SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:50 PM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
709 Posts
Very cool. And here I thought I bought my last plane for a little while any way...guess it's lucky it's only in prototype now....other wise I'd be scrambling for funds to buy it
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:04 PM
No Boundaries
Australia, VIC, Forest Hill
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
Looks an exciting prospect!

Looks like under arm hand launches would be difficult though
Two Dogs Dave is offline Find More Posts by Two Dogs Dave
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:06 AM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelmaa View Post
Wonder how the nose is built? Molded epp? Fiberglass cowl with just a skin of epp? Wooden motobox? Looking forward to more details.
Hi Steve,

Here is a video that should address your questions:
Wattaplane Edge-540 EPP Engine Cowl (1 min 50 sec)

Regards,

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:22 AM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,219 Posts
Nice! Thanks for posting Feda.

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:05 AM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
709 Posts
this is going to be sold to US buyers thru wattaplane or best value isn't it ?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:22 AM
Where's my orange kool-aid?
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Can I get a prototype to try??? Pleeeeeeeaaassssseeee
xzuberance is offline Find More Posts by xzuberance
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:30 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,937 Posts
Thanks for posting the video, feda .
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:28 AM
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feda View Post
Hi Steve,

Here is a video that should address your questions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2po6XCatg4

Regards,

feda
Thanks Feda. Nice work.
stevelmaa is offline Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:50 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,214 Posts
Looks like a traditional balsa construction. So what is the benefit with EPP covering over film? Weight? Strength?

The tail feathers look like to be laminated foams, how about the main wing?, Foam core or balsa?

Thanks.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:07 PM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,490 Posts
3D something something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
Looks like a traditional balsa construction. So what is the benefit with EPP covering over film? Weight? Strength?

The tail feathers look like to be laminated foams, how about the main wing?, Foam core or balsa?

Thanks.
My full EPP planes tend to twist a bit even the really solid RC Factory planes aren't really precise as balsa planes although they can take amazing abuse. Balsa/monokote planes are very precise but can't take much abuse. What I found was these planes are about 1/2 the distance between balsa/monokote to full EPP. I have another famous manufacturers version of this style built up balsa ply and EPP skin. It takes more abuse than I thought it would plus it can be easily repaired with epoxy and UHU glue. (gear ripped out and took bulkhead and some of the epp skin with it. Repair was perfect and not seen from a couple feet away. I did think the same thing when I bought it.

"What good is EPP over balsa?", is what I thought.

I like to fly low and keep the adrenal gland working. Sometimes I go past my skill set. This EPP over balsa plane lets me have that kind of fun while holding onto VERY predictable flight. My balsa monokote planes stay at 1 mistake high while this thing can do tail touches. It is actually a heavy flying plane so wind isn't affecting it as much as my all EPP planes. Another plus.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:04 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,847 Posts
Grrrr... saving for another plane dont need more temptations...
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:45 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRCGuy1 View Post
Grrrr... saving for another plane dont need more temptations...
Yeah, tell me about it...

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:16 PM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
709 Posts
EDIT: I may have jumped the gun on my statement below, confused the original posted pics from feda ( Only Watt A Plane logos) with the pics posted on page 2, which are of Skywings color scheme from a Chinese website.
Still would like to know positively if it's available to the U.S. directly from Watt A Plane or Best Value.

Not sure U.S. buyers should get too excited yet...it does say Skywing on the wing.
3DHS has an exclusive deal with Skywing and up to this point in time, you can only buy the Skywing planes 3DHS is importing for sale in the U.S. . Hopefully, because it's a joint venture between Skywing and Wattaplane, U.S. buyers will be able to purchase it. I'm reserving my excitement until Feda clears that point up, remaining hopeful though as I really like the look of this plane to an extent. Unsure of the wing mounting(appears to only be magnets and guide pins), also unsure of the cowl attachment, seemed to disconnect very easily in the video. Still a very intriguing design and a different look.
Last edited by rcguy1958; Sep 10, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Apr 2009
14 Posts
night canopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
I like the plane, but hate the canopy. It needs to be all blue or black.
perfect for night flying just put a blue light in it or wht
Prodigious is offline Find More Posts by Prodigious
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:01 AM
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcguy1958 View Post
EDIT: I may have jumped the gun on my statement below, confused the original posted pics from feda ( Only Watt A Plane logos) with the pics posted on page 2, which are of Skywings color scheme from a Chinese website.
Still would like to know positively if it's available to the U.S. directly from Watt A Plane or Best Value.

Not sure U.S. buyers should get too excited yet...it does say Skywing on the wing.
3DHS has an exclusive deal with Skywing and up to this point in time, you can only buy the Skywing planes 3DHS is importing for sale in the U.S. . Hopefully, because it's a joint venture between Skywing and Wattaplane, U.S. buyers will be able to purchase it. I'm reserving my excitement until Feda clears that point up, remaining hopeful though as I really like the look of this plane to an extent. Unsure of the wing mounting(appears to only be magnets and guide pins), also unsure of the cowl attachment, seemed to disconnect very easily in the video. Still a very intriguing design and a different look.
If 3DHS can have Chinese factories to make their planes, so can Wattaplane. They cannot dictate where Wattaplane planes are sold.

The initial flying tests reveal no problem of using magnets to hold the wing halves in position.

The cowl is hooked onto the fuse and then locked into position by the insertion of the canopy.

I have another video to show you guys.
Wattaplane Edge-540 Motor Cage (1 min 5 sec)

Cheers,

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda