SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:26 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Yeah I want to go to the one later this month. Depends on schedule conflicts. You have an SB? Let me know when you finish your sail winch, would love to have a local sparing partner. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:06 PM
BabyBootLegger
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
I don't own one but have been looking for one.
Giovanni
sunworksco is offline Find More Posts by sunworksco
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
You should talk to Bob, I bet he could find you a boat. Would love to have another in the fleet. Would love to do some Infinity sailing when you get your boat ready Ryan
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:03 PM
BabyBootLegger
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
Delete
Last edited by sunworksco; Oct 14, 2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Xxxc
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:05 AM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Apr 2012
614 Posts
SBOD OFF-SEASON "BEER-CAN" Racing @ SFMYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Well no SB sailing at Spreckles this sunday. Let me know when you want to do some sailing. Ryan
Several SB skippers (Wheelers, whatever) plan to sail informally this off-season. This is an unofficial (beer-can), no fee, registration food or prizes event. Everyone is welcome. The plan is to have "beer-can"-informal-racing once a month October-February. Some of us need more work on RRS & boat rigging than others as we look forward to September, 2013!!!. So, splash your boat-if you can brave the weather-and join us.

SFMYC, SPRECKELS LAKE, GG PARK, SAN FRANCISCO

SBOD OFF-SEASON SAILING SCHEDULE
SAT. OCT 27 1-3 (racing horn sounds at 1)
SAT. NOV 10 1-3 (over lapping the annual swap-meet)
SAT. DEC 9 1-3
SAT JAN 12 1-3
SAT FEB 9 1-3
MARCH: (SFMYC SANCTIONED SBOD REGATTAS BEGIN)

Jerry Turney, (promotor without portfolio)
SBOD #443
wyldrydes2 is offline Find More Posts by wyldrydes2
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Any SFMYC I54 skippers interested in going to the next SMYC race in Sacto on November 4th? I could take two other people and boats with me. I am also bringing my SB to race. Ryan
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Lets promote our great class in the off season. The boat sails so darn well just not sure why we don't have more people sailing the boat. Along with that also how about a web site for the class? Ryan
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:48 PM
BabyBootLegger
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
I-54's are the greatest !
This sailboat needs to be reborn.
A website would really be nice. To be fair, a selection of larger scale sailboats could be sectioned in a forum. I'm planning to build a 1/16th scale America's Cup Whirlwind. These boats need a forum.
I am nearly finished with my sail-winch CAD drawing.
There is a possibility of making the sail-winch chassis in carbon fiber.
This would make it ultralight and strong.
I can show you some preliminary drawings soon.

Regards,
Giovanni
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:26 PM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Apr 2012
614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldrydes2 View Post
Several SB skippers (Wheelers, whatever) plan to sail informally this off-season. This is an unofficial (beer-can), no fee, registration food or prizes event. Everyone is welcome. The plan is to have "beer-can"-informal-racing once a month October-February. Some of us need more work on RRS & boat rigging than others as we look forward to September, 2013!!!. So, splash your boat-if you can brave the weather-and join us.

SFMYC, SPRECKELS LAKE, GG PARK, SAN FRANCISCO

SBOD OFF-SEASON SAILING SCHEDULE
SAT. OCT 27 1-3 (racing horn sounds at 1)
SAT. NOV 10 1-3 (over lapping the annual swap-meet)
SAT. DEC 9 1-3
SAT JAN 12 1-3
SAT FEB 9 1-3
MARCH: (SFMYC SANCTIONED SBOD REGATTAS BEGIN)

Jerry Turney, (promotor without portfolio)
SBOD #443
5 SBOD skippers turned out for the first off-season "beer-can" race. We're looking for skippers 6 7 8 9 10+ for the November "beer-can" race #2 (Nov 10, 1-3). A big shout out to Ryan, Stephen, Jim & Commodore Bob for making the 6 races of "beer-can" #1 a success. Onward!!!
wyldrydes2 is offline Find More Posts by wyldrydes2
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:57 PM
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
The offer still stands. If any of our bay area I54 skippers want to go to rumble with the sacto fleet, PM me. I am going to their race this coming Sunday. Ryan
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Lots of fun today in Sacramento. Pretty light and patchy wind, but really close sailing. Our class needs help as we only had four boats in Sac. Sounds like there is interest among others for Infinity, but lack of boats is a problem. Anyone have suggestions on finding a new builder for our class and locations of used boats for sale? Ryan
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:36 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,150 Posts
Quote:
Our class needs help as we only had four boats in Sac.
One of the guys has been battling illnesses in the family and the other chose to sail in 3 other classes (the max in one day) because he is in contention for the club championship in those classes). With all of the other classes and the return of the SBOD, it is getting more difficult to get people interested in racing the Infinity. The dearth of available used boats doesn't help.

Quote:
Sounds like there is interest among others for Infinity, but lack of boats is a problem. Anyone have suggestions on finding a new builder for our class
Jim can answer this better since he has been working at doing that for a long time, but the issue has always been finding a reliable quality builder. The Great Recession (and advancing age) wiped out many of the existing boat builders and the few with the skills are interested in other classes, like the Robinsons with the SBOD. If there was an easy answer, someone would have already done it. If any does have an answer I too would like to hear it.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Last edited by FoamCrusher; Nov 05, 2012 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Sloppy fingers
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
I know where one used boat is for sale. If anyone wants a boat, I can send contact info.
I did send an email to Adrian, but so far no reply.
Its a shame as after sailing the boat, I really think its one of the best sailing boats out there in its size and it's a bonus that the class is one design. Ryan
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:58 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,150 Posts
Quote:
I did send an email to Adrian, but so far no reply.
Ryan:

Good luck trying to get him to answer. A little story.....

About 18 months or more ago, I ordered a US1M fin and two IOM rudders from his website. No problem. The site software said I would be contacted within a few days regarding the final price with shipping. After about two weeks and no contact, I emailed...several times over two weeks....and still no answer. Then I called several times over the course of a week and each time it went to voice mail with no response. Then I emailed the "IOM Help" address listed on the site and a woman (forget her name) said she would talk to Adrian. A week and half and still no contact, so I email that address again. No contact for about two weeks when Adrian calls me. No mention of why the delay or apology, he just wanted to make contact. (My guess is that he wanted to have her stop nagging him so he called me.)

We talked about several things (Wheelers mostly) and then he says that he should be getting the fin within a few days.

Several more weeks go by without the fin or any contact and then finally, over 4 months from when I ordered, they arrived. No note or anything in the box...just the fin and two rudders.

I then emailed back and told the woman that if he was unable to get US1M fins that he should remove them from his website. A few weeks later, they were gone. [Note: this is long before his current ISP issues (see his site homepage)]

Now the issue could have been that his supplier (it appears that he is/was not making the fins or rudders himself) was a flake, but at least he should have contacted me and explained and determined whether I wanted to cancel or not.

To not return multiple emails and telephone calls is inexcusable in my view. I have heard others have had similar experiences. IMHO, if we want to grow the class we need a dependable builder in possession of the molds and who actually builds boats. Adrian definitely does not fit the bill.

The question remains, is it better to have a builder who won't communicate and doesn't build boats, or no builder at all?

Perhaps we should think about transitioning to home built kit boats based upon standard measurements????

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Foam crusher,
I get it, Adrian does not have the best reputation for good customer service. Not sure what the deal is as I don't know him at all. Home build I 54 would be ok with me, but you are assuming that someone can build a boat from scratch?? Not sure that is feasable with your average sailor. I think the class needs a builder. We should get a consensus from the current active owners as to whether the class wants adrian to keep the molds or not.
What are others thoughts?? Ryan