HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:51 AM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
612 Posts
This was an accidental discovery. My own theory is that the prop wash points slightly away from the body of the copter. The cleaner the prop wash the smoother she flies.
Earl E Adobtr is offline Find More Posts by Earl E Adobtr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Current Folding Quad Project
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:50 AM
airplanes r made from aluminum
wilem's Avatar
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Adobtr View Post
Good frame weight. I may need to switch to alu for next H. If you can find a way to cant the arms up 3 degrees it will fly even better. I don't run with KK so not sure how that might affect programing tho.
I may try that on the next one. But i need to make a supply run
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:55 PM
Registered User
eyesonsky's Avatar
Switzerland
Joined Jul 2010
346 Posts
Happy to see all of these H-Quad

it is winter here... so I need a mini for indoor

160mm motor to motor / 240mm diagonal
67g pine wood frame

FC: openpilot CC3D and case fixed with double-sided tape and damped with Sorbothane piece.

Motors: Turnigy 2211 Brushless Indoor Motor 2300kv
Props: 5x3 GemFan
ESCs: Himodel 10A
LiPo: 3S or 2S 950 mAh
Receiver: Spektrum AR500

AUW: 270g





eyesonsky is offline Find More Posts by eyesonsky
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:00 AM
Registered User
eyesonsky's Avatar
Switzerland
Joined Jul 2010
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesonsky View Post

it is winter here... so I need a mini for indoor
Hehe it flies

For now I have 5x3 GemFan props, if I put some GWS 3 Blade 5x3 that will change how the flight?

Mini QuadH keychain FPV 1 (3 min 24 sec)
eyesonsky is offline Find More Posts by eyesonsky
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:39 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesonsky View Post
Hehe it flies

For now I have 5x3 GemFan props, if I put some GWS 3 Blade 5x3 that will change how the flight?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U71zm86K_IY
What's the flight time on that AUW?

3 blades should produce more lift, more turbulence, and may or may not be more efficient.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:55 PM
Quadtard
Breezemont's Avatar
United States, CO, Gilcrest
Joined Feb 2009
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
What's the flight time on that AUW?

3 blades should produce more lift, more turbulence, and may or may not be more efficient.
And more amp draw for the same diameter.
Breezemont is offline Find More Posts by Breezemont
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:52 PM
What goes up, must come down
crazy1pilot's Avatar
United States, MI, Midland
Joined Sep 2009
704 Posts
posted this in the other thread.

Working on a foldable H Quad some aluminium and a CD holder,, more to come this weekend.

Crazy1
crazy1pilot is offline Find More Posts by crazy1pilot
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:15 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesonsky View Post
Hehe it flies

For now I have 5x3 GemFan props, if I put some GWS 3 Blade 5x3 that will change how the flight?
I had to pull out a metric ruler to get an idea of how small that thing really is. Love the fence and slide shots. The swan didn't care and the dog, barely. Looks like mission accomplished. Great build.
Earl E Adobtr is offline Find More Posts by Earl E Adobtr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Current Folding Quad Project
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:46 PM
Registered User
eyesonsky's Avatar
Switzerland
Joined Jul 2010
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy1pilot View Post
posted this in the other thread.
Working on a foldable H Quad some aluminium and a CD holder,, more to come this weekend.
Crazy1
Nice one guy. Why you prefer aluminium than G10 or wood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
What's the flight time on that AUW?
3 blades should produce more lift, more turbulence, and may or may not be more efficient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Adobtr View Post
I had to pull out a metric ruler to get an idea of how small that thing really is. Love the fence and slide shots. The swan didn't care and the dog, barely. Looks like mission accomplished. Great build.
Flight time is about 10mn but I do only 5mn FPV for safety.

With this mini quad its fun to play with slide and other kindergartens.
Also wildlife and birds in particular are less afraid.
eyesonsky is offline Find More Posts by eyesonsky
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:43 PM
What goes up, must come down
crazy1pilot's Avatar
United States, MI, Midland
Joined Sep 2009
704 Posts
Update:

here are the latest pics of my H quad frame. now just waiting for electronics.

Crazy1
crazy1pilot is offline Find More Posts by crazy1pilot
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:25 PM
The simplest, the better!
pdemon's Avatar
Italy, Europe
Joined Apr 2002
1,056 Posts
Hi all
the v.2 version of the Fold-A-Copter is almost ready!
Here you can see the new center plates, lighter and slightly larger but still very compact: what you see tipps the scale at 184grams... not bad IMO
I'll keep you updated...
Cheers
Pierluigi
pdemon is offline Find More Posts by pdemon
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:29 PM
Registered User
United States, NY, New York
Joined Feb 2012
120 Posts
Hey eyeonsky what battery do you use for your fpv battery and what type would you reccomend.
NYbySky is offline Find More Posts by NYbySky
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:33 PM
Registered User
eyesonsky's Avatar
Switzerland
Joined Jul 2010
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYbySky View Post
Hey eyeonsky what battery do you use for your fpv battery and what type would you reccomend.
My setup work for about 10mn
Motors: Turnigy 2211 Brushless Indoor Motor 2300kv
Props: 5x3 GemFan
ESCs: Himodel 10A
LiPo: 3S or 2S 950 mAh
AUW: 270g
eyesonsky is offline Find More Posts by eyesonsky
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 12:26 AM
What goes up, must come down
crazy1pilot's Avatar
United States, MI, Midland
Joined Sep 2009
704 Posts
After completing my beautiful aluminum folding H quad, it did turn out to heavy :/ (pic one)
So I decided to make another one but out of carbon fiber rod that I had laying around (pic two)

The main objectives were to carry a GoPro and be able to run off of a 3s 5000 as I have four of them. The aluminum quad did get off of the ground but the frame had some torque issues and it look about 90% throttle to hover, not good. The new carbon fiber frame cut 1pound off of the design which is huge and now hovers at about 30-50% throttle, much better. The carbon frame does fold up I just don't have a pic of that yet.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, I'll try and get better ones soon

Crazy1
crazy1pilot is offline Find More Posts by crazy1pilot
Last edited by crazy1pilot; Feb 03, 2013 at 12:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:27 PM
Registered crasher
cyklopz's Avatar
Germany
Joined Mar 2012
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy1pilot View Post
After completing my beautiful aluminum folding H quad, it did turn out to heavy :/ (pic one)
So I decided to make another one but out of carbon fiber rod that I had laying around (pic two)

The main objectives were to carry a GoPro and be able to run off of a 3s 5000 as I have four of them. The aluminum quad did get off of the ground but the frame had some torque issues and it look about 90% throttle to hover, not good. The new carbon fiber frame cut 1pound off of the design which is huge and now hovers at about 30-50% throttle, much better. The carbon frame does fold up I just don't have a pic of that yet.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, I'll try and get better ones soon

Crazy1
Hi Crazy1,
why did you use tubular tubing instead of "the usual (10x10mm)" square carbon tubing - my guess is that they would be stiffer and just as light.
cyklopz is offline Find More Posts by cyklopz
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Steven Wang as our newest member of our GWS USA LLC. GWS4CEO GWS (Grand Wing Servo) 14 Jun 06, 2006 08:15 PM
E-Fli-owa check out our big event at our website! Goneflyin Electric Plane Talk 6 Sep 20, 2002 04:59 PM
E-Fli-owa check out our big event at our website! Goneflyin Parkflyers 1 Sep 19, 2002 08:42 AM