HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:13 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdemon View Post
It's a tank, not a quad!

Not sure that is the best way to mount the KK board....
Actually, the kk board mount works perfectly. It isolates the board from all the potential vibrations. Someone from one of the kk2 threads posted this concept.

Also, my friend had this setup on his tricopter and it works super well.

Try it.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:21 AM
Joined Sep 2011
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdemon View Post
Hi!
related to the H-quad concept, I developed a simple GoPro tilt only gimbal to be mounted in these copters... and good for any frame like Flamewheel and TBS, I suppose.
This second prototipe is still warm from the CNCing , is made from expanded PVC and is very easy to assemble only with cyano, that works extremely well with this material with a great welding effect.
Are these available to buy? Great looking simple gimbal.
init6 is offline Find More Posts by init6
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:25 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
Actually, the kk board mount works perfectly. It isolates the board from all the potential vibrations. Someone from one of the kk2 threads posted this concept.

Also, my friend had this setup on his tricopter and it works super well.

Try it.
I think the concern would be using metal rather than, say, hair bands. You wouldn't want a good jolt allowing contact with the metal springs.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:35 AM
Chasing dreams not d competion
uk
Joined Feb 2009
576 Posts
On rc helis the gyro must be mounted solidly to the frame with absolute minimal movement or else the gyro doesnt work as well as it should. Why dont multirotors have to follow the same rules especially as there are more sensors on the fc board?
I would have thought an fc on springs is the last thing you want. What stops a bounce or flick turning into an increasing resonance?
I would also expect in that sort of setup that the springs need to be pre tensioned and not clipped on at rest.

Theres a lot of weight in all that metal, is the box/channel going to have its sides cutout for weight saving?
BrownOut is offline Find More Posts by BrownOut
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:51 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
But the gyros are not the only thing on these boards. The accelerometers are very affected by vibrations. In theory the tiny amount of give should prove cleaner data to the FC

I do agree that the weight will be high, the electronics on the center plate will be safe. I could be wrong, but I expect that the added weight and coverage will help in low speed impacts, but will be a detriment in high speed incidents where the whole frame will be bent. There is also the issue of rf blocking, no matter how you orient your video Tx you will have reflections or signal blockage.

This is one reason I have moved to light and simple for the frame. It's easier to replace it when, not if, I crash.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:30 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
But the gyros are not the only thing on these boards. The accelerometers are very affected by vibrations. In theory the tiny amount of give should prove cleaner data to the FC

I do agree that the weight will be high, the electronics on the center plate will be safe. I could be wrong, but I expect that the added weight and coverage will help in low speed impacts, but will be a detriment in high speed incidents where the whole frame will be bent. There is also the issue of rf blocking, no matter how you orient your video Tx you will have reflections or signal blockage.

This is one reason I have moved to light and simple for the frame. It's easier to replace it when, not if, I crash.
Good point... I'll convey the tip to my friend.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:03 PM
Tulcea Romania
Joined Mar 2010
203 Posts
Fold h quad project

something I am working on - waterproof foldable quad with tilt roll Gopro gimbal.
danielpetrescu is offline Find More Posts by danielpetrescu
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpetrescu View Post
something I am working on - waterproof foldable quad with tilt roll Gopro gimbal.
Might not work out quite as clean IRL since you will have counter rotating props. Still, very cool!
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:14 PM
Switzerland
Joined Jul 2010
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpetrescu View Post
Nice one, some news about your build?
eyesonsky is offline Find More Posts by eyesonsky
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:56 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
612 Posts
Great thread. This is about 4 months of work. Here's uncut raw Hero3 footage. I've shown this on the main thread so sorry if this is deju vu but it seems to be a more appropriate place to park it.

I continue to refine this but it is close to where I want it.

GOPR0008 (0 min 0 sec)
Earl E Adobtr is offline Find More Posts by Earl E Adobtr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Current Folding Quad Project
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:02 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
The h config is great//lot of real estate.

wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:49 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
612 Posts
wilem, Nice alu build. What's the weight so far? Looks like it was ready to fly in that second shot. Punching holes in the body will give it slightly better wind handling and save a few grams in the process.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:40 PM
airplanes r made from aluminum
United States, SC, Darlington
Joined Jul 2009
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Adobtr View Post
wilem, Nice alu build. What's the weight so far? Looks like it was ready to fly in that second shot. Punching holes in the body will give it slightly better wind handling and save a few grams in the process.

thanks,
my scale only goes up to 1000g so ill have to find out later when i find my kitchen scale. i flew it today after (with a 3 s 5000) flashing the kk2 board with new firmware and i am impressed. I dont know if someone had messed with the settings but after the flash the self level works wonderfully. and i need to adjust the gain down some because it is pitching up in fast fwd flight. the left side (orange) is the front. the bare frame weighed about 330g
wilem is offline Find More Posts by wilem
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:45 AM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
612 Posts
Good frame weight. I may need to switch to alu for next H. If you can find a way to cant the arms up 3 degrees it will fly even better. I don't run with KK so not sure how that might affect programing tho.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:01 PM
Canada, ON, Merrickville-Wolford
Joined Jun 2012
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Adobtr View Post
Good frame weight. I may need to switch to alu for next H. If you can find a way to cant the arms up 3 degrees it will fly even better. I don't run with KK so not sure how that might affect programing tho.
Why do the canted arms work better? Just interested.

cheers,
Andrew
Banjo5 is offline Find More Posts by Banjo5