 x 4 prop, climbed significantly better with a 9 x 4.5.

I had to add about 95 g of nose weight to get mine to balance (probably because I've used quite a small motor). I think it came out at about 880 g all up with a 1.3 Ah 3s lipo.
Thanks for the info.
880g is pretty good. The ballast is understandable since the nose does look short. Too bad they didn't stretch the nose a little when they copied the basic design of the Gentle Lady.

I read the manual but couldn't find any reference to the airfoil. Is it a flat bottomed airfoil?

John
Last edited by John Gallagher; Jun 14, 2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:45 PM
Arizona Aviator
Prescott AZ
Joined Dec 2004
165 Posts
Anyone got an update on building/flying the Dodger?
pysonya is offline Find More Posts by pysonya
Old Nov 18, 2013, 06:35 PM
FLYING Better Than Drugs
Thonotosassa, FL
Joined May 2007
260 Posts
Now that it has showed up in the USA I have order mine. If it flies half as good as the plane its modeled after its going to be a great glider
Bbo
oldfish is offline Find More Posts by oldfish
Old Apr 01, 2014, 06:05 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,359 Posts
Bump, I just saw this.

Is it as much an Electra clone as it looks? If so, I'm definitely interested. Learned to fly on one of those and I'd love one if it's as light as the Electra was.
Rampage is online now Find More Posts by Rampage