RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Durafly Hyperbipe Mini Review
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:31 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,200 Posts
I just started building mine. I was putting the LG together, and started working on the second side. I couldn't get the nut to go on no matter how I tried to start it.

After some head scratching and a close inspection, it seems the axle was threaded with no pitch at all! It's got nice rings going around the shaft, but they're perpendicular to it! No wonder it wasn't working.

Um, just cut my loss here and go buy a replacement at the LHS? Is it worth dealing with skywing or bvrc to get a replacement?
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:40 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nac View Post
Personally I think wire gear would have been better than the carbon one, for these types of EPP planes.
It would be nice if there was a way of attaching a wire gear to the existing carbon mount. Any ideas?
No kidding! I have 30 flights on my Edge now, and have broken the gear bolts seven times. Once, I broke them when I hit a small bump while taxiing! I have to say though, that one of those times was also an impact that would have broken the CF gear if I'd used steel bolts.

I've smashed my old Skywing Yak's steel gear that many times much harder than that, and all it's ever needed is a gentle bend back by hand. I like the look of a CF gear as much as the next guy. What I can't understand though is bling for bling's sake. In my opinion, CF is a poor material choice for the landing gear struts on an aircraft of this type.

Keen to see if anyone has a sensible solution for retrofitting steel gear.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:44 AM
Kyalami, South Africa
Joined Jun 2006
1,509 Posts
Should be easy enough to cut a block of hard wood to fit the slot and dremel a slot in it for the MXS style wire gear....

Personally I think the CF gear add to the scale look...
kyalamikid is offline Find More Posts by kyalamikid
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:48 AM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
No kidding! I have 30 flights on my Edge now, and have broken the gear bolts seven times. Once, I broke them when I hit a small bump while taxiing! I have to say though, that one of those times was also an impact that would have broken the CF gear if I'd used steel bolts.

I've smashed my old Skywing Yak's steel gear that many times much harder than that, and all it's ever needed is a gentle bend back by hand. I like the look of a CF gear as much as the next guy. What I can't understand though is bling for bling's sake. In my opinion, CF is a poor material choice for the landing gear struts on an aircraft of this type.

I'm suggesting to Future Model, which is making a 48-in EPP scale SBach 342, to offer wire landing gear as an option. Ideally, the wire landing gear should work with the plane designed to use the carbon fiber landing gear. Future Model is experimenting with my idea. Hopefully, we'll see some workable solution soon.

I am starting to provide replacement parts for the Edge. For example, here's the carbon fiber landing gear link: http://www.bestvaluerc.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=372

For fuselage replacement, what you guys would like to see? With horizontal tail or without? Complete with the motor cage and the engine cowl? Should it include the landing gear and the wheel pants? Maybe a la carte is a better approach? What do you think?

Best regards,

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:13 AM
Kyalami, South Africa
Joined Jun 2006
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feda View Post
I'm suggesting to Future Model, which is making a 48-in EPP scale SBach 342, to offer wire landing gear as an option. Ideally, the wire landing gear should work with the plane designed to use the carbon fiber landing gear. Future Model is experimenting with my idea. Hopefully, we'll see some workable solution soon.

I am starting to provide replacement parts for the Edge. For example, here's the carbon fiber landing gear link: http://www.bestvaluerc.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=372

For fuselage replacement, what you guys would like to see? With horizontal tail or without? Complete with the motor cage and the engine cowl? Should it include the landing gear and the wheel pants? Maybe a la carte is a better approach? What do you think?

Best regards,

feda
Personally I think the full fuse, so fuse, motor mount and cowl. However both motor mount and cowl should be available at separate items too as well as full stab.
kyalamikid is offline Find More Posts by kyalamikid
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:43 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
That's great your doing spare parts Feda. I'm still waiting for mine but I wish you had the spare landing gear when I ordered mine. I'm toying with the idea of fitting out a set of floats for this puppy

I think you should just list all the parts separately. That way people can just order what they need and not end up paying for parts that are just going to sit on a shelf.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Last edited by Aviefly; Dec 18, 2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:48 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feda View Post
BTW this is the Future Model 48" EPP scale Sbach that feda is referring to.

Thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1788251

groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:54 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post

I don't mind the cf gear and I like the breakaway feature, but I think just a slightly larger size nylon bolt would be a good solution. I broke mine three times in ten flights the other day and they were all fairly gentle landings but in a rough soccer field. For now on this plane I'm going to add an extra piece of ply to the bottom of the lg plate and then add a third #10 nylon bolt in the middle of the other two and see how that works. This gear would work perfect if it was just a little bit stronger but not too strong. On my next plane I think I'll switch from the 6 mm over to two #10 nylon bolts before putting in the gg. I'll post my results. Otherwise I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS PLANE, IT HAS BECOME MY FAVORITE BECAUSE IT DOES EVERYTHING I WANT IT TO.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:22 AM
Custom Crasher
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
757 Posts
Well Feda, maybe each part should be a spare rather than trying to make up combos yourself.
If one needs just a motor box let that be all thats ordered
One could need a canopy and nothing else, let that be ordered
Some may need just one wing, let that be ordered
The only issue with spares is geting the right colors LOL
2 main wings
1 rudder
1 elevator
1 canopy
1 fuselage
1 motorbox
1cowl
1 landing gear
That comes to 9 parts but many colors, just sell them in red and black!!!

But loving this plane, I have flown nothing else LOL, even my Stryker is not flying since I got this.
But the sad news is until I get a new motor box my plane is down, had the landing gear break just above the axel and damaged my motor box, fixed the landing gear and the motor box. This week after about 4 batteries the landing gear snapped again but on a touch and go, not a landing, the broken leg dug in hard and finished my motor box, nothing else really happen to the plane at all, bent prop adapter and crushed motor box. I am working with Max for parts and really hope to have them soon

So me not really paying attention just went to your site and saw all the spares listed. Ordering what I need NOW.
Loving this!!!!!
lowkeylaidback is online now Find More Posts by lowkeylaidback
Last edited by lowkeylaidback; Dec 18, 2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:39 AM
KING of PING!
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2008
1,047 Posts
CURVED landing gear doesn't break just above axle....
JDMCARPETS is offline Find More Posts by JDMCARPETS
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:55 AM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
BTW this is the Future Model 48" EPP scale Sbach that feda is referring to.

Thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1788251

Oh my!
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:16 AM
Custom Crasher
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMCARPETS View Post
CURVED landing gear doesn't break just above axle....
Well that is where mine snapped, what do you think I made it up. The guys I was flying with that day were surprised too
Once, awhile back I posted on another thread that a dog ate my wing and got a like response.
Do you know how happy I was to see that it happened to someone else on this thread, not happy for his damage but that someone else had the same thing happen, things happen, stuff breaks, it may not break where you think it should break but it does.
Last edited by lowkeylaidback; Dec 18, 2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:48 AM
KING of PING!
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2008
1,047 Posts
You don't understand.Curved landing gear doesn't have the bend where yours snapped.That bend is the weak point.
JDMCARPETS is offline Find More Posts by JDMCARPETS
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:53 AM
Custom Crasher
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMCARPETS View Post
You don't understand.Curved landing gear doesn't have the bend where yours snapped.
No you don't understand, that is where the carbon fiber snapped I can't make it snap somewhere else now, that is where it broke clean off.