HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:23 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,129 Posts
Contact Class Secretary, Jim Hensel, at infinity54@theamya.org He keeps a pretty up to date list of boats that are for sale.

Also, join the class site on the Yahoo! Groups, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/I54sailors/ and post there. Not everyone tells Jim when they are considering selling their boat.

Steve
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:55 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
880 Posts
I am not aware of any boats for sale at the moment except Ron Locke's boat. One just sold this weekend at SFMYC and I think the fleet will have a gained a new enthusiastic sailor. I let him sail my boat on Saturday for a while and he really enjoyed the experiance. We shall see.
Is anyone interested in a new boat? Getting a buyer or two together and maybe we can pressure GRP to build a couple of new boats. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:32 AM
Joined Nov 2010
880 Posts
Has anyone reinforced their rudder post. I notice mine has some play fore and aft.
Still wondering if someone else is looking to get new sails in the near future. Ryan
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:48 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,129 Posts
The rudder post in mine is a little sloppy, but not so bad that I want to mess with it. Just getting my hand back in that far to take the control arm off and on the post when I polished the rudder was a royal PITA.

I think you would have to remove the deck (very difficult to do without damaging either the hull or deck) in order to do much to the rudder log.

BTW, if you want to think about making your own sails, I have a set of patterns for the I-54 and two multi-degree lofting boards that were given to me by the sailor that made the sails on my boat. I have been very happy with the sails - easy to tune with a broad range of adjustments and they seem just as fast as those from commercial sailmakers. They have a little more luff curve and camber than the Carl Tulp set that were on the boat when I bought it.

I would loan both the patterns and boards to you, but you would need to get your own fabric and reinforcing material. With a little reading about how to make the panels line up (I think I have a reprint of some instructions on how to do that too) they should be very easy to make.

Steve
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:24 PM
Joined Nov 2010
880 Posts
Steve,
Thank you for the offer on the sail making. Not really my thing. Looks like I will be cutting a hole in my deck to stiffen the rudder post. Yep Natoma is what I saw on the web site. See ya Sunday. Ryan
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:10 PM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
I 54

I bought the hull, keel and rudder at an antique shop in Seattle after the Boat Show. (Couldn't afford to up grade from my Cascade 36 sailboat.

After reading all the posts I am concerned that I might not be able to find all the necessary rigging to complete the boat.

I do have a model 12 meter hull that I need to start working on but I really want to start sailing the I54.

Any help would be great.

Captain MacG
deepair is offline Find More Posts by deepair
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:58 AM
Joined Nov 2010
880 Posts
Capt. Mac,
You should be able to purchase a 12MM round high modulas carbon mast tube and all the parts needed to complete your rig aftermarket. Check out the Radio Sailing website in Tazmania, AUS. They go all the good stuff. Midwest Model Yachts can supply you with the mast.
PM me offline and we can chat about sails. Grap a copy of the class rules from the AMYA web site. Join the Infinity 54 yahoo groups as well. Ryan
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:13 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,129 Posts
A little closer to home, and with less shipping, you can get masts from Ken Bauser (email him at KBsails@aol.com).

I hope your hull came with at least a little deck hardware, like the fairleads, chain plates and jib rack, but if not you can get any of the SailsEtc parts from Leading Edge Hobbies in Kingston ON Canada. http://www.leadingedgehobbies.com/we...ew&target=1470 They also sell a few Variant Marine parts, some of which you might be able to use.

If you don't see what you need, Google for the SailsEct catalog to get their part number and with a phone call, Leading Edge will order it for you. It does take a few weeks since special orders come from England, but between them Midwest, Worth Marine and eBay seller Toyboat00, you can get what you need.

The Infinity is supposed to be a strict one-design class with only OEM parts being used, however since the hardware is now out of production, most race directors will overlook aftermarket parts as long as they are located according to the class rules (like the mast and chain plate mounts) and do not improve upon the function of the original part.

BTW, are their other Infinity's in the Seattle area? It would help if you had another boat to look at to see what you need to order. If not, let me know and I can take photos of my boat so you can see what the original boat looked like.

Do you have the hatch cover? If not, you may have to find someone who is willing to make a mold off theirs and make one yourself. That may end up being the most difficult part to find.

Steve
Infinity #62
Last edited by FoamCrusher; Feb 27, 2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:18 PM
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
Infinity 54 parts

I belong to the Portland Yacht Club and several of the members are avid RC Model sailboaters.

The hulll I bought in Seattle has some of the deck hardware, jib rack, chain plates and four turn buckels, no hatch cover. I called a couple of the bigger hobbie shops in the area and they told me they don't sale mast or sails so I am going to try the on-line resources that Steve of Foam Cruiser recommended. Any recommendations for RC gear, sails mast and hardware will be greatly appreciated.

Several of us made fiberglass hulls for the US 12 Meter but I am waiting until next winter to get working on that project.

Capt MacG
S/V Child of the Mist
Cascase 36
deepair is offline Find More Posts by deepair
Old Mar 01, 2013, 12:01 AM
Joined Nov 2010
880 Posts
Is there anyone out there looking for a new set of sails? I am and considering saiks by sirius sails siriussails.com. Any feedback from any of you?
Capt Mac keep us aprised of your progress. Ryan
Old Mar 01, 2013, 11:30 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepair View Post
Any recommendations for RC gear, sails mast and hardware will be greatly appreciated.
Capt MacG & Ryan:

Most of the Sacramento fleet uses sails from Rod Carr http://www.carrsails.com/Catalog.html . They look to be well made and the skippers are happy with them. Price is $140 + depending upon additions like draft stripes and numbers and of course, shipping.

I would also check with Ken Bauser at kbsails@aol.com. I have several sets of his US1M sails and I am very pleased with them. Mine have tape reinforced leeches so they are sturdy, but touchy to tune...small vang adjustments cause large differences in twist. Not a problem once you get used to it.

His prices are about 60% of other makers and the quality appears to be the same. Since he also sells masts, you might be able to have him wrap the sails around the mast and save some shipping.

You will need the fittings for the mast; tangs, spreader bracket and tubes and a gooseneck/vang. Most of these are SailsEtc parts available from Midwest Model Yachting http://www.midwestmodelyachting.com/Goosenecks.asp SailsEtc has several different styles and sizes of vangs so study the descriptions carefully before ordering.

For booms, carbon fiber or aluminum arrow shafts work well and the attachment points (I use tiny I-screws sold for picture framing) can be epoxied into holes drilled in the shaft. Don't forget to order at least 10 bowises as you will need those for the forestay, jib luff, downhaul, outhauls and sheet control adjustments.

Too bad about not having a hatch. It is going to be almost impossible to find one so you and/or your buddies will probably have to make one. If you can borrow one to use as a master to make a plaster mold, then you can lay it up with two layers of light fiberglass and resin. If you can't find a master to use as the plug, it gets more complicated, but still possible - just lots more work. Your buddies probably know how to do it.

Steve
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:29 PM
Joined Nov 2010
880 Posts
Great suggestions steve. Would like some help with an article to go in the next AMYA newsletter. Anyone want to contribute? The article will talk a bit about the history of the boat and maybe profile one of our local sailors, have some go fast tips and most of all info on NAC.
Ryan
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:54 PM
Joined Nov 2010
880 Posts
My boat is ready to go tomorrow to SMYC races. Got the jib topping lift modification done today and ordered a new set of sails for my other rig. Next up, a servo update for the boat. Ryan
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:10 PM
Joined Nov 2010
880 Posts
Those of you that missed the races in Sacto missed some good sailing. Steve V. carried the day by one point over me. Was a lot fun sailing against the Sacto Infinity Group. We had five boats out today. Ryan
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:59 AM
Joined Nov 2010
880 Posts
Capt. Mac. have you had any luck finding some parts to put your boat together??
I just aquired another I 54 that I am going to get into sailing mode. Is there anyone out there that has an extra hatch in good shape?? Hope to see some sailor over at SFMYC tomorrow for opening day. I think our first race is in two weeks. Ryan