HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:51 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Eyedoc View Post
Groovejet, do us a favor please, put pants and spinner on you airplanes.
Pants would last 6 minutes (i.e. 1 landing) at some of the places that nac and I fly. When the grass is so tall that the wheels disappear within it, pants are not an option .

The spinner would have a 15mm gap on the front of my Scorpion motor and the spinner is 22g of dead weight that I don't want on the nose of my plane. I'd rather add some weight doing some mods to strengthen the airframe, and I have done just that on both of my Edges.

BTW when Vimeo resets my HD upload quota tomorrow, I will upload another Edge video from a couple of weeks ago that shows flight #3 of my red Edge. This video shows what an awesome knife edge spinning beast this Edge is .
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:40 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,859 Posts
Here's a video of flight #3 from a couple of weeks ago. Thanks to nac for doing an excellent job of keeping the plane in the frame, especially since he was using my new Sony RX100 camera for the first time when he recorded this footage.

Skywing 48" Edge EPP - Flight #3 of This Awesome Plane :) (2 min 34 sec)

BTW here's a photo of the Skywing red and blue schemes together . I've gotta say; I've never seen a foam plane that looks as good as this Edge. It's a real stunner .
Last edited by groovejet; Oct 27, 2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:59 AM
Deutschland, BY, Augsburg
Joined Nov 2010
121 Posts
Groovejet like ur Flytstyle, wanna fly the blue one next Year its a awesome Flyer
Schrottflyer is offline Find More Posts by Schrottflyer
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:59 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,500 Posts
Received mine today, now to get busy building. From the video, it looks pretty straight forward. Much lighter plane than I thought it would be for 48". Now I understand why it flies so well with a 3S battery.
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:10 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,859 Posts
Looks like mine will be delivered on Monday, provided the storm doesn't prevent that.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:09 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag View Post
Received mine today, now to get busy building. From the video, it looks pretty straight forward. Much lighter plane than I thought it would be for 48". Now I understand why it flies so well with a 3S battery.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Looks like mine will be delivered on Monday, provided the storm doesn't prevent that.
Fingers crossed for a large parcel delivery on Monday.

Build 'em fast, guys; you're gonna love this plane .
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined May 2012
193 Posts
So I spent some time on the MXS site and I solved my dilemma like groove sugested: I'm getting both!

Here the HW I intend to use on them:

Edge 540:
Omega 130g
TGY K-Force 40A ESC
Turnigy 2216MG servos
3s 2200 mAh Gens ace / Glacier (have them)
APC 13x6.5E / 14 x 7

MXS:
Hengli 3542-850 motor from BVRC or Leopard LC3542-6T KV 920
TGY 45A AE ESC
HXT MG-14 servos / Turnigy 2216MG (elev.)
3s 2200 mAh
APC 13x6.5E / 14 x 7

I don't know yet about the motor for the MXS.

What do you think about the Leopard LC3542-6T KV 920 that I can get locally?
(Site in german, sorry)
http://www.hebu-shop.ch/product_info...-620-Watt.html

It seams to be the same as this one:

FSD 3542-06 KV920
http://www.sdshobby.net/fsd-354206-k...l#.UIxnSWf4eJt

Does anybody know that motor?

BTW, how does the hengli compare to the 1000KV motor included in the MXS kit? I did use thatone in the past but would like a little more power / efficiancy.

Thanks for any recomondations!
SnapRoller is offline Find More Posts by SnapRoller
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:13 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
Fingers crossed for a large parcel delivery on Monday.

Build 'em fast, guys; you're gonna love this plane .
Oh yeah, I'm fired up. I am an Edge guy bigtime, they just tend to be my style of plane. Hopefully I can get to work and it gets delivered weather permitting, then if I'm stuck at home for the hurricane I'll have something to do and if the weather is good later this week get a chance to fly it.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:06 PM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
Hey guys, just general 3D setup question, not actually specific to this plane.
I have a problem with a few of my 3D planes, when flying upright,level, no control input at about 1/2 throttle, if I increase throttle my plane wants to gain altitude fairly quickly. Is this a C.G. issue?...a thrust line issue?....or a combination of both ?
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

My elevator trim is neutral, ailerons centered correctly, not acting as flaps, wings and tail feathers level with the thrust line ( in other words built correctly )
rcguy1958 is online now Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:10 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,047 Posts
Hi rcguy

I collected all the stuff I found useful on trimming, CG, thrust angles etc, and put it here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1554653

Hope that helps.
Basically, your planes may be tail heavy - try moving the battery/rx etc forward.
1. Slightly nose heavy cg will stay level while upright and slightly descend inverted.
2. A neutral plane will stay level both upright and inverted.
3. A Tail heavy plane may remain level upright and climb when inverted. It could also just climb, stall and repeat this cycle.

Hope this helps.
Regards - Rick
uptime4downtime is online now Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by uptime4downtime; Oct 28, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:20 PM
United States, PA, Carbondale
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
how do i buy this plane....it look to awesome
cperri is offline Find More Posts by cperri
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:56 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcguy1958 View Post
Hey guys, just general 3D setup question, not actually specific to this plane.
I have a problem with a few of my 3D planes, when flying upright,level, no control input at about 1/2 throttle, if I increase throttle my plane wants to gain altitude fairly quickly. Is this a C.G. issue?...a thrust line issue?....or a combination of both ?
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

My elevator trim is neutral, ailerons centered correctly, not acting as flaps, wings and tail feathers level with the thrust line ( in other words built correctly )
To test the thrust angle you just trim for level flight then when flying wot let off the throttle, if the plane climbs you have too much down thrust, if the plane drops you have too much up thrust. The same for side thrust.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:03 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,047 Posts
Yes, that's correct. I've ammended my thrust comment: this might help too

THRUST ANGLE TEST

From straight and level flight at 50-75% throttle, abruptly cut throttle. If the plane immediately pitches nose up, decrease down thrust. If the plane immediately pitches nose down, increase down thrust. After your down thrust is established, from full throttle level flight, pull into a vertical up line. If the plane yaws to the left, add right thrust. If the plane yaws to the right, reduce right thrust.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Multiplex Stuntmaster Maiden
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:08 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptime4downtime View Post
Yes, that's correct. I've ammended my thrust comment: this might help too

THRUST ANGLE TEST

From straight and level flight at 50-75% throttle, abruptly cut throttle. If the plane immediately pitches nose up, decrease down thrust. If the plane immediately pitches nose down, increase down thrust. After your down thrust is established, from full throttle level flight, pull into a vertical up line. If the plane yaws to the left, add right thrust. If the plane yaws to the right, reduce right thrust.
Yes, a much more thorough explanation.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:16 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,047 Posts
Actually, yours was fine, but I'll add this, and then bookmark it myself as I keep forgetting :-))
FROM STICKBEATZ:

CG
I would check your CG first. Get your CG set perfectly before adjusting thrust angle. Trim your plane for straight and level flight at 50-75% throttle, then roll the plane inverted. The plane should dive towards the ground slowly with neutral sticks. If the plane dives sharply, it's too nose heavy. If the plane stays level or climbs, it's too tail heavy. Adjust as needed and then re-trim the plane for straight and level and try again until the CG is perfect.

THRUST ANGLE TEST
Then move on to thrust angle. From straight and level flight at 50-75% throttle, abruptly cut throttle. If the plane immediately pitches nose up, decrease down thrust. If the plane immediately pitches nose down, increase down thrust. After your down thrust is established, from full throttle level flight, pull into a vertical up line. If the plane yaws to the left, add right thrust. If the plane yaws to the right, reduce right thrust.

AILERON DIFFERENTIAL TEST
After your thrust angle and CG are established, test for aileron differential. Fly directly away from you at 50-75% throttle and roll several times in either direction. If the plane maintains its heading, your differential is good. If it yaws in the direction of the roll, reduce the amount of down throw in your ailerons. If it yaws opposite the direction of the roll, increase the amount of down throw.

If you go through all of that and get everything set up properly, you should end up with a really nice flying model that tracks well at all speeds and attitudes.

It usually helps to have somebody with you to take notes and help you determine what exactly your plane is doing while you perform these tests.

Here's a trim cheat sheet.

http://www.scootworks.com/rdrc/trim.html
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Multiplex Stuntmaster Maiden