HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:12 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,798 Posts
Same builder, same gear, same pilot.

Skywing MXS V2
Skywing 48" MXS V2 - This Plane Rocks! (1 min 42 sec)

Skywing/Wattaplane scale Edge
Skywing 48" Edge EPP - Balsa-like Flight Feel in a Foamy Skin (3 min 53 sec)
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:57 PM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
603 Posts
To me they look equally impressive....nice flying Groove
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined May 2012
193 Posts
Nice flying in both groove!
And, is the Edge your new favorite? Or do you prefere the MXS? How do they compare in feel? Does it only seem in the video or is the Edge even more stable post stall? It also seems to bee a lot snappier and track better and faster. What about KE stability? Is there a lot less hold do to the rounded fuse? And is there any mixing required whith neutral / very slightly noseheavy CG?

Would be great for a lot of us if you (ore anyone) could answer these questions I guess.
SnapRoller is offline Find More Posts by SnapRoller
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:28 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
2,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapRoller View Post
I supose it is thisone?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18163

Or the 800 KV version?

Please tell us how it performs, as I am thinking between thisone, the Hengli Brushless Outrunner Motor W3542-850 from bestvalue rc and a omega 130 g for my next MXS (or Edge-540, depending on opinions here....)

The Hengli by the way looks like a rebranded Omega 130g for me?
Re that SK3 - funny, I just remaidened my MXS with that motor. It is 140G, and very quiet. I posted a brief comment on the MXS thread. No problem with vertical, but it put my CG off a bit, as my 2200 wants to sit right against the carbon wingspar. Can't speak for this plane tho. It is a nice clean motor I have to say. I miss the noise to be honest!!!
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learning Turnarounds
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:05 AM
Joined May 2012
193 Posts
That's why I asked you
Thanks for the answer!

So I guess I'll go whith the Hengli (or Omega ?)
SnapRoller is offline Find More Posts by SnapRoller
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:35 AM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
2,999 Posts
Haha. sorry, senior moment there.. .yes, that's the one. got it now! If I get this plane, I will probably go with the AX motor with an upgraded X mount, and bolt on with hex bolts. I would consider both those other motors for a little more money.

With the SK3, there is only 10 grams in it, so I'm not sure. It is good value, but I'm about as rearward as I want to go. I may add some weight to the tail, not sure. Without the battery right back, I find it difficult to snap into a hover for example. It is a sweet running motor tho, but you can't hear it doing a flat spin at all! The AX motor sounded mean when throttled up and under pressure... however, it sucked juice on my system anyway. I've yet to measure the draw on the SK3. It looks quality.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:49 AM
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
well get another one!
good
dragon_wing is offline Find More Posts by dragon_wing
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:08 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,500 Posts
My blue and black one has been sitting in NY for (3) days. It takes about (2) hrs to drive from NY to my house, what in the world are they waiting for? I'm starting to think that the USPS isn't much better than any other postal service. Oh well, I guess if it arrives on Fri or Sat I may have enough time to put it together and get it up and flying before the weekend is over.
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:33 PM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
603 Posts
I live in NY, I've noticed it depends on the P.O.....if it goes thru Albany it can take forever....if it goes thru Newburgh....usually in and out.....if it's down in the city....who knows, that's hit or miss......just my experience
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:43 PM
United States, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2012
186 Posts
I ordered mine on Sunday and haven't received a shipping notice yet. I guess it has only been 4 days though.
docbrew is offline Find More Posts by docbrew
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:53 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,767 Posts
Mine has cleared customs in LA so should be here about midweek next week. Should be able to fly the following weekend weather permitting. All the gear is waiting.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:14 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,641 Posts
Fear not friends, for a review shall be forthcoming at Ezonemag.com!

I just got my review sample yesterday and now that I have it, I can order up the onboard gear. It looks absolutely beautiful. It's painted in the blue and black maple leaf color scheme and the workmanship looks fantastic.
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:43 AM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcguy1958 View Post
To me they look equally impressive....nice flying Groove
Thanks, rcguy1958. It seems like you completely understood the purpose of my post with the 2 videos; to show that both planes are awesome, so I recommend that people just pick the one they like the look of and they'll love it . Actually, I recommend that people buy them both, since they're both such awesome planes .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapRoller View Post
Nice flying in both groove!
And, is the Edge your new favorite? Or do you prefere the MXS? How do they compare in feel? Does it only seem in the video or is the Edge even more stable post stall? It also seems to bee a lot snappier and track better and faster. What about KE stability? Is there a lot less hold do to the rounded fuse? And is there any mixing required whith neutral / very slightly noseheavy CG?

Would be great for a lot of us if you (ore anyone) could answer these questions I guess.
The Edge, MXS and the Winner's Model Extra 330LX SEPP are my top 3 planes and they each have their own personality, so I like to fly them all.
The MXS is the easiest plane for me to fly 3D with, especially in knife edge, but all 3 planes are very, very capable and really shine in various areas. The 2 planes with airfoiled tails seem to track a bit better. The Edge is the most aggressive, followed by the MXS and then the WM Extra.
I don't use mixing on my planes unless any small amounts of coupling get in the way of me fixing it on the sticks. I am not using mixing on any of my 3 top planes and I have no trouble knife edging thme all, but the Edge needs a little more care (probably due to the round fuselage). All 3 planes can be very stable in post-stall. I have good days and bad days when flying and we usually shoot video regardless of what type of day I am having. Having said that, the Edge seems to be the most stable in post-stall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DismayingObservation View Post
... the workmanship looks fantastic.
It sure is. Here's my second one, ready to maiden .
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Last edited by groovejet; Oct 26, 2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:49 AM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
2,999 Posts
Just a quick, kinda boring test flight of the Tunigy SK3 140g 1000kv with a 3000mah Nanotech. Testing a heavy setup on an MXS, but gives an idea of that motor
Skywing MXS on Turnigy SK3 140g (0 min 0 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:57 AM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
493 Posts
Groovejet, do us a favor please, put pants and spinner on you airplanes.
VR Eyedoc is online now Find More Posts by VR Eyedoc