HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:41 AM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Built and ready for maiden.

Here are a few pics of mine, all built and ready for maiden.

I did a little custom paint mods to distinguish mine from groovejet's. I also used magnets to hold the SFG's on.

The build was not too bad, the only real issue i have is with the way the cowl is attached. One of the clips broke and unfortunately there is no easy way to hold the cowl on once that happens.
I ended up using a little thick CA to attach the cowl to the fuse. If i have to remove it then i will have to break the join.
Long term i think this may be an issue as those clips are too small to glue back together and there is not much wood to be able to screw the cowl on. Actually I would have liked to see it attached with magnets like the wings.
nac is offline Find More Posts by nac
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:01 AM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
3,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nac View Post
Here are a few pics of mine, all built and ready for maiden.

I did a little custom paint mods to distinguish mine from groovejet's. I also used magnets to hold the SFG's on.

The build was not too bad, the only real issue i have is with the way the cowl is attached. One of the clips broke and unfortunately there is no easy way to hold the cowl on once that happens.
I ended up using a little thick CA to attach the cowl to the fuse. If i have to remove it then i will have to break the join.
Long term i think this may be an issue as those clips are too small to glue back together and there is not much wood to be able to screw the cowl on. Actually I would have liked to see it attached with magnets like the wings.
Looks great! Nice work.

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:07 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,958 Posts
Interesting idea for attaching the sfg's. Hope it works out, I'd like to do the same.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:19 AM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Interesting idea for attaching the sfg's. Hope it works out, I'd like to do the same.
I thought i would try it out, as i keep breaking them on the tall grass at our fields.
I'll report back on how they work.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:37 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,958 Posts
Quote:
I thought i would try it out, as i keep breaking them on the tall grass at our fields.
I'll report back on how they work.
Yeah, same here. The ones on my MXS are looking pretty raggy, as long as they stay on in flight but possibly pop off in bad situations I think it is a cool idea. I'd almost be tempted to try this on my 48" MXS and my 60" Edge, it would probably take a couple more magnets but I'm not so worried about them being damaged, I would just like them to be more convenient to R&R. I wonder if the magnetic type tape like they use on refrigerator magnets would be strong enough, probably not and too much weight. Neodymium magnets would do the job though.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:11 AM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
The magnets seem very strong, i don't think they will come off.
Hopefully i will get to test it out this weekend.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:12 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,958 Posts
Quote:
The magnets seem very strong, i don't think they will come off.
Hopefully i will get to test it out this weekend.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:19 AM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
ha. so i may spend most of my time searching for them out in the field
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:20 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,958 Posts
I hope not, maybe need to paint them bright orange just in case.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:39 AM
United States, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2012
186 Posts
Well I liked the blue on the best because of the black canopy. After seeing your pictures nac I like the red one. The canopy looks like a darker grey than the other pictures I've seen.
docbrew is offline Find More Posts by docbrew
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:49 AM
nac
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
954 Posts
I painted it
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:29 AM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,060 Posts
Just snagged one in blue / black. It's been since Feb 2011 that I bought my first (and only) Skywing model. It's given me incredible service since then, and has taught me way more about 3D flying than I learned with balsa planes in the many years previous. Can't wait for the next chapter to begin!

Come on EMS!!!
subsonic is online now Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined May 2012
193 Posts
Thats verry true for me as well, I love that it flys a lot more precise and peforms way better in high energy maneuvers than the Telinks, even though they don't survive every crash unharmed. I think they really close the gap between EPP and Balsa, so for me since some time it is not anymore simulator to Telink to balsa, but simulator to Telink to Skywing to balsa (Sabre X first, as it flys the most "EPP like"). This way is giving me the most confidence in trying new stuff down low and I finally spend more time flying then repairing planes .
Nice you're getting one, so you will be able to compare it to the MXS and answer the verry interresting question which one of the two performs better in which way...
SnapRoller is offline Find More Posts by SnapRoller
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:04 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,095 Posts
Agree. Telinks are absolute abuse machine.. low, slow, crash, repeat. You really don't want to be trying that with the Skywings etc, but as you say, still MUCH easier to repair than a full balsa IMHO. I repaired my skywing wing easily. As quick as a Telink wing. But the fuse is of course a little more prone. The energy moves are a thrill on these big models. Yes, I love the Telinks for really being able to mess up and survive, and the MXS for getting up high and doing energy stuff, and trying to avoid any impacts. So both are 'essential' hangar items!!! Taking out my MXS with a newly installed SK3 today
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phantom Vision+ tips
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:03 PM
Joined May 2012
193 Posts
I supose it is thisone?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18163

Or the 800 KV version?

Please tell us how it performs, as I am thinking between thisone, the Hengli Brushless Outrunner Motor W3542-850 from bestvalue rc and a omega 130 g for my next MXS (or Edge-540, depending on opinions here....)

The Hengli by the way looks like a rebranded Omega 130g for me?
SnapRoller is offline Find More Posts by SnapRoller