HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:02 AM
Northern California
Joined Sep 2002
402 Posts
Discussion
Help! F-86 DOA???

Hi guys, just got my Great Planes F-86, but I think it might be DOA.
I am using the Anylink module that came free with the plane. I have tried the module on both my Hitec Eclipse 7 and also my DX6i. On both radios the green light comes on the AnyLInk as it is supposed to. When I plug the battery into the plane though, I get nothing. No lights. No sound. Nada. Is there a way to bind it that I don't see? It seems others have come bound already. I tried moving all sticks to attempt to arm it in case it was mapped wrong. I am thinking it may be dead?

Shouldn't I have some sort of light on the receiver as soon as I plug a battery in even if it isn't bound? Never had a plane that didn't beep or something when you plug in the battery.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
I was SO ready to maiden today too...
fogflyer is offline Find More Posts by fogflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:27 AM
Northern California
Joined Sep 2002
402 Posts
Oh, just wanted to add that I tried two different batteries also.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:18 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,539 Posts
I fly futaba so it's tough to say what the problem is. Overall though I haven't heard of anyone reporting a GP f-86 that didn't work out of the box.
pdawg is online now Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:22 PM
Northern California
Joined Sep 2002
402 Posts
Could you possibly check and see what your F-86 does if you plug the battery into it while your TX is OFF? Is there any light or sound at all? If so, then I think my plane is dead. If not, perhaps it is just not bound to the AnyLink. Thanks for the response!
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:39 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fogflyer View Post
Could you possibly check and see what your F-86 does if you plug the battery into it while your TX is OFF? Is there any light or sound at all? If so, then I think my plane is dead. If not, perhaps it is just not bound to the AnyLink. Thanks for the response!
i believe mine has a red light on the esc that illuminates when powered on. Right away I get control surface movement ,but the throttle doesnt activate until armed as per the manual. Hopefully it is just a loose connection 4 you. Good luck it lots of fun when it works
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:49 PM
Northern California
Joined Sep 2002
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltreato View Post
i believe mine has a red light on the esc that illuminates when powered on. Right away I get control surface movement ,but the throttle doesnt activate until armed as per the manual. Hopefully it is just a loose connection 4 you. Good luck it lots of fun when it works
Thanks, it probably IS a loose connection, but seeing as I can't get to the ESC, it will probably have to go back. I would still like to verify that a light should come on even if there is no transmitter turned on. I am just trying to rule out that it is a problem with binding.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:25 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
566 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, it probably IS a loose connection, but seeing as I can't get to the ESC, it will probably have to go back. I would still like to verify that a light should come on even if there is no transmitter turned on. I am just trying to rule out that it is a problem with binding.
i will try checking for you tomorrow.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:21 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
566 Posts
goog news. I just went out to my car in the driveway and put a battery in my Sabre. Nothing happened at all, no light, no sound, so yours ia probably fine. I fly with a dx6i on anylink so I think my usefulness ends here.

Good luck its a fun plane! Make sure you do a cg balance when you're ready to toss it up.

Edit. Oh wait u do have a dx6i. Make sure it is powered off, insert headphone jack then power to anylink. Once on I believe I powered on my tx and it boun the first time. I think there is a way to force a bind, but you may need a forum search for that. I got mine back in March so it has been a while. All I recall doing was reversing some controls and setting some expo and DR. I soon got rid of the d/r as I find responsiveness important with this little jet. I am sure you will get this sortrd out.
Last edited by eltreato; Sep 09, 2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:28 AM
Northern California
Joined Sep 2002
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltreato View Post
goog news. I just went out to my car in the driveway and put a battery in my Sabre. Nothing happened at all, no light, no sound, so yours ia probably fine. I fly with a dx6i on anylink so I think my usefulness ends here.

Good luck its a fun plane! Make sure you do a cg balance when you're ready to toss it up.
Thanks, I appreciate that!
Problem is, now it could be either a power problem on the plane, or a problem with the Anylink. I will try and do a little troubleshooting with the power on the plane. Try and see if it is getting power,at the receiver when plugged in. Maybe it will just magically work in the morning :-)
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:42 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
946 Posts
Yeah I had the same problem. I can't even remember how it was fixed but it is fine now. I could not understand how to get it to work even though many here explained it several times. Then I finally figured it out from what others were saying. As soon as i figured it out i saw the short video of how to program the tx to respond to the any link, go figure. Any way there is a video from Great Planes that explains how to properly set it up. Google it . do what it says to do and you will be good to go !
BTW: There is nothing wrong with your plane or radio. ( I hope) you just need to get your tx in sync with the anylink. Watch the video.
Good Luck.
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:50 AM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
566 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate that!
Problem is, now it could be either a power problem on the plane, or a problem with the Anylink. I will try and do a little troubleshooting with the power on the plane. Try and see if it is getting power,at the receiver when plugged in. Maybe it will just magically work in the morning :-)

No problem, it looks like u reponded b4 I edited my last post. I think it will just come down to messing with it until it binds.

cheers!
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:23 AM
Northern California
Joined Sep 2002
402 Posts
OK, after a little troubleshooting today, here is what I have.
The batteries are all good . I DO have 5 volts at the plug coming out of the ESC. (Checking that was NOT an easy task... man those things are small!) I have watched the videos... twice... and seem to be doing everything properly as far as setup up the TX goes.

I do have one last thing I was hoping someone could check for me. I was thinking perhaps the ESC got plugged into the wrong spot on the receiver? Can someone verify that their ESC (the plug with the red/white/black wires) is plugged into the inboard copilot side? That would be the second closest one to the right wing. It is a shot in the dark, but I am running out of ideas.
Thanks to all of you that have helped me out!
Old Sep 09, 2012, 04:52 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
566 Posts
Quote:
OK, after a little troubleshooting today, here is what I have.
The batteries are all good . I DO have 5 volts at the plug coming out of the ESC. (Checking that was NOT an easy task... man those things are small!) I have watched the videos... twice... and seem to be doing everything properly as far as setup up the TX goes.

I do have one last thing I was hoping someone could check for me. I was thinking perhaps the ESC got plugged into the wrong spot on the receiver? Can someone verify that their ESC (the plug with the red/white/black wires) is plugged into the inboard copilot side? That would be the second closest one to the right wing. It is a shot in the dark, but I am running out of ideas.
Thanks to all of you that have helped me out!
i will check mine tonight for you.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:17 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
566 Posts
confirmed it is inboard on starboard side.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:39 AM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
Contact GP Hobby Services. The contact info is in your manual.

DJ
D Johnson is offline Find More Posts by D Johnson