HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:52 AM
United States, MI, Wyandotte
Joined Jun 2011
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTwilight View Post
According to the post, my "Little Butch" will be waiting for me when I get home from work!

I've been comtemplating getting this bird as well. Looks like I have more time to mull it over if they are out of stock...
DejaD is offline Find More Posts by DejaD
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:24 AM
Cobra Driver
Roxboro, NC
Joined Dec 2005
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaD View Post
I've been comtemplating getting this bird as well. Looks like I have more time to mull it over if they are out of stock...
Yeah, It sure didn't take them long to sell out!
RedTwilight is offline Find More Posts by RedTwilight
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:15 PM
Slipping the surly bonds...
Elizabethton, TN
Joined Jan 2003
192 Posts
Mine arrived yesterday from the USA warehouse and I put it together last night. Wow! What a looker Lil Butch is! Lot of things make this one a real winner: great, easy to haul to field size, uses common 2200 batteries, fantastic paint job and scale details, struts fit perfect without forcing anything. All things considered, great product Durafly. However, there were a few gigs.

Both the rudder and the elevator servos were dead on arrival. No movement whatsoever. Replaced them with HXT 900's which fit right in and fortunatly I was able to use the same servo arms, so I did not need to reinstall the quick connectors. Second miss was the length of the screws that hold down the leading edge of the wing. Too short. Replaced them with some I had that were about 2mm longer and those caught and held. The back ones were fine, just the front ones that were too short. And finally, the screw to hold the tailwheel in place would not thread in all the way. Worked it as hard as I could before installing the verticle fin, but still no joy. Ended up having to remove the collar and hold it with a pliers and then I was able to get the screw to work in far enough to hold the tailwheel. But in doing all of this, I sort of loosened up the plastic housing for the collar. It's no good if the collar isn't held down in place. If it pops up and out of its housing, the tailwheel will be free castering. So I put a wheel collar at the bottom of the tailwheel wire, just before it bends back toward the tire and that will keep it from popping upwards as the tailwheel hits the ground.

These little quality flaws are fairly minor if you are like me and have extra servos, screws, wheel collars, etc. laying around. But it would be fairly frustrating if this was your second or third ARF and you did not have any spare parts for repairs/mods. Little worried about the aileron servos going bad if they are the same as the ele and rudder, but fingers crossed, not going to replace them as they were working fine.

Looking forward to flying Butch.
summitbill is offline Find More Posts by summitbill
Last edited by summitbill; Jan 25, 2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: typos
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:25 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,493 Posts
Scott has to do something about the servos showing up Dead on Arrival. I have owned three Durafly planes and all of them had servo issues straight out of the box with the elevator or rudder. This is a pattern that can't be ignored. Replace all Durafly elevator or rudder servos immediately. Interestingly none of my Durafly aileron servos have given me problems. It has to do with linkages or some QC issue at the factory.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:38 PM
Slipping the surly bonds...
Elizabethton, TN
Joined Jan 2003
192 Posts
Agree 100%, "...bitchen". If you're ordering this plane, order a couple of HXT 900 9 gram servos and just replace the rudder and elevator servos right away. Would hate for the elevator to fail in flight. When I opened the box and looked inside the fuse, the servo arms for rudder and elevator were forced forward as far as possible, sort of like someone pushed them too far that way. I was not able to work them back to center. They were just frozen in place. Only one would make any electronic noise. The other was totally silent. Ironically, the picture on the front of these cheap servos has a waste basket with a circle and line throught it. Sorry, Durafly and Hobbyking, I ignored the picture and pitched them in the trash.
summitbill is offline Find More Posts by summitbill
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:45 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by summitbill View Post
Ironically, the picture on the front of these cheap servos has a waste basket with a circle and line throught it. Sorry, Durafly and Hobbyking, I ignored the picture and pitched them in the trash.
That's funny. LOL My problem is I keep throwing the junk servos in a drawer instead of the trash thinking I can salvage something off them. I need to pay more attention to the directions and pitch them.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:01 AM
Cobra Driver
Roxboro, NC
Joined Dec 2005
266 Posts
I maidened my "LB" yesterday in calm, cool, and sunny weather. As suggested in this thread I went ahead and programmed 40% aileron / rudder mix. Place it on the runway, eased into the throttle, and once up to flying speed gave a gentle pull back on the elevator and "Lil Butch" was airborne! Gained some altitude to get it all trimmed out. To my surprise; no trim was needed at all! It flew straight and level hands off! At full throttle it moves at a decent click! I slowed it back down to half to 3/4 throttle and began doing a few Cuban Eights, Immelmans, Split S, Rolls, and Loops. It performed all these no problem at all! This is a great flying plane and such a joy and fun to fly!

So far all my servos work just fine; but I will keep an eye on them. The only problems I did have (as mentioned by someone earlier) where the front wing screws are a tad on the short side. Also the screw retaining the tail wheel would not screw all the way in enough to tightly clamp the tail wheel wire.

Except for those few little annoyances; this is a quick assembling and great flying plane!
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:47 PM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Nov 2012
24 Posts
Curious question? Are longer wing screws available at a local hardware store, or are these some very fine odd threads on these? Hoping the LB arrives soon from HK..
Oboingo1 is offline Find More Posts by Oboingo1
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:43 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
951 Posts
There are four screws for the wing, and two are just a tad longer than the other two. Make sure you check the lengths before putting them in. I had to squeeze mine in a little, but they eventually caught the threads and tightened down. Just go slow if using this method.

it's a pretty fine thread. I'd say a local hobby shop would have something probably, not too sure about a hardware store.
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:58 PM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Nov 2012
24 Posts
Thanks for the help JForbes..
Oboingo1 is offline Find More Posts by Oboingo1
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:14 PM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
951 Posts
I didn't really think that was much help, but you are welcome. lol... Best of luck on the build!
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:22 PM
Cobra Driver
Roxboro, NC
Joined Dec 2005
266 Posts
Oboingo1 - The screws that came with mine were self tapping. So the hardware store might have something as long as it isn't too large. I would say no larger than an 1/8" or maybe 3mm.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:24 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2012
34 Posts
Maidened my Monocoupe this morning. Beautiful day for a first flight, no wind etc.
Had a few issues getting it off the ground. It wanted to turn left. A LOT. Finally got it dumbed down to an arc and it was up.
First impressions were great. One click of trim and all was good.
I was using a 2200 nanotech sitting vertical instead of slanting forward into the nose.
COG was spot on. Couldn't have been better. Awesome glide slope, great landing approaches, no stall tendencies with the wings level.
Cruised around a bit, pulled a couple of rolls which were quite neat and effortless.
I LOVE this plane.
The only thing I don't love, is how it drops it's tail in while banked, and that I can't get it to track straight for takeoff.

First issue is takeoff. I thought it was probably the tail wheel being slightly off.
After correcting and even over correcting the tail wheel to try to solve this issue, I have come to the conclusion that I am missing something.
This is after all, my first plane with landing gear.

Second issue, tail drag. I am wondering what you guys mean when you say mixed rudder to aileron?
Do you mean mixed so rudder activates with aileron input? That seems like it would make sense but I was concerned it would be a problem as the airspeed was increased.
I mostly fly aile/ele as I'm on mode 2.
Mode 1 seemed so alien to me when i started flying 6 mnths ago, but I am beginning to see the benefits.

I digress. First few flights and landings were amazing and I quickly fell in love.
Until I was lazily banking around and the tail just slid sideways in slowmo.
It wallowed, I powered on, it began to climb then rolled over and introduced itself to the bowles club next to my local field.
Pilot error for certain but it was all a bit sudden and not particularly fun.
Broken wing support spar, chunk torn out of one wing, tip bent on the other, popped a wheel off and that's all.
It will be an almost unnoticeable repair, but. It still sucks that I sucked.

Any help with the rudder aileron stuff would be very appreciated?

Cheers, Kane.
Res7 is offline Find More Posts by Res7
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:45 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Res7 View Post

The only thing I don't love, is how it drops it's tail in while banked, and that I can't get it to track straight for takeoff.

First issue is takeoff. I thought it was probably the tail wheel being slightly off.
After correcting and even over correcting the tail wheel to try to solve this issue, I have come to the conclusion that I am missing something.
This is after all, my first plane with landing gear.

Second issue, tail drag. I am wondering what you guys mean when you say mixed rudder to aileron?
Do you mean mixed so rudder activates with aileron input? That seems like it would make sense but I was concerned it would be a problem as the airspeed was increased.
I mostly fly aile/ele as I'm on mode 2.
Mode 1 seemed so alien to me when i started flying 6 mnths ago, but I am beginning to see the benefits.

I digress. First few flights and landings were amazing and I quickly fell in love.
Until I was lazily banking around and the tail just slid sideways in slowmo.
It wallowed, I powered on, it began to climb then rolled over and introduced itself to the bowles club next to my local field.
Pilot error for certain but it was all a bit sudden and not particularly fun.
Broken wing support spar, chunk torn out of one wing, tip bent on the other, popped a wheel off and that's all.
It will be an almost unnoticeable repair, but. It still sucks that I sucked.

Any help with the rudder aileron stuff would be very appreciated?

Cheers, Kane.
You need to mix or train your thumbs to put some rudder into every turn. If you use the radio start with 40%. I usually stop at 50%. Also, the tail swing is something very normal and you will have to learn to overcome this with training yourself to input right rudder with careful application of up elevator to keep the tail wheel planted initially and then gradually letting off. It will in time become reflexive.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:23 PM
Cobra Driver
Roxboro, NC
Joined Dec 2005
266 Posts
Res7 - With this plane being a tail dragger you will need to use the rudder to keep it tracking straight down the runway. Usually tail draggers will pull towards the left. So you will need to correct that using right rudder.

Also due to the design of the plane coordinated turns (using rudder in conjunction to the ailerons) are required to keep the tail from "sliding" in turns. You can achieve this in two ways. Either input rudder control simultaneously with the ailerons manually or program your radio (if applicable) to automatically mix in rudder when the ailerons are used.

Just as with everything else; practice is the best thing. Good luck!