HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:28 PM
Who Dat!
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
+1 on the ouch. next time just order a set of bearings from rcbearings.com for ~$7 and replace them yourself. its an easy job.
GeetarJoe is offline Find More Posts by GeetarJoe
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:11 PM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Aug 2011
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeetarJoe View Post
+1 on the ouch. next time just order a set of bearings from rcbearings.com for ~$7 and replace them yourself. its an easy job.
That's what I was thinkin' .....Shoo
shooboy is online now Find More Posts by shooboy
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,522 Posts
You could have gotten the bearings online for less than 10 bucks.
datsunguy is online now Find More Posts by datsunguy
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:08 AM
United States, PA, Southampton
Joined Aug 2012
35 Posts
Ya, I know, But I'm in the the process of packing up and moving, bought a new house. I just want it done. Well they finished the engine and told me it was test run and all was good. Should be here tomorrow. I'll let you know how it runs.
JBG7676 is offline Find More Posts by JBG7676
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:51 PM
Joined Feb 2008
346 Posts
For that repair specifically and the cost of parts, ... I would say that sounds like it is way too much mark-up. Is that repair actually worth that much? I don't know what all was done nor exactly what parts were involved ... just what was mentioned here in this thread. If the parts were $10 +/- and the labor maybe $85? Is there really that much work involved to complete that task? I don't want to take away from their expertise either way .... It seems that a simple straight bench-charge ($25-$35) might cover everything as far as the labor, ... then a parts and materials charge added to that? Keep in mind, .. I didn't see the engine and dont know the overall shape it was in when it went to the service department. I would suppose there might be a basic shipping charge that is affirdableas well?

JBG said it was received on the 12th and dis-assembled on that day. How hard is it to soak in a cleaning tank and remove (4) backplate screws and some head bolts, ... especially when you have an active work bench that is specifically set up to do this task and tool-ready? If it were an educated guess ... I want to say 20min or less, ( and I think probably quite a bit less) ... to tear it completely down and maybe 15min or less to re-assemble it for testing. A total time lapse of 45min - 1hour is generous and that engine should be repaired, tested-out, and ready to box up to be shipped back to the " valued customer" If the job takes any longer than that ... maybe there are too many phone calls being transfered to that department during their repair?

What do you think the repair is worth? .... just wondering? Maybe it is worth the $95 dollars?
screilly is offline Find More Posts by screilly
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:08 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,294 Posts
This is why I don't service engines even though I considered it at one point. $95 is a fair price if can't do it yourself. The 45-60 minutes estimated is fair, but there is overhead. So the $60/hr shop rate, plus parts, plus shipping is expected. You simply won't bill 8 hours a shift consistently (we see those can't get the wrist pin or sleeve out threads here). Shipping anything is $9-$12 today if you haven't check rates in the last 5-6 years. If you haven't run your own business or been directly involved in operating one, it's hard to understand the costs involved. That makes the price look high.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Sep 2010
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz View Post
This is why I don't service engines even though I considered it at one point. $95 is a fair price if can't do it yourself. The 45-60 minutes estimated is fair, but there is overhead. So the $60/hr shop rate, plus parts, plus shipping is expected. You simply won't bill 8 hours a shift consistently (we see those can't get the wrist pin or sleeve out threads here). Shipping anything is $9-$12 today if you haven't check rates in the last 5-6 years. If you haven't run your own business or been directly involved in operating one, it's hard to understand the costs involved. That makes the price look high.

Greg
100% agree with this. It takes me about an hours worth of time to do do the bearings and that is with me moving as fast as I can.

The "mechanic" needs to be reasonably astute and trained. You probably won't find anyone that can do the work that is going to do it for less than $30 an hour. Remember that the cost of an employee is not just the "salary". The employer must also match the SS that the employee pays, usually pays part of the medical, and there has to be some staff to process the paychecks, HR, etc. Now don't forget that the electricity, rent/mortgage, property taxes, sales taxes, "net" on rent to landlord, shipping etc. Finally, there must be profit built inot the cost, too. On very small cost repair operations the profit would need to be 25% or so just to stay in business. Some of the profit goes back into the business and what is left is what makes running the whole thing worth while.
Gooroo is online now Find More Posts by Gooroo
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:06 AM
Joined Aug 2012
35 Posts
Hey Guys,
I received engine, will run this weekend. Parts $45, Labor $40, Shipping $10. I will run and let you know if the original "knocking" issue was fixed. They replaced the bearings and adjusted the valves. I'm currently in the process of moving from an apartment to a house so from my perspective it was worth the 95 bucks.This was not a pre-ignition knock, something was not right. Your not going to believe this but I'm actually a certified A&P mechanic, I don't do that kind of work anymore tho. My entire life is in a box right now, LOL!
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:25 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,581 Posts
Something made those bearings go bad..I'd think that if they cleaned the engine thoroughly,replaced the crank and cam bearings,AND the piston ring,that would reach the $45 parts total.$40 for labor is a very fair price,and we expect the shipping to be $10.-Not a bad deal,considering.

I'd like a hint if they recommended any procedures for future protection.

I'm a retired small engine mechanic,and the dealer does most of my work.I just don't want to,anymore.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:42 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,294 Posts
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBPK0&P=ML

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCD24&P=ML

Yes, these can be purchased for 1/4 the price or less, but not at Tower Hobbies as OS OEM parts.

Greg
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:01 PM
Joined Aug 2012
35 Posts
Guys,

You're never gonna believe this. It still has the same strange sound on the high end. I'm pissed and confused!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:09 PM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,294 Posts
What is it mounted to?

Greg
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:26 AM
Joined Aug 2012
35 Posts
GreatPlanes Decathlon
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Feb 2008
346 Posts
Did the repair tech test this engine before service to verify the exact problem and diagnos a repair strategy? I would be concerned if the repairs were even necessary in the first place. I would ask to see the parts that were replaced so I could assess them personally. I don't like to send my stuff into the shop without being able to inspect the work performed and all parts replaced. The repair shops generally don't like to be scrutinized as they work either. Why is that? That's not always the case but my experience throughmany years has put me on guard, .. there are too many underqualified, ... unqualified help in the repair industry. I won't say that there is no qualified techs out there, ... but I want to know the doctor and see their work first-hand.

I work on machines regularly, and when the work is done ... it's right. That doesn't mean something else won't go wrong, .... it doesn't mean I know everything either. If I get a call back on any repair it is never for the same reason as before usnless there is a factory defective part or a valid reason. I also make sure there is an actual problem to be repaired in the first place .... and that the problem(s) is/are solved when the ticket is closed. If it is not possible to isolate a problem or series of compound issues, ... I will note that information on the repair ticket then forward any pertinent information to the customer as a courtesy.

If that engine needed a set of bearings and they caused the knock descridbed by the customer ... then the repair was obviously necessary and their rates, (even though I think they may be higher than I would want to pay), ... would be justified. If the engine were tested and needed bearings, gaskets, etc ... then Ok "They did the job, I don't have to deal with the headache, I got what I wanted, heres your money, Thanks for the service." If the engine didn't need the job in the first place, .. the shop shouls have called the customer to verify their intentions.

If they did not test this engine or assess the repair properly ... What are we expected to pay for .... an un-necessary repair with the same problem we started with? Minus $95.00 .

I think you deserve some documentation as to what is performed and a thorough report each and every time any service / repair is made. A qualified tech can determine it there is excessive wear on any given part if they are inspecting the equipment properly.

I know the shop is in business to make a profit and that's fine. Maybe not too much at one time though? I know that any business has overhead. There will be shipping charges and payroll, ... ect. There are also a lot of tax deductions for licensed businesses to offset their overhead. I would expect there to be more value for the dollar in this specific repair? The problem is not solved and the customer has paid for a premium service imho? I'm not complaining .... just feel there is something out of balance.
screilly is offline Find More Posts by screilly
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:44 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,994 Posts
Just so we all know the facts...

Did you describe THE problem to be fixed?
If so the tech should have enough to go on to make a successful repair. If it were me and it needed the bearings and the valves adjusted I would have done that also, but the PROBLEM described takes priority.

Do you know if the engine was run after the repair?
If not it should have been to confirm a successful repair was made!!

IMO a phone call to the service center should be made to express your concern, or to find out what might be causing the problem.
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Closed Thread