HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:24 PM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Eyedoc View Post
heard rumors about skywing 55in scale EPP, hehe, this is gonna be fun.
55 would be Nice
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:01 PM
United States, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2012
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD One. View Post
A hair dryer or time should get those dents out. I hang mine with a coat hanger cut in the middle and bent downward to hook around the carbon wing tube on each side of the plane.

I'd like to see what Doc's Motrolfly 2815 does. He's got a 13x6.5 on his and it was definitely not lacking for vertical power last weekend. I was thinking of putting the same motor on my Future Model 47" Sbach.
Well I borrowed SD One's watt meter at the field this morning.

Motrofly 2815-950
Hobby Wing Pentium 60a ESC
APC 14x7 prop
Nano tech 2200 45c-90c

I need to put the 13x6.5 back on and test with it also.
docbrew is offline Find More Posts by docbrew
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:02 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,045 Posts
That should work! Where do you guys source your motoflys?
uptime4downtime is online now Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Multiplex Stuntmaster Maiden
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:22 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,249 Posts
That's just some crazy power. I didn't expect that! I think I'll be sticking with the 13x6.5 on the Future Model Sbach.

Subsonic Planes. www.subsonicplanes.com

They cost a little more but they are awesome motors. The 2815-950 I ordered for the Sbach will be my... 7th? 8th? I cant keep track of them all but every one has been great and the service is the best in the business. My orders usually arrive in 2 days, he's always got parts, repairs are a 4 - 5 day round trip and a custom wind is just an email or phone call away.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Last edited by SD One.; Jan 20, 2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:24 PM
United States, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2012
186 Posts
http://www.subsonicplanes.com/

Ken is awesome. His customer service is just as good as Twisted Hobby.

Motrofly's are some of the highest quality motors I've seen.

Dang it you beat me to it.
docbrew is offline Find More Posts by docbrew
Last edited by docbrew; Jan 20, 2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: got beat
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:37 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,249 Posts
Lol! I can't help but brag on Ken's motors after watching Wamsy put them through maneuvers that would melt his Hackers into slag while his Motrolfly's come down cool as a cucumber. I'm so glad you didn't order that 2820 for your Edge. I had it in my 53" Sebart Sebach and I don't know how that motor box ever handled it. 1000+ watts on 4S with a 14x7 Xoar on a 53" 3D plane. Insane!

I'm anxious to see more of this 55". I know what motor I'm putting in mine.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:02 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,045 Posts
So 2815 looks like a pretty great match for these 48's
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:15 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,179 Posts
So the 1/4-20 lg mod worked great, mostly. First landing, I was shocked at how it held up perfectly. Second landing was rough, bolt heads broke off. No other damage, quick fix. Third landing good until I hit the divot... but it just loosened the bolts up a bit. Tightened them up and went back at it. 4th landing... Gear mount broke out, but very cleanly. It will be a simple fix. A little thicker ply in there will prevent that problem in the future.

The problem is that I don't know if the bolts are too strong or not. Seemed great until that last bit.

It was a good maiden. Forecasts were calling for 0-5mph. Turned out to be 7-20. At the place I was flying, they have a thin short paved strip. It's really like a carrier landing, and the surrounding fields are very rough. What made it even harder to land was the fact that below 6ft there was almost no wind at all. So you come in crawling with motor turning nowhere near stall, then you get below the wind and the thing just drops like a brick. Ugh. I wish I had my old field back.

Awesome plane though! It seems to like the battery pretty far back for good CG.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:18 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD One. View Post
That's just some crazy power. I didn't expect that! I think I'll be sticking with the 13x6.5 on the Future Model Sbach.

Subsonic Planes. www.subsonicplanes.com

They cost a little more but they are awesome motors. The 2815-950 I ordered for the Sbach will be my... 7th? 8th? I cant keep track of them all but every one has been great and the service is the best in the business. My orders usually arrive in 2 days, he's always got parts, repairs are a 4 - 5 day round trip and a custom wind is just an email or phone call away.
Looking on the web, it states up to 13" prop, but I'm guessing they are just being conservative. So you guys run this on 14" as well? Obviously by the test you do. Looks like they ship international - handy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:20 PM
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,249 Posts
I think I'm gonna stick with a 13x6.5 on mine. It will still pull a 48" plane around beautifully and will have a little less torque to fight when hovering. Funny, me and Wamsy were just talking about that very subject at the field earlier today. The 2815-950 is a great match for this plane. It weighs 123g and cranks out silly amounts of power but it does need some spacers to line up with the cowl.

I ordered my motor and ESC on Friday evening when I got home from work. I got a tracking number yesterday and my stuff was in Memphis this evening. If it travels the 2 hours to Nashville by morning, I could have it by lunchtime tomorrow. I paid 3 bucks for shipping. Simply awesome service from Subsonic.

I did put a couple of good flights on my Edge today. It was chilly and breezy out there so the batteries complained a bit but I now have a nice bit of shredded rudder tip to show off from a pretty decent tail drag down the runway.
Last edited by SD One.; Jan 20, 2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:46 PM
how'd I do that....oh
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined May 2011
2,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
55 would be Nice
Wll WM has a 55" Slick
chop stiX is offline Find More Posts by chop stiX
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:49 PM
No Boundaries
Australia, VIC, Forest Hill
Joined Aug 2010
1,968 Posts
Groove jet flys one of these. It absolutely hauls ass on 6s!
Two Dogs Dave is offline Find More Posts by Two Dogs Dave
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:31 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Dogs Dave View Post
Groove jet flys one of these. It absolutely hauls ass on 6s!
It does.I've seen some of the vids.
Oh on the topic of what glue to use,if scared of melting the foam with normal CA,just use foam safe.Then there's no worry of that
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:47 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chop stiX View Post
Wll WM has a 55" Slick
Unfortunately it's not a scale looking fuse. If it was I would be flying it right now. Not that I have anything against the flat fuse, I have the 48" MXS and love it. It's just that since they have come out with the scale Edge I have just fallen in love with it and would like a bigge version, although it doesn't have to be an Edge necessarily. I think an MXS would be sweet.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:01 AM
how'd I do that....oh
Joined May 2011
2,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Unfortunately it's not a scale looking fuse. If it was I would be flying it right now. Not that I have anything against the flat fuse, I have the 48" MXS and love it. It's just that since they have come out with the scale Edge I have just fallen in love with it and would like a bigge version, although it doesn't have to be an Edge necessarily. I think an MXS would be sweet.
I'm with you on that.
I absolutely fell inlove with this edge.
Want to order this weekend.just hope it wont get held up by the Chinese new year.
Just a quick q,Feda will probably know best,but if I clink on the edge and go to my cart,the default shipping comes to $56 Now I want to know,what shipping method it is,and how reliable is the tracking info?
going to order Turnigy G10 810 KV motor for it on a 14x6 JXF
The servo horn extensions that come with the kit I saw can be bought separate aswell.Are they any good and worth getting a few more to have extra for other planes?