HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:37 PM
Gravity gets me down.
helicow's Avatar
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,393 Posts
Feda - USPS just delivered my package - no damage - well packaged.

Quick inspection of all the parts look good - the paint job is great.

All the great reports on this one I can not wait to get it in the air. Going to take my time with this.

Question - I got the Hengli motor - do they make spare prop adapters, if that is what they are called. I know if they mount on the shaft, they are.

On some of my other planes, if I have a prop strike, I have bent the adapter and it needs to be replaced. I have not seen these available. Maybe they are a standard size. Just like to have spares if needed.

Thanks, Bob
helicow is online now Find More Posts by helicow
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:03 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,226 Posts
My LHS didn't have any similar sized axles to replace the defective one I got with mine.

Does anybody know what size they are and where to order a replacement?
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:32 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
subsonic's Avatar
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feda View Post
Aviefly offered a neat method to get broken nylon bolts out of the fuse:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=736

Here is a video version of the tip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agzKT...Hn0RSriVqsueog

Cheers,

feda
My way is to slot each spare bolt before I insert them. I just take by dremmel cutoff wheel and grind a slot in the top if the threaded end. To slot 20 spare screws takes just a few minutes. When the gear pulls out at the field, if the screw breaks off flush or under with the hole, I take a 3mm screwdriver and push it through from the top. Works every time.

I originally had 20 screws and am running out! For my next batch ill step up to M5 blind nuts and nylon bolts. On paper they should be 1.56 times stronger than the M4 ones.

Sub
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:40 PM
Registered User
kyalamikid's Avatar
Kyalami, South Africa
Joined Jun 2006
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
My way is to slot each spare bolt before I insert them. I just take by dremmel cutoff wheel and grind a slot in the top if the threaded end. To slot 20 spare screws takes just a few minutes. When the gear pulls out at the field, if the screw breaks off flush or under with the hole, I take a 3mm screwdriver and push it through from the top. Works every time.

I originally had 20 screws and am running out! For my next batch ill step up to M5 blind nuts and nylon bolts. On paper they should be 1.56 times stronger than the M4 ones.

Sub
Nice thinking!

I am using white 15mm M4's from my quadracopter. The plastic is more brittle so they always snap off at the head. Needle nose pliers do the rest.

I will cut slots like you suggest if they start shearing at the blind nut...
kyalamikid is offline Find More Posts by kyalamikid
Last edited by kyalamikid; Dec 18, 2012 at 03:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:48 PM
Registered User
kyalamikid's Avatar
Kyalami, South Africa
Joined Jun 2006
1,509 Posts
Tried the Hengli with a 14x7 but still a little under-powered for 3D for me... I am at 1400m. . Hengli was pulling 36A on my 25C packs and 39 on my 40Cs. For sport/aerobatic the power was ample.

Dropped in a Hacker A30-10XL 900kv (177g). 25C packs now pull 39A and the 40C pulls 45A.

Motor is much more responsive. I found in KE with Hengli sometimes it just didn't have the power to prevent the wing tip from hitting the ground, and in hover I need the reserve for fall outs.

Very happy with the performance now.
kyalamikid is offline Find More Posts by kyalamikid
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:15 PM
3d Kiwi
uptime4downtime's Avatar
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyalamikid View Post
Tried the Hengli with a 14x7 but still a little under-powered for 3D for me... I am at 1400m. . Hengli was pulling 36A on my 25C packs and 39 on my 40Cs. For sport/aerobatic the power was ample.

Dropped in a Hacker A30-10XL 900kv (177g). 25C packs now pull 39A and the 40C pulls 45A.

Motor is much more responsive. I found in KE with Hengli sometimes it just didn't have the power to prevent the wing tip from hitting the ground, and in hover I need the reserve for fall outs.

Very happy with the performance now.
I will let you know how the Sunnysky 920KV goes.
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skywing 38" Build Instructions
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:55 PM
Registered User
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
My LHS didn't have any similar sized axles to replace the defective one I got with mine.

Does anybody know what size they are and where to order a replacement?
I had the same problem with my axles too, but it wasn't the axle that was the problem it was the nuts. So I went to Home Depot and got some replacement locknuts and they worked fine. Sorry I can't remember what size they were though, but just take the axle with you and check the size at the store. Otherwise I just used some spare axles that I had from a 3DHS plane that I had in my box of parts until I could get to the store for the new ones.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:59 PM
EP 3D Flyer
feda's Avatar
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Eyedoc View Post
hey Feda, the airplane in this video seems to be a new model. looks like the new Slick will still use nylon bolts, I heard it's gonna be M6, is that correct?
Hi Eyedoc,

The new plane will use 2 M5 bolts. Skywing says, 2 M6 ones would be too strong and defeat the purpose of using nylon bolts.

Thanks for asking.

Regards,

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:07 PM
EP 3D Flyer
feda's Avatar
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsn View Post
Here's a flight from yesterday. I noticed some wonky behavior but I kept flying. When I landed, I noticed the right aileron's control horn had compeltely ripped of from the surface. This wasn't a lack of glue at the factory either, it took the foam with it! I can't believe it flew that well with one dead aileron!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85uuwaLheuI

BTW, my landing gear is holding up perfectly. I hope they don't change to a wire setup, I love the CF gear with wheel pants.
Hi tsmn,

Great tumbling in the video! Very sweet! But you're hurting her!

I'll report the horn base falling off problem to the manufacturer for future improvement.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Cheers,

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:41 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
subsonic's Avatar
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feda View Post
Hi Eyedoc,

The new plane will use 2 M5 bolts. Skywing says, 2 M6 ones would be too strong and defeat the purpose of using nylon bolts.

Thanks for asking.

Regards,

feda
That's great, sounds like a step in the right direction. One problem, where do I source the m5 nylon bolt replacements? HK do not stock this size (not the bolts or the blind nuts), which is what I was going to use on this edge.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:07 AM
Registered User
kyalamikid's Avatar
Kyalami, South Africa
Joined Jun 2006
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptime4downtime View Post
I will let you know how the Sunnysky 920KV goes.
Thanks, I was going to order one from HiMax, but I keep hitting the ground so was worried the Edge would be toast by the time it got here.
kyalamikid is offline Find More Posts by kyalamikid
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:18 AM
Registered User
kyalamikid's Avatar
Kyalami, South Africa
Joined Jun 2006
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsn View Post
Here's a flight from yesterday. I noticed some wonky behavior but I kept flying. When I landed, I noticed the right aileron's control horn had compeltely ripped of from the surface. This wasn't a lack of glue at the factory either, it took the foam with it! I can't believe it flew that well with one dead aileron!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85uuwaLheuI

BTW, my landing gear is holding up perfectly. I hope they don't change to a wire setup, I love the CF gear with wheel pants.
Wow! Love your control out of the snap/tumbles! Wonderful flying !
kyalamikid is offline Find More Posts by kyalamikid
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:54 AM
Custom Crasher
lowkeylaidback's Avatar
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
That's great, sounds like a step in the right direction. One problem, where do I source the m5 nylon bolt replacements? HK do not stock this size (not the bolts or the blind nuts), which is what I was going to use on this edge.
try this place
http://www.rtlfasteners.com/
for this
http://rtlfasteners.com/RC/758-50.html
lowkeylaidback is offline Find More Posts by lowkeylaidback
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:38 AM
Gravity gets me down.
helicow's Avatar
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,393 Posts
So how tough do you think it would be to change out the blind nuts to handle M5?

I may look at this before putting mine together.
helicow is online now Find More Posts by helicow
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:45 PM
nac
Registered User
nac's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
955 Posts
Sorry but, M5 Nylon bolts, may be a step sideways if they are hard to obtain.

Looking at HK I think only M4 and M6 are available.
nac is offline Find More Posts by nac
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Skywing, Winner's Model, Hokusei, 3DHS 48"-55" EPP Build & Repair Tips groovejet 3D Foamies 407 Jul 24, 2014 07:05 PM
New Product SkyWing 39-in EPP Edge-540 feda 3D Foamies 120 Jan 22, 2014 06:01 PM
Discussion SkyWing 48-in Extra 300L Under Development feda 3D Foamies 229 Nov 04, 2012 01:55 AM
Sold 3DHS 48" Orange Edge 540 LPU in CT newheliguy81 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Aug 19, 2012 07:57 AM