Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:18 PM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,214 Posts
Mini-HowTo
DIY DSM2 to DMSX upgrade using a DX5e DSMX radio

UPDATE: You will get faster binding time, faster servo response, but DMSX will not activate until firmware reflash. BUT there is a way to activate the DSMX using the switches while powering up, it just different from the DX5e activation. If it work I will repost the images on how to do it.
crd is offline Find More Posts by crd
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by crd; Sep 08, 2012 at 08:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:18 AM
United States, UT, Herriman
Joined Jan 2012
2,119 Posts
Nice job. Can I have the dsm2 TX module?
ttabbal is offline Find More Posts by ttabbal
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:26 AM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttabbal View Post
Nice job. Can I have the dsm2 TX module?
I soldered the DSM2 module to the DX5e :-D
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:34 AM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,214 Posts
By the way ALL 6ch work on the DX6i using the DSMX module
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:40 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,551 Posts
Okay, but will it also bind in DSM-X mode ? I doubt it. As far as I know, the command to the module to use DSM-X mode is different. So you have a DSM-X module, but still can only bind DSM-2....

The firmware of the radio needs to be upgraded, too, to enable the DSM-X mode. Sorry, buddy, but your work was useless
You can test it by forcing a brownout. Disconnect RX while TX is on, reconnect it. If the amber LED is blinking, you are DSM2 (DSMX does not have brownout detection)

We used the TX module to build PPM to Spektrum converters, with the help of an Arduino. The code for triggering DSM-X mode is different....
Mukenukem is online now Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:22 AM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem View Post
Okay, but will it also bind in DSM-X mode ? I doubt it. As far as I know, the command to the module to use DSM-X mode is different. So you have a DSM-X module, but still can only bind DSM-2....

The firmware of the radio needs to be upgraded, too, to enable the DSM-X mode. Sorry, buddy, but your work was useless
You can test it by forcing a brownout. Disconnect RX while TX is on, reconnect it. If the amber LED is blinking, you are DSM2 (DSMX does not have brownout detection)

We used the TX module to build PPM to Spektrum converters, with the help of an Arduino. The code for triggering DSM-X mode is different....
Ok I got you, the DX5e has the option to activate the DSMX using the trainer switch and the elevator trim switch, on the DX6i that wont work, but I read someplace you can activate the DSMX on the DX6i using another switches while poering up, I just cant find the link, I'm searching my history with no luck.

So far I like the mod, even though its no DSMX yet the TX module seems to bind faster and servos are snappier too.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by crd; Sep 08, 2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:06 AM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,214 Posts
UPDATE: You will get faster binding time, faster servo response, but DMSX will not activate until firmware reflash. BUT there is a way to activate the DSMX using the switches while powering up, its just different from the DX5e activation. Will update soon.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:12 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,908 Posts
How does it save you 75$ + shipping.

My math says 14$ , if I have DSM2 DX6i in order to get module I need to buy DX5e DSMX selling for 59$ on HH.

So now I need to consider if 14$ is worth saying and voiding the warranty or have done by the techs.

Next bet would be to sell the dsm2 DX6i and use that money towards new radio.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:21 AM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post

My math says 14$ , if I have DSM2 DX6i in order to get module I need to buy DX5e DSMX selling for 59$ on HH.

So now I need to consider if 14$ is worth saying and voiding the warranty or have done by the techs.

You save money if you already have a spare DX5e with DSMX. but you still need to have the firmware updated to enable the DSMX menu. In my case I have (2) DX5e DSMX radios so sacrificing one for test was not a problem.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:02 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,908 Posts
Ok I guess I miss that part in the original post. All good
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:36 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post

Im sure Ebay/used ones can go for cheaper.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:28 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,908 Posts
Of course, I was using current HH pricing.

It's all good, it was prior to fully understanding what the O.P was doing with is mod.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:09 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,551 Posts
Okay, maybe faster binding time, but I cannot imagine how the servos should get "snappier"
The radio tells the TX module "Servo position 29", and both modules send "Servo position 29" to the RX.

I hope you find out how to activate DSM-X. But I doubt it can be activated by pressing some buttons. On the DX4/5 the microcontroller polls the buttons, and if it sees the right combination, it is sending the DSM-X binding data to the TX module. The (DSM2) DX6i does not know this data (actually, it is only 1 bit which is different), so pressing some buttons does nothing like this.

You can do it with hack-modules for other radios, because there you have control what to send to the TX module. On the DX6i the firmware is protected and you would have to change it. Sorry to calm you down, it is not that easy
Mukenukem is online now Find More Posts by Mukenukem