Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:58 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Discussion
How do you guys land straight when perpendicular do the runway?

I guess the title says it all.

How do you guys do it? Every time I come in for a landing It looks straight to me when I'm standing perpendicular but it never is and I end up clipping a bush or something of the like. For me to successfully do this I have to be at the end of the runway (road not real runway) and look at my plane's orientation. I know that's probably a faux pas. It seems to be the only way I can judge everything.

Are there any tricks to judging this?
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:14 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,675 Posts
It is difficult to tell exactly when your airplane is perpendicular to the runway and I always found myself turning to final too early and ending up with the airplane farther out than I had estimated. One aid I have found is to stand on the runway and looking straight down the runway find an object such as a tree or a bush or a building on the horizon. Now when you are at the side of the runway while landing, don't turn to final until your airplane is lined up with that reference object. Since the object on the horizon is so far away the angle it makes when you are at the side of the runway is relatively small. So when you turn final you should find that the airplane is lined up with the runway. If you are still off a little bit it is just a matter of adjusting your final turn reference point one way or the other.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
It is difficult to tell exactly when your airplane is perpendicular to the runway and I always found myself turning to final too early and ending up with the airplane farther out than I had estimated. One aid I have found is to stand on the runway and looking straight down the runway find an object such as a tree or a bush or a building on the horizon. Now when you are at the side of the runway while landing, don't turn to final until your airplane is lined up with that reference object. Since the object on the horizon is so far away the angle it makes when you are at the side of the runway is relatively small. So when you turn final you should find that the airplane is lined up with the runway. If you are still off a little bit it is just a matter of adjusting your final turn reference point one way or the other.

Larry
Are you saying let it fly over your head as it comes down or let it turn in front of you and then line it up?
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:50 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
6,906 Posts
for my runway (runway, not road) i prefer being closer to (but not at) the middle. that way i see the final turn and approach and adjust and when the "rubber hits the road" i have a better vantage point. i just picked this method based on getting accustomed to what makes me feel comfortable.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:29 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
for my runway (runway, not road) i prefer being closer to (but not at) the middle. that way i see the final turn and approach and adjust and when the "rubber hits the road" i have a better vantage point. i just picked this method based on getting accustomed to what makes me feel comfortable.
Thank you for the information
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:44 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post

Larry
Read this again, he's saying to get a reference, then stand beside the runway. And in answer to flying over your head, NO you would be standing beside the runway.
Any time I fly at a new field I go stand in the center of the runway and look up & down the runway to find refernce points. Another thing that helps is to stand parallel to the runway, then use your shoulders as guides or references. Never fly behind you shoulders and use he reference points . ENJOY !!! RED
redh is offline Find More Posts by redh
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:03 PM
New Rochelle, NY
Joined Jun 2008
665 Posts
Fly patterns, ideally a proper pattern where you fly all legs of the pattern, turn on final but instead of landing just work on over flying the runway at say 50 feet or whatever you feel comfortable.. It should rapidly allow you to gain your bearings and judge your approach correctly.
ny_hawk is offline Find More Posts by ny_hawk
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redh View Post
Read this again, he's saying to get a reference, then stand beside the runway. And in answer to flying over your head, NO you would be standing beside the runway.
Any time I fly at a new field I go stand in the center of the runway and look up & down the runway to find refernce points. Another thing that helps is to stand parallel to the runway, then use your shoulders as guides or references. Never fly behind you shoulders and use he reference points . ENJOY !!! RED
I know not to fly over your head that's why I was making sure that't not what he meant.

To clarify, I stand in the middle of where I want to land facing the runway. When it's coming in from the left shoulder I'm fine. Once it passes me and I have to turn is where the trouble starts and it drifts to the left. I take it I'm not coming down soon enough? Am I inadvertently adding rudder?
Last edited by Babadush; Sep 07, 2012 at 10:19 PM. Reason: i forgot to say something else
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:20 PM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
6,906 Posts
i'm sorry. i likely misunderstood. you say the plane passes you and then you make the turn? i was talking about past the final turn. just to clarify.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:01 PM
I like to fly!
United States, WI, Monona
Joined May 2011
227 Posts
If you're still bad at lining up, just practice circling in pattern at your field. Once you start being able to circle and coordinate turns so you fly directly over the runway every single time, you'll be able to line up much easier. If that doesn't work, spend a lot of time on a simulator. I do it in the winter, and I can put my planes down on centerlines!
alexkmmll is offline Find More Posts by alexkmmll
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:05 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
i'm sorry. i likely misunderstood. you say the plane passes you and then you make the turn? i was talking about past the final turn. just to clarify.
Oh no. Imagine this. There is a road in front of me, about 100ft long. It's going north to south. I'm in the middle of it facing east. I go all the way north turn the plane and then line up with the road about 50ft away. I try slowing down enough to get it to land where I am standing but I don't know how slow this plane can go will full flaps (Durafly 1100mm Sky Raider) So just to be safe I don't want to go too slow. It ends up about 5ft off the ground as it passes me in the middle of the road. Then as I'm slowly lowering throttle It seems to keep moving to the left about a foot or 2 (this road is about 15-20ft wide with curbs) So by the time I'm about to drop throttle enough for touchdown It's not where I thought it was and a bush near the end grabs it.

This is why I wonder if I'm pressing rudder while decreasing throttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkmmll View Post
If you're still bad at lining up, just practice circling in pattern at your field. Once you start being able to circle and coordinate turns so you fly directly over the runway every single time, you'll be able to line up much easier. If that doesn't work, spend a lot of time on a simulator. I do it in the winter, and I can put my planes down on centerlines!
I was doing this some last time I flew it. I'll keep trying it.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:20 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
6,906 Posts
yeah , you can never get em right with the fast movers. my pz-t28 i can place bets on where you want me to land em and i can hover that puppy into place. the spit, no way. thats just the nature of the beast (and good ol' tail draggers). practice practice practice . sorry i'm not of more use than that.
you will always end up in the bushes - just take that as a given. at least once in your flying history for sure. for me the misery is minimized by me being at center (as centered on field as possible). but that may be the worst professional way to go (i do not have any expert tips to handout). again, i dunno.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:26 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
yeah , you can never get em right with the fast movers. my pz-t28 i can place bets on where you want me to land em and i can hover that puppy into place. the spit, no way. thats just the nature of the beast (and good ol' tail draggers). practice practice practice . sorry i'm not of more use than that.
you will always end up in the bushes - just take that as a given. at least once in your flying history for sure. for me the misery is minimized by me being at center (as centered on field as possible). but that may be the worst professional way to go (i do not have any expert tips to handout). again, i dunno.
Oh if that's a part of flying them that's a perfectly acceptable answer to me. it just means I have to practice more. The Super cub I can drop anywhere I want. I guess that's what I'm used to.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:49 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
6,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babadush View Post
Oh if that's a part of flying them that's a perfectly acceptable answer to me. it just means I have to practice more. The Super cub I can drop anywhere I want. I guess that's what I'm used to.
the pz t-28 is basically a low-wing cub to me. that doesnt mean thats the right way to look at it. but yeah, if you can land the cub wherever (a normal experience), landing the t-28 is a natural; progression. these two planes are a legend and the best planes one can ever buy.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:53 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
the pz t-28 is basically a low-wing cub to me. that doesnt mean thats the right way to look at it. but yeah, if you can land the cub wherever (a normal experience), landing the t-28 is a natural; progression. these two planes are a legend and the best planes one can ever buy.
I have 3536 1400kv motor and ailerons on my super cub. This was preparation for my sky raider. It's a bit harder to land on target with the added weight and faster motor. It's hard to judge how fast it's going