working on some
Captain3D is offline Find More Posts by Captain3D
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:15 AM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,318 Posts
Two days and two builds, this one holds more promise. Waiting for sunlight to see how it flies.
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:32 PM
------------------------
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Jan 2012
901 Posts
Lovely efficient design...that I will be stealing inspired by.

Are you just using a single bolt as 'blocking pin' once they are folded into place?

phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdemon View Post
Hi
Here is my H-quad, it is foldable for easy travelling
More info here: http://www.dronecam.net/frames.html#...e1347144962798
Edit:
Ah I see more here...
F-A-Q! (2 min 8 sec)

it is just a friction fold. Very very nice.
Last edited by Captain3D; Oct 10, 2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:49 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
901 Posts
I have been inspired. Going to try building this guy at the weekend...

FPV Quadcopter (0 min 15 sec)

Had a bit too much fun with the CG working it out. I fly with stereo GoPro Cameras and a stereo FPV cam in case you are wondering.

phil

Oh and the faint box you see is the size of Aircraft hand luggage. Got to fit in side that :-)
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:43 AM
The simplest, the better!
Italy, Europe
Joined Apr 2002
1,056 Posts
Hi!
I'm progressing in the project and this is the new update: the parts are now bolted, not glued, and this one is made of 1,5mm fiberglass board. It's now a little lighter and some other holes can also be added too.
The torsional strenght is preserved and it's easier to assemble
pdemon is offline Find More Posts by pdemon
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:31 AM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
901 Posts
Nice.

Yes I have learned today that it really needs a rigid box section to work well and I see that yours has that. I was trying to get away with less material but it flexes too much. I also have a problem with size because I am flying with two Gopros side by side for 3D so this makes the whole quad too big. I am going to have a rethink of the layout and have another go.

cheers...phil
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:45 AM
Italy, Europe
Joined Apr 2002
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain3D View Post
Nice.

Yes I have learned today that it really needs a rigid box section to work well and I see that yours has that. I was trying to get away with less material but it flexes too much. I also have a problem with size because I am flying with two Gopros side by side for 3D so this makes the whole quad too big. I am going to have a rethink of the layout and have another go.

cheers...phil
Yes, you're right: you need some kind of spars to get the torsional rigidity.
My first one had X spars glued between the plates and it worked very well.
The next version you see in my last post has two longitudinal spars bolted to the plates and it works too, easier for maintenance.... make your choice
pdemon is offline Find More Posts by pdemon
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:03 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,318 Posts
This is version 3 of my quad, second as a h quad. First was alu x, second was wood h, but it was not rigid or straight enough for my taste and broke an arm on its maiden flight. Want back to alu for the structural parts.

Aluminum c channel for the main arms, I think it's 5/8 by 1/2. This size is great since it hugs 1/2 square tube perfectly. Booms are 1/2 square aluminum and 1/2 wood square. The reason for wood was to keep the weight down since the aluminum was rigid enough and the wood was half the weight. Landing gear was pipe insulation, ended up threading the zip tie through the insulation because just going around made keep slipping out of place. Brain box is a LTO tape box, a little big, but it fits everything very well; opens on the left to allow for easy access, I may cut a hole by the buttons so I don't have to unstrap the battery to make changes to the KK board. Wired up the lights last night.

Motors are dt700, turnigy plush 18a esc, props 10x4.5, HK KK2, zippy flight max 4A 3s battery. Flight time is over 10 minutes.

Flight weight is between 1200 and 1300 grams, I would love to get it down but for now its good enough to get training in. I will probably order up some CF parts and slowly start rebuilding.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:28 PM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Jan 2011
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
This is version 3 of my quad, second as a h quad. First was alu x, second was wood h, but it was not rigid or straight enough for my taste and broke an arm on its maiden flight. Want back to alu for the structural parts.

Aluminum c channel for the main arms, I think it's 5/8 by 1/2. This size is great since it hugs 1/2 square tube perfectly. Booms are 1/2 square aluminum and 1/2 wood square. The reason for wood was to keep the weight down since the aluminum was rigid enough and the wood was half the weight. Landing gear was pipe insulation, ended up threading the zip tie through the insulation because just going around made keep slipping out of place. Brain box is a LTO tape box, a little big, but it fits everything very well; opens on the left to allow for easy access, I may cut a hole by the buttons so I don't have to unstrap the battery to make changes to the KK board. Wired up the lights last night.

Motors are dt700, turnigy plush 18a esc, props 10x4.5, HK KK2, zippy flight max 4A 3s battery. Flight time is over 10 minutes.

Flight weight is between 1200 and 1300 grams, I would love to get it down but for now its good enough to get training in. I will probably order up some CF parts and slowly start rebuilding.

Brontide,

Nice build. What are the dimensions?

thanks
FlyingRodent is offline Find More Posts by FlyingRodent
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:14 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingRodent View Post
Brontide,

Nice build. What are the dimensions?

thanks
The square formed by the frame is 15.5" on a side.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:52 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdemon View Post
Hi
Here is my H-quad, it is foldable for easy travelling
Well done!
I will use your idea. Thanks.
Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Mortimer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 5V Power Supply
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,318 Posts
Timed a flight last night start to low voltage alarm was 17 minutes and change although it was a small area and I set her down a few times to let cars pass. Probably set my remote time to an easy 13 minutes to have plenty of safety.

15.5" was a shrink on the flitetest 18" Hquad plans in order to save weight ( ~ 50 grams ).
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:31 AM
Italy, Europe
Joined Apr 2002
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
Well done!
I will use your idea. Thanks.
You're wellcome!
Please share when you' ready...