HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:15 AM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
637 Posts
If 3DHS can have Chinese factories to make their planes, so can Wattaplane. They cannot dictate where Wattaplane planes are sold.

I like that statement Feda.....that's been my contention from the beginning.

I know it's early and the plane isn't in production yet ( or maybe it's just started production), but are you planning to have replacement motor boxes, cowls, canopies, air frames available ?
I know the idea of this type of plane is to make it easily repairable, but you know us impatient Americans, we can't even wait for glue to dry
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:35 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
My full EPP planes tend to twist a bit even the really solid RC Factory planes aren't really precise as balsa planes although they can take amazing abuse. Balsa/monokote planes are very precise but can't take much abuse. What I found was these planes are about 1/2 the distance between balsa/monokote to full EPP. I have another famous manufacturers version of this style built up balsa ply and EPP skin. It takes more abuse than I thought it would plus it can be easily repaired with epoxy and UHU glue. (gear ripped out and took bulkhead and some of the epp skin with it. Repair was perfect and not seen from a couple feet away. I did think the same thing when I bought it.

"What good is EPP over balsa?", is what I thought.

I like to fly low and keep the adrenal gland working. Sometimes I go past my skill set. This EPP over balsa plane lets me have that kind of fun while holding onto VERY predictable flight. My balsa monokote planes stay at 1 mistake high while this thing can do tail touches. It is actually a heavy flying plane so wind isn't affecting it as much as my all EPP planes. Another plus.
I have all type of planes. I am fully aware of the benefit of profile EPPs (have 4 of them), and enjoy the hybrid construction one (3DHS Extra) that brings good balance between precision and durability. But this one looks like a mix of balsa (fuselage) and EPP (Wings and tail feathers). To my limited experience, I have not broken a wing or a tail feathers or even the rear 2/3 of the fuselage in my balsa planes but have rebuilt motor boxes and LG mounts way too many times than I can remember. On the other hand, I have many failures, flexing on foam wings, especially the blowback issues on the EPP control surfaces that need some extra braces, spars to get them right. So, I am very interested to see how this plane turns out. Hopefully the MFG will not advertised this plane as a "3D trainer". I see pilots need advance skills on both building and flying on this bird and hopefully no need for repairing. But, all 3D pilots or wannabe like challenges, aren't we?
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Last edited by Vince_TT; Sep 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:36 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcguy1958 View Post
i know it's early and the plane isn't in production yet ( or maybe it's just started production), but are you planning to have replacement motor boxes, cowls, canopies, air frames available ?
I know the idea of this type of plane is to make it easily repairable, but you know us impatient americans, we can't even wait for glue to dry
+1000!
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:17 PM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,287 Posts
If this is built anything like my 3DHS Extra then it has a simple EPS foam core wing wrapped with EPP and tail feathers that are EPP sandwiched over a Depron core.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:53 AM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
If this is built anything like my 3DHS Extra then it has a simple EPS foam core wing wrapped with EPP and tail feathers that are EPP sandwiched over a Depron core.
Yes, same construction for the wing and the tail because the tail has an airfoil now.

Here is the very first flying video of the plane. It's not very exciting, but good enough to show the potential of this plane. Very promising! Enjoy!

Wattaplane EPP Edge Prototype First Video (4 min 34 sec)

Regards,

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:41 AM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
512 Posts
thanks, Feda. finally you put SFGs on the plane. I agree that the plane look promising in the video, this full scale EPP is as floaty as any other foamie, it tracks well, very stable harrier (SFG helps). and rudder authority is good. look forward to more video.
VR Eyedoc is offline Find More Posts by VR Eyedoc
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:13 PM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
637 Posts
Anymore news or video ? Would really like to see it flown a little harder ( still trying hard to believe in just magnets holding the wings on )
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:41 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcguy1958 View Post
Anymore news or video ? Would really like to see it flown a little harder ( still trying hard to believe in just magnets holding the wings on )
Feda asked me to help flight test this kit. I received a kit in the Skywing colour scheme yesterday. Now I just need to find the time to build it. Tomorrow is looking like an excellent day for flying and Nac wants to try out the video on his new iPhone 5, so I won't be doing much building tomorrow.

In other news:

Last week I managed to break 3 tabs on a motor x-mount in my Skywing V2 MXS :O.
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:59 AM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
534 Posts
Groovejet, I read the skywing mxs thread and ordered one. I'm looking forward to your to experience with this new kit!
wayfaringdreamer is offline Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:21 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,886 Posts
wayfaringdreamer, I'm sure you'll love the MXS. It's hands-down my favourite plane .

Here's a progress photo showing my Edge with the control surfaces glued on. The control throws on this plane are insane .
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:42 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,918 Posts
Can't wait to see a vid, this thing looks really sweet. If it fly's as nice as it looks it's definitely going in my hangar.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:12 PM
Custom Crasher
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
757 Posts

napkin
lowkeylaidback is offline Find More Posts by lowkeylaidback
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:25 PM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
512 Posts
Another paint scheme released by Skywing, it's blue-black-white. looks so cool, doesn't it?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:28 PM
This is BAT country!
United States, MI, Ovid
Joined Nov 2003
618 Posts
Yes, that's tight!. I am a sucker cor the blue,black and white schemes.
Gonzo 1971 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo 1971
Last edited by Gonzo 1971; Sep 24, 2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:29 PM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
512 Posts
hardwares included in the kit