HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:28 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Discussion
OT, BEHOLD! the tooth brush that saved the ISS!

The folks flying around up there have been having themselves a bit of an Apollo 13 moment
and the problem was fixed with some handmade tools, the spirit of Macgyver, and a focus on proper interstellar oral hygiene.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:55 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
To quote a friend of mine from the ship; "my toothbrush definitely, my wife possibly, my Harley NEVER!!!!" as in I will share with you LOL! Wonder who gave up their brush for this one?
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:19 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooman2008 View Post
To quote a friend of mine from the ship; "my toothbrush definitely, my wife possibly, my Harley NEVER!!!!" as in I will share with you LOL! Wonder who gave up their brush for this one? Foo
Maybe a redneck astronaut with no teeth---?
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:25 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,100 Posts
From the linked story:

Quote:
The heroic toothbrush, NASA makes sure to point out, was a spare.
They also said it was a" $3 tooth brush", but likely worth a bit more since it costs ~$10,000 to get a pound up in orbit.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:15 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,276 Posts
Do they have a spare in case unexpected visitors show up. Where would the metal shavings have come from that they had to brush away?
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:05 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatmodel View Post
Do they have a spare in case unexpected visitors show up. Where would the metal shavings have come from that they had to brush away?
Regards,
Gerald.
I would reckon metal on metal gouging of a mechanical linkage... presumably aluminum.

as for visitors? it wouldn't be unprecedented.. IIRC a Russian brazilionaire paid for a little vacation up there. he was told not to touch anything, in particular the big, shiny, candy like, red button.

bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome