Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:08 PM
United States, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2012
186 Posts
I've been looking at the Motrofly DM2820-950 for the motor.
docbrew is offline Find More Posts by docbrew
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:21 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,055 Posts
I had my very first mg14 die the other day...totally only due to dropping the plane on the rudder. I have had 16 of these servos running for around a year.. They have taken a lot of abuse. Still working! I'm amazed actually
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Multiplex Stuntmaster Maiden
Old Nov 02, 2012, 06:31 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Dogs Dave View Post
Hk 939's are quite good for the price. A friend has been thrashing around his 48 inch slick running these Servos for quite some time now with good results.
I prefer the ds929mg's for the higher speed, but lower torque.
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:09 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,055 Posts
Those look good. Is that what you are talking about: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16342

If so, I'm tempted, but just ordered some more MG14's. However, i would like to go digital evantually. These look a little lighter? Perhaps they are not the same ones?

Actually looks like these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._0_09sec_.html

Any comments appreciated, as I'm changing my servos for these perhaps
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by uptime4downtime; Nov 02, 2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:30 PM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptime4downtime View Post
Those look good. Is that what you are talking about: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16342

If so, I'm tempted, but just ordered some more MG14's. However, i would like to go digital evantually. These look a little lighter? Perhaps they are not the same ones?

Actually looks like these: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._0_09sec_.html

Any comments appreciated, as I'm changing my servos for these perhaps

I am a very happy user of Corona 939 and 939HV, very strong and percise, you will not find better servos for this price.939 is prefered over 929 becuase I believe for airplane 3D, torque is more important than speed.
VR Eyedoc is offline Find More Posts by VR Eyedoc
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:33 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,055 Posts
order placed - i;ll try em out in the Edge.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:34 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,055 Posts
How exactly does one use an HV servo.... excuse my ignorance.... a low-volt analog guy I'm afraid!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:40 PM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
511 Posts
which one did you order?
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:49 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,055 Posts
I actually held off, as there is quite a selection... one of the 939 has poor reviews (but so did the Mg14 and they have been brilliant!) - so I'm just looking at them all... what did u go with? Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:04 PM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Well I just completed my maiden.

Wow what a nice plane, its very stable in harrier and knife edge is good. I got the CG almost perfect first go and only needed a little trim but didn't need any mixing.

As I expected, the first landing broke the nylon bolts holding the carbon landing gear but no damage to the fuse or carbon gear. So second flight I flew without the gear and just belly landed, no problems on the thick grass.

The SFG's with magnets performed very well, they stayed on during flight and only half popped off on landing with contact with the grass.
nac is online now Find More Posts by nac
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:05 PM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
511 Posts
939 and 939HV
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:40 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nac View Post

Wow what a nice plane, its very stable in harrier and knife edge is good. I got the CG almost perfect first go and only needed a little trim but didn't need any mixing.

As I expected, the first landing broke the nylon bolts holding the carbon landing gear but no damage to the fuse or carbon gear. So second flight I flew without the gear and just belly landed, no problems on the thick grass.

The SFG's with magnets performed very well, they stayed on during flight and only half popped off on landing with contact with the grass.
I have a thought on the magnets for the sfg's. What if you glued a peg made from a skewer into the little wood part of the sfg so it would enter the wing through the little wooden block, and then coupled this with a couple of magnets. The pegs would provide resistance to shear forces and the magnet would provide resistance to a pulling force. Easy to remove by pulling out but wouldn't get knocked loose by simple contact with grass etc. I might give this a try, I'll post results. I did get started on my build tonight, hopefully I'll finish it this weekend. I'm fired up to finish it and fly it, but based on the abuse I heaped on my MXS I'm making some extra reinforcements using a couple of tongue depressors and a few bamboo skewers and good old gorilla glue. Unfortunately I have to work tomorrow so I don't know if I'll get to work on it too much.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:51 PM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nac View Post

I think that's exactly the purpose of using nylon bolts, let them break on hard landing, save the LG and fuse.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 08:59 PM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Yep I'm happy for the nylon bolts to break, although if I end up using too many I might try magnets or Velcro.
nac is online now Find More Posts by nac
Last edited by nac; Nov 02, 2012 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Add a pic
Old Nov 02, 2012, 09:07 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,885 Posts
I like the nylon bolts, I use them on my balsa's and it really minimizes damage in a crash or hard landing other than a nose in. If these aren't strong enough I might just replace these with a no. 10 nylon bolt since they are a little bigger and might be a little stronger without being too strong. On my 60" planes I use two 1/4" nylon bolts, and on my 70" I use three 1/4" nylon bolts and they work great.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy