SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:44 PM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
All servo options are interesting, looking at Futaba BL2 157HV, and the Hitec HS 7950TH. Both good servos and very powerful. Now hopefully Futaba will be able to fix my 3VCS radio. Probably not gonna make the next Sacramento MYC race, most likely will be racing my Hobie.
Are you gonna have your boat up and running Giovanni in the next month? Once I work out the bugs in mine, would love to sail with you. Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:00 PM
BabyBootLegger
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
Hi Ryan ,
I spoke with Commodore Bob today at Spreckel's Lake today and we talked about your new boat. Sounds like a very nice boat. Can you post photos?
I hope to have a 3-D CAD drawing of the new winch next week and start making the new prototype for my boat. Hope to be at the lake soon.
We are all happy about getting more I-54s in the club.

Regards,
Giovanni
sunworksco is offline Find More Posts by sunworksco
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:08 PM
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
These are some pictures the former owner took for me. I have not taken any myself yet. Ryan
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:43 PM
BabyBootLegger
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
Ryan,
Beautiful boat !
My boat will be parked next to yours soon, at the clubhouse.
The I-54 fleet is now up to six at the SFMYC boathouse.

Regards,
Giovanni
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Well neithet servo I checked into will work according to the manufacturer. So a servo city unit looks like the best option to get more power. See ya on the water guys. Ryan
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:52 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Well neithet servo I checked into will work according to the manufacturer. Ryan
Huh???

I use the HS-7950TH on #62 with a dual arm set up without any problems and in winds stronger than I would like to sail in (boat takes on water through the poor hatch design). Why are they saying it won't work? They aren't waterproof?

It is not waterproof so they don't want to tell you that you can use it in a boat, but as long as you seal the screw tops and seams with water-based silicone bathtub sealer (or dip the whole servo in Plasti-dip http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...4177&catid=699 from Lowes or HD ) and put a little silicon grease on the shaft exit, they work fine.

The off road RC car guys with "creek crawlers" use that servo protected that way as steering servos and they get as wet as they do in our boats.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:23 AM
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Hitec technician said servo might burn up due to constant loadin. Ryan
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:09 AM
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Talked to a guy that sounds like he knows the demands of sailboats at Servo City and he thinks I should be fine with a 7980 for the sail servo. So I think that is the way I am going to go. With a bit of luck I should be at the October Sacramento MYC race. Maybe another SFMYC could be persuaded to go as well?? Ryan
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:26 PM
BabyBootLegger
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
I would consider a geared overdrive servo winch over what they are recommending.
Too bad my new winch production will not be ready until next year.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:49 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor View Post
Talked to a guy that sounds like he knows the demands of sailboats at Servo City and he thinks I should be fine with a 7980 for the sail servo. So I think that is the way I am going to go.
Ryan:

If you are concerned that the servo might overheat and burn out from overloading, any of the Hitec digitals can be programmed (with one of their programming units) to drop down in torque, and thus heat production, if overloaded. You can set it to drop down in 10% increments from 100% (the no drop off default setting) to 50%. You can also set the deadband so the servo under load doesn't sound like a Geiger counter in a uranium mine, the servo travel independent of the Tx settings and you can slow down the travel a little (it is really fast) if your Tx does not have that function.

I have been using a HS-7950TH on 7.4V (485 oz-inch) for 18 months without any problems. While it gets warm on a blustery day, I have never had it drop down to the failsafe level I have set. The larger HS-79780 at 600 oz-inch will not be working as hard and should be more than sufficient. It will be so strong that I would be extra careful not to get any soft body parts between the arm and something hard

Be sure to do your own waterproofing as no matter how strong the servo, water will kill the electronics, and because of the hatch design, the Infinity's do leak if they take water over the deck.

FC
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:37 PM
BabyBootLegger
Joined Nov 2010
656 Posts
My I-54 hatch never leaks. My hatch cover is the non-fiberglass transparent plastic type. It has adhesive-backed foam insulation strip used for windows and doors fixed to the inside perimeter. The hatch can then be held tightly in place with super magnets, just like the RC airplane canopy. Or a simple inverted brass cup hook installed in the middle of the hatch cover with a rubber band attached to the servo board works, as well.
Regards,
Giovanni
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:15 AM
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Is there any interest in the Infinity fleet to plan a fall race where the sacto and the SF fleets could get together and sail against each other? Ryan
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:35 AM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,154 Posts
I doubt it. It is a 3 hour drive for most of them and with make up races now in the schedules between our local clubs they are racing just about every weekend between now and early Nov. so I think it would difficult to generate much interest. Half of the guys are not yet retired so a weekday race would be very difficult.

You could e-mail the Commodore, Jeff Romero, of the SMYC (address on the club website) and he could poll the Infinity sailors.

Setting up a date now to get it into next year's schedule in the summer might generate more interest, particularly since SFMYC has committed to holding the NCR next fall. Getting in some competition against people from outside the Sac area and in the same venue should be much more attractive.

FC
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:08 PM
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Lets have a club challenge regatta? SFMYC vs SMYC sailors and have teams. Best score wins the challenge. Open to suggestions as to what the prize would be. Venue could be negotiated between fleet captains for the first challenge. Anyone have an opinion? Ryan
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:10 AM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Apr 2012
615 Posts
Infinity 54 wanted: dead or alive

Guys,
Next for my fleet (SBOD) is an Infinity54. Let me know if you hear of one for sale. Jim Hensel has a good list of local 54's for starters. Any other leads are appreciated. Onward.

Thanks,
Jerry
SBOD 443
AMYA-SFMYC
Oakland, CA
wyldrydes2 is offline Find More Posts by wyldrydes2