Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:58 PM
United States, NY, Hamburg
Joined Aug 2004
196 Posts
Help!
furion 450 swash plate wobble

just got into finishing the buildup of my furion 450. after getting everything set and in place, i spun the bird up without blades to see if everything was out of the way and not rubbing. i noticed that at slow speed, the swash wobbles a bit. so i thought i had a bent main shaft (mind you this bird has never been flown), so i replaced the shaft with a new one and still have the wobble. it's a fairly large wobble too at about 1mm back and forth. any suggestions?
nuttcase21 is offline Find More Posts by nuttcase21
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:07 PM
Joined Dec 2011
174 Posts
Do you have linkages connected going from the servos to the swash?
I assume so.

I think you'd need to post a video of what you're talking about.

For what it's worth...don't let impatience make your life harder. Build your head w/ just the mainshaft and swash and stack up from there a piece of the head at a time.
js32257 is offline Find More Posts by js32257
Last edited by js32257; Sep 08, 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 07:13 PM
Everyone is an idiot (or I am)
United States, TX, Red Oak
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
Like this?

Wobbly Swash (0 min 15 sec)

Replace it and be done with it!

Good assembly QA BTW ; )
Daddy. is offline Find More Posts by Daddy.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Aug 2004
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by js32257 View Post
Do you have linkages connected going from the servos to the swash?
I assume so.

I think you'd need to post a video of what you're talking about.

For what it's worth...don't let impatiece make your life harder. Build your head w/ just the mainshaft and swash and stack up from there a piece of the head at a time.
linkages are all connected and even. i set this heli up about 6 months ago and had to put it down from being too busy. before i did, i completely programmed it and set the whole head up. the swash moves perfectly flat through collective movements and everything was fine. never did see the swash move before, but honestly i wasn't looking for it either so it may well have been wobbling. to rule out the low speed jitters, i strapped a set of thunder power carbon's on it and brought it up to speed. at full speed the heli seems solid, but winding down it wobbles like a b@st@rd. this heli is my first attempt at getting back into the hobby after some many years so i'm a little rusty. my first bird was an MA pro2K and it flew like a dream without any vibes, those were simple hovers back then but still "flights" nonetheless
i pulled the head off and the shaft runs true throughout spoolup.

Daddy, it wobbles exactly like that. i was trying to take a video but screwed it up. your video sums it up perfectly though. bad swash then? i hate to think so, it's brand new
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:45 AM
Norway
Joined Jun 2011
49 Posts
I had the "ball-joint" in the center of the swash come loose on a brand new Copter x 450 Pro, made the whole swash wobble like crazy. Had to fix it with bearing retainer.
TurboLeon is offline Find More Posts by TurboLeon
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttcase21 View Post

Daddy, it wobbles exactly like that. i was trying to take a video but screwed it up. your video sums it up perfectly though. bad swash then? i hate to think so, it's brand new
Yep, the one in the vid was brand new too with new EXI kit. Got a 500 with new swash, didn't wobble but had axial slop, had to replace it too : (

However, with good new swashes, the heli's are great and with high gains on FBL unit.

Replaced the EXI swash with align, was good. Replaced the 500 Align with an I2RC swash, expensive but you really can tell a difference in quality. Been wanting to try the helioption swash, looks good too.

Anyway, replace and happy flying : )
Ken
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Aug 2004
196 Posts
Pulled the swash, sure enough there was slop in the center ball. Couldn't tell if you moved it side to side but IP and down showed about 1mm of play. Looks like head block may be tweaked too. Can't believe this quality out of MA. Any suggestions as far as swash and head upgrade? Also, can I convert to fbl now or do.I need more electronics and different blades? Fbl easier to fly or should I stick with the paddles, remember I'm learning all over again so consider me a newby. Thanx guys
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
Tuff question and you'll get varied opinions. I say go FBL. Yes, you'll need to buy some electronics and fbl head but you don't have to buy blades.

I flew but stopped because of frustration about 2 years ago. FBL took much of the frustration out of it for me and I really enjoy it now. However, that does mean I spend more money on it now!

Estimate min cost to go FBL, $100 (if you have everything else for a heli to fly flybarred).

Cheers,
Ken
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Aug 2004
196 Posts
the heli is complete. here's my setup:

scorpion 2221-8 11 tooth pinion
ice 50
hitec 5065mg on cyclic
hitec 5084mg on tail
gy520 gyro
tp 2250 3cell batts
ar6200

i'm assuming i'll need a fbl gyro or one of those fbl/rx combo's (i think that's what they are) correct? what else?

also, who makes a quality fbl head?
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:46 PM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttcase21 View Post
Pulled the swash, sure enough there was slop in the center ball. Couldn't tell if you moved it side to side but IP and down showed about 1mm of play. Looks like head block may be tweaked too. Can't believe this quality out of MA. Any suggestions as far as swash and head upgrade? Also, can I convert to fbl now or do.I need more electronics and different blades? Fbl easier to fly or should I stick with the paddles, remember I'm learning all over again so consider me a newby. Thanx guys
Rather than posting here, why not contact MA?

They have been really good at taking care of their customers. What you are seeing is not typical at all. My Furion 450 swash is very tight.
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Aug 2004
196 Posts
not a bad idea. i actually just emailed them today about the fbl kit for the 450, see if there's any progress or not. didn't even think to say something about the swash and head block
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
And check the other forums on here for FBL info. You'll get knowledge and insight from many experienced folks.