SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:56 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,521 Posts
Question
How do you transport your super fragile or high prized planes?

So, there it is. Nice and convenient ready-made boxes cost a fortune since they have to be purchased in bulk. I like the carrying cases (whether white or plain), but are there any one off sources?

boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:59 AM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,521 Posts
They would also help for storage.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:25 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,268 Posts
Where did you source the first image? Those are nice boxes. Can you point me to a place that sells them, even in bulk?
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:16 AM
Crazy Canuck
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Apr 2007
2,244 Posts
Take your Parkzone box that your um planes come in and turn it inside out and paint it white?
NEWBEFLYER is online now Find More Posts by NEWBEFLYER
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:00 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Here's a box I made of foam board.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...47&postcount=3

I'm now planning to make a universal box with strips of Velcro and foam blocks with Velcro so they can be repositioned for different airplanes.

I'm overrun with Horizon boxes and thinking about hanging my models from the chandelier and just using one or two universal boxes made as small as possible.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:43 AM
Crazy Canuck
Joined Apr 2007
2,244 Posts
Not that's an great idea ,a micro plane chandelier!! put some LED lights along it and hang it over the dinning room table and your guest would be AMAZED!!! Love the idea of a custom box with adjustable velcro straps in it to carry different planes.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:29 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBEFLYER View Post
Not that's an great idea ,a micro plane chandelier!! put some LED lights along it and hang it over the dinning room table and your guest would be AMAZED!!! Love the idea of a custom box with adjustable velcro straps in it to carry different planes.
Totally kidding about the chandelier. Dining room! What a concept. Guests? This is a one room apartment and the place is full of airplanes and books. I will probably hang airplanes from string like a 1940's kid's room one of these days. Some of the books I can dump, some are too valuable and not on kindle.

I have at least ten Horizon type boxes and that's getting to be a real problem.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:03 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
Where did you source the first image? Those are nice boxes. Can you point me to a place that sells them, even in bulk?
Search for "corrugated carrying case", "corrugated suitcase box", "corrugated briefcase box" in google. There are m any places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBEFLYER View Post
Take your Parkzone box that your um planes come in and turn it inside out and paint it white?
Too big and clunky, and not as clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post

I'm now planning to make a universal box with strips of Velcro and foam blocks with Velcro so they can be repositioned for different airplanes.

I'm overrun with Horizon boxes and thinking about hanging my models from the chandelier and just using one or two universal boxes made as small as possible.

Pete
I like.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:14 PM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
490 Posts
I put together an Ember2 from parts and needed a safe, dust free place to store it, perhaps also as a transport to the field, so there was a box from a toaster my wife recently bought, not the right size, but big enough for me to reconfigure it and line it with foam, also made a rig to support and secure the airframe frame inside.
caymin last is offline Find More Posts by caymin last
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:03 PM
Senior Moments...I forgot
New Hyde Park, NY
Joined Mar 2001
1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post

Pete
I have made several foam board boxes. Lately I am doing the same thing with velcro to use one box for several planes.

John F. Clarke
JohnC is offline Find More Posts by JohnC
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:23 PM
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
713 Posts
I did something similar after making a Dynamic Foamy 342. I used a Champ box for the template. I had to enlarge it to fit the plane and did so by tracing an repositioning it on some large cardboard pieces I had saved.

I just finished one of their Yak 55s - a really neat plane - which is even larger. I wound up modifying an outer shipping box that I received a UMX Extra 300 in. The Yak JUST fit.

The box I made for the 342 is here. Crude, but effective!

Don
Digital Don is offline Find More Posts by Digital Don
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:36 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,323 Posts
How to make awesome protective travel boxes for your planes:

Lurk around the loading dock at your local supermarket.

Find where they toss the empty cardboard produce boxes.

Grab a few Potato and Apple boxes - they're really sturdy. (Stay away from the turnip and onion boxes - they stink bad time)

If an employee tries to stop you, tell him you're from the Food and Drug Administration and that you've been ordered to test for salmonella and e coli --- that will stop them in their tracks!!

Drive off and come home. Don't shop there for couple of weeks. They've got better things to think of, and they'll forget the whole thing.

Now, box cutter and packing tape gun in hand, make the most awesome travel box you can imagine!!

Isn't this hobby fun??
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:17 AM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,995 Posts
I unfolded the box my UM Champ came in... I measured it and designed a worksheet to help me calculate values for other sizes. I just used it for the first time, taking some cardboard from a larger box and building a crate for the "Cartoon C-119" I'm just finishing (the build thread is linked HERE)

I am very pleased with the result.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:22 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,784 Posts
i once had to mail three pine cones that could not get damaged at all. i ended up welding a solid metal box. shipped flat rate. worked great for me.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:41 AM
Crazy Canuck
Joined Apr 2007
2,244 Posts
Here's what I came up with