3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,113 Posts
Nice going Nac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nac View Post
Well I just completed my maiden.

Wow what a nice plane, its very stable in harrier and knife edge is good. I got the CG almost perfect first go and only needed a little trim but didn't need any mixing.

As I expected, the first landing broke the nylon bolts holding the carbon landing gear but no damage to the fuse or carbon gear. So second flight I flew without the gear and just belly landed, no problems on the thick grass.

The SFG's with magnets performed very well, they stayed on during flight and only half popped off on landing with contact with the grass.
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skywing 38" Build Instructions
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:56 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbrew View Post
I've been looking at the Motrofly DM2820-950 for the motor.
I had to confirm it but yes, I had the 2820-750 in a 53" Sebart Sebach 30E on 4S with a 14x7 prop and it would burst out over 1000 watts before settling down to around 900 at full throttle. It was absolutely bonkers in that plane so I believe the 2820 series might be a bit much for this plane.

When the time comes to order one of these Edges for myself, I'm going to try the 2815-950 on 3S with a 13x6.5E prop. I think that may be the ideal Motrolfly for this Edge.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:55 AM
No Boundaries
Australia, VIC, Forest Hill
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
Just starting the build tonight. The tail wheel assembly looks fairly strong. Looks like the White spike threads onto the wire rod then gets pushed into the pre drilled hole in the bottom of the rudder.

Also there is not much hardware to deal with in this kit

Shouldn't take long to put this baby together!
Two Dogs Dave is offline Find More Posts by Two Dogs Dave
Last edited by Two Dogs Dave; Nov 04, 2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:10 AM
No Boundaries
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
Another build pic

As with the Skywing's, the stab goes in with a bead of scotch on the outside quite well

Nac gave me this tip saying that if you ever want to sell the plane you can remove the stab more easily to make the plane more compact for postage

Not that ill ever be selling this plane!
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:09 AM
I like the violent stuff!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,213 Posts
SD One I am running that Motrolfly and prop in another large foamie. Close to 500w. Going to Motrolfly on ALL my planes.
Wingin' Wayne is online now Find More Posts by Wingin' Wayne
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:37 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
All done with my build...all that's left is to maiden her.

My setup is:

Omega 130g motor
13x6.5 APC prop
Hobbywing 60A ESC with SBEC set to 6v
Hitec HS 65MGs all around, except for the elevator, where I used a Savox SH-0255MG servo
Gens Ace 3S 2200 60C batteries

AUW is 45.5 oz.

Overall, I really like the kit - very nicely done. The only worries I have are with the landing gear, both front and back. Hopefully the nylon wing nuts do their job and save the carbon fiber and gear box from a hard landing - didn't do anything to reinforce in that area other than a thin CA soaking. I'll see if the plastic tail wheel will hold up - I have an EF tail wheel assembly waiting if it breaks.

I put some additional carbon fiber tubes next to the ones provided at the canopy rail and motor box - my experience with the stock size square CF tubes is they tend to collapse with a big side load from a crash. I also went dual ball links as I usually do with my builds (Dubro 2-56/4-40 ball links: 4-40 rods and 2-56 balls). I also used some HK carbon fiber control arms I had laying around instead of the plastic ones.

Here are some pics.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Maiden later this afternoon? The field was crowded this morning ... blue sky and no wind.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:31 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,113 Posts
Very nice. Do you mind giving the link to the carbon fiber arms from HK? I do like the ball-links
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skywing 38" Build Instructions
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:36 PM
No Boundaries
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
Nice work Jboy!
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:41 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,006 Posts
I almost have mine finished, very easy fast build. I'm curious where everybody is mounting the esc. Under the motor box seems like a good spot but it doesn't look like it would get enough cooling air. Or just add some lite ply to the side of the motor box and put it there right in line with the cowl opening.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:04 PM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I almost have mine finished, very easy fast build. I'm curious where everybody is mounting the esc. Under the motor box seems like a good spot but it doesn't look like it would get enough cooling air. Or just add some lite ply to the side of the motor box and put it there right in line with the cowl opening.
I mounted mine under the battery tray.
You can afford to move things back with this plane as it has no problems with lipo position and obtaining CG.
nac is offline Find More Posts by nac
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:14 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,006 Posts
For now I'm trying to keep the weight forward if possible since I'm using a 25 gm servo for the elevator. I like a stronger servo for the elevator, on my MXS the elevator servo stripped so I went to an HS85mg and am doing the same on my Edge except it's a different servo but about the same weight. I always try to keep the final batt position as close to the cg as possible and move other stuff around to get there.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:59 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptime4downtime View Post
Very nice. Do you mind giving the link to the carbon fiber arms from HK? I do like the ball-links
Sure, here it is:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2pcs_bag_.html

They're back ordered, though.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Got an up close and personal view of Jboy's plane. Very nice ...
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:01 PM
Custom Crasher
USA, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2010
769 Posts
Hope they restock soon
lowkeylaidback is offline Find More Posts by lowkeylaidback