HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2003, 10:23 PM
Scratch fly,Scratch crash
Roswell, N.M.
Joined Nov 2003
384 Posts
Question
Hot Glue? Tape?

OK. I'm an electric rookie. I'm crossing over from glo. Our traditional construction methods call for CA and epoxy. I am reading and hearing alot about hot glue and tape!??? Does hot glue really hold up to G force? Crashes? Repair? Hot glue is as heavy as epoxy, isn't it?? I can see how hot glue would be somewhat flexible. And tape? I'm so used to using actual hinges. Am having a problem adhering them to the EPS and EPP though! Is this why you use tape?? Comments please!?
scratchbildr is offline Find More Posts by scratchbildr
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2003, 10:28 PM
nw ohio
Joined Jan 2002
491 Posts
tape on most planes is not hold hold it together as much as to strengthen it. as well as give color. im not sure what types of planes you're talking about. we have foam safe ca that is used alot that is lightweight.
easy2fly is offline Find More Posts by easy2fly
Old Nov 25, 2003, 10:31 PM
Scratch fly,Scratch crash
Roswell, N.M.
Joined Nov 2003
384 Posts
Some planes I see have tape on alerons, rudder, elevator. Used as a hinge? Mostly FFF planes. A few EPS too.
scratchbildr is offline Find More Posts by scratchbildr
Old Nov 25, 2003, 11:12 PM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined May 2002
2,609 Posts
Hello,

Welcome to the FOAMIES group. I'll try to help a bit.

As for sticking anything to EPP or EPS you will need to first spray or brush on some "stick-um". Typically folks use 3M 77 spray adhesive - my choice as well.

HOWEVER before you apply ANY adhesive on EPS foam do a test on some scrape or may end up MELTING your wing!

3M changes the formula and now instead of ether for the "carrier" they use acetone. Acetone will MELT EPS if you are not careful. (EPP is fine!) You can use the 3M just spray from a distance so the acetone evaporates off before contacting the foam. There are many threads on this - do a search.

After you have sprayed the surface the tape will now stick. I
always do a full wrap around the leading and trailing edges with strapping tape, then any other tape will stick nicely, including colored tape or low temp covering films.

TAPES I USE:
Strapping tape - 1/2" 3/4" and 2"

Heavy duty Sprapping tape - has fibers BOTH directions. I use this on the LE and TE for superior strength. Since it only comes 2" wide I cut it in 1" strips.

Hocky tape: I use this for hinges
Hinge tape: also used for hinges

Colored packing tape: Used to cover the plane - will heat shrink if care is used.

GLUES:

I have not tried hot glue much on foamies but I do like polyeurethane glue (gorilla glue or Pro Bond). With a little water misting from a spray bottle this glue will foam and expand to fill gaps.

5 minute epoxy: If I use epoxy on a foamie I try to use 5 min when I can. It stays more plyable than slow or finish cure - hate to sand it though...

3M adhesive - see above. Yes this is an un-used can of the OLD stuff. I horded 3 cans when I heard about the mixture change....

Hope this helps! Check my site for lots of foamie building tips:

http://www.foaminfusion.com
CactusJackSlade is offline Find More Posts by CactusJackSlade
Last edited by CactusJackSlade; Nov 25, 2003 at 11:15 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 03:38 AM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined May 2002
2,609 Posts
Cool packing tape

Here is some very cool packing tape. It is REAL HEAVY DUTY!

It not only has the length-wise threads but it has them cross ways as well.

I use this on the leading edges of all my foamies now... and sometimes on the trailing edge too.
CactusJackSlade is offline Find More Posts by CactusJackSlade
Old Nov 26, 2003, 08:20 AM
Austria [Europe, no Kangaroos ;-) ]
Joined Jan 2003
170 Posts
I do not use Hot Glue for my Depron planes any more - my A-10 fell apart and the Wing of my OV-10 is like a slowfly-prop after I had the planes in my car for a few days this summer.

Now I use Polyurethane Glue, great stuff.

Erich
Erich Preitler is offline Find More Posts by Erich Preitler
Old Nov 26, 2003, 10:29 AM
Trapped in California
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2003
1,857 Posts
My 2 cents....

I like your site, CactusJackSlade!

I use to assemble EPS foam planes with epoxy because I didn't know what else was available (and didn't like aliphatic resin). Now I use hot glue and have been using it ever since with no failures at all. I use strapping tape as wing spars, and packing tape for all hinges and some reinforcement. I have also fully taped planes with clear packing tape and spraypainted them. I use spray adhesive for the tape spars but not for anything else. Again no failures.

http://www.qnet.com/~skif/rcmain.html
foamflyer is offline Find More Posts by foamflyer