HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:07 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkeylaidback View Post
I ordered a few days ago (11/7) and I got an email thats says it shipped but no tracking number yet, I ordered some of the glue as well, 3M Scotch 6225n Glue, I'm gonna give this a try on something.
I ordered the black and red and will use a Sunnysky 2820 920kv power plant

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=188
This should be a good motor, I'm running a similar one with a lower KV on 4s in my EF 48" MXS and it's a nice motor with plenty of power and runs very smooth and quiet. This one should work good on 3s with either a 13x6.5 or 14x7.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:43 PM
United States, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2012
186 Posts
As others have mentioned the build quality is fantastic on this plane. The packing was great also. Everything was bagged and securely taped in the box even after the long trip from Hong Kong. I did not order or add the double boxing but that's how it arrived so I'm pleased with that.

On with the pictures and build. One thing I did notice and Feda mentioned it on the first page, the throws on the control surfaces are crazy huge!
All the comments are in the pictures.
docbrew is offline Find More Posts by docbrew
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Aug 2012
186 Posts
Uploading more images
Last edited by docbrew; Nov 11, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:56 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,914 Posts
I only managed a couple flights today, seems it was a day of technical problems. First i managed to snap off the lg plastic bolts. Luckily I had some extra wing bolts from another plane in my kit so I got them replaced. Then on the remainder of that pack somehow managed to strip an aileron servo, very weird since they are mg servo's. Luckily I landed no problem and called it quits. When I got home I moved the linkage's in one hole on the servo arms to relieve some of the pressure on them and hopefully prevent any further servo's from stripping. I moved the linkage's to the third hole from the end on the servo arms on the ailerons and rudder. I may dial back the aileron throws as well or move the linkage in another hole as time goes along.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:54 PM
No Boundaries
Australia, VIC, Forest Hill
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
Cool job docbrew, Ill use some of your reinforcing tips
Two Dogs Dave is offline Find More Posts by Two Dogs Dave
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:10 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Was a little sloppy on the sticks today and ended up doing some durability testing...aside from 2 flat tires, the landing gear holds up to sideways landings pretty well.

Ran out of tape at the end, but she made it.

Skywing EPP Edge 540 Durability Testing (4 min 27 sec)
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:28 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,026 Posts
So, where's a good place to get an X mount for a Scorpion motor?

Sub
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:21 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
So, where's a good place to get an X mount for a Scorpion motor?

Sub
http://arkrc.com.au/products/SCCross...oss-Mount.html
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:14 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
Thanks GJ.

On doing a little more research, I think either of these will work as well and should be stronger than the stamped original. They both have 25mm PCD:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/High-Qual...item2321c8d806

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tor_Mount.html
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:55 AM
Jet's are cool!
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Nov 2011
352 Posts
docbrew

As others have mentioned the build quality is fantastic on this plane. The packing was great also. Everything was bagged and securely taped in the box even after the long trip from Hong Kong. I did not order or add the double boxing but that's how it arrived so I'm pleased with that.

On with the pictures and build. One thing I did notice and Feda mentioned it on the first page, the throws on the control surfaces are crazy huge!
All the comments are in the pictures. Thanks for all the pictures, cant wait to get mine! I was wondering what kind of CA do you prefer. I like BSI but it is way to fumey. I just got some Parfix and its good no fumes, but the kicker eats eps foam like nobodys business. It doesnt bother epp at all. Just wondering.
UNABLE2SURF is online now Find More Posts by UNABLE2SURF
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Aug 2012
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNABLE2SURF View Post
Thanks for all the pictures, cant wait to get mine! I was wondering what kind of CA do you prefer. I like BSI but it is way to fumey. I just got some Parfix and its good no fumes, but the kicker eats eps foam like nobodys business. It doesnt bother epp at all. Just wondering.
My thin CA is by mercury and medium is great planes. I use great planes kicker for both and it hasn't harmed the foam at all.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:41 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Really enjoying this plane. One thing she's got over all the other flat-sided full fuse EPP planes - she tumbles a lot better. The winds were high and there was a lot of turbulence, so I flew with a little more energy today.

Skywing Edge 540T-Higher Energy Flying (5 min 36 sec)
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:30 AM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2008
723 Posts
Hi all, just wondering is it ok to use epoxy rather than CA to build this plane?

Kevin
kchen95 is online now Find More Posts by kchen95
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:14 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchen95 View Post
Hi all, just wondering is it ok to use epoxy rather than CA to build this plane?

Kevin
Epoxy is not a good glue choice for foam, and even less so for EPP. It's heavy, brittle, and the bond is superficial. I'd suggest keeping epoxy away from foam planes unless you're stuck on a tropical island with nothing else, in which case I envy you

In order of decreasing merit:

1) Flexible foam glues: Uhu Por, Welder, and that-Japanese-3M-Scotch-stuff-sold-by-BVRC
2) CA
3) PU (Gorilla glue and the like). Very good for some things, but not as a general purpose foam plane glue.
4) Nothing
5) Epoxy
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:37 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
I used epoxy on the control horns. It bonds to wood really well and allows me to build up a fillet up the sides of the plastic control horn to reduce side to side flex. Uhu por and CA on the rest of the plane.