HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:12 PM
Guernsey, St Peter Port
Joined Sep 2012
6 Posts
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

Hi.
Just received my board and connected it to my mac via USB. Using the MultiWii GUI I can (usually) connect and see the board running with it's default quad+ setup.
Unfortunately I'm not so successful when trying to upload my MW sketch. The board's LEDs flash and it resets but Arduino (v1.0.1) returns the error "avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout". I have Arduino Mega 2560 or Mega ADK selected under Tools>Board and serial port seems correct. I keep googling for answers but find none that help. Can anyone please shed some light on my issue?

Many thanks
Ben
This Is Mud is offline Find More Posts by This Is Mud
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:02 PM
Iran, Tehran, Tehran
Joined May 2011
17 Posts
Hi

I tried several times but I cant install this products driver on my laptop. I have win7 - 64
What should I do ?
Ehssan is offline Find More Posts by Ehssan
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:20 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Sep 2006
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Mud View Post
Hi.
Just received my board and connected it to my mac via USB. Using the MultiWii GUI I can (usually) connect and see the board running with it's default quad+ setup.
Unfortunately I'm not so successful when trying to upload my MW sketch. The board's LEDs flash and it resets but Arduino (v1.0.1) returns the error "avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout". I have Arduino Mega 2560 or Mega ADK selected under Tools>Board and serial port seems correct. I keep googling for answers but find none that help. Can anyone please shed some light on my issue?

Many thanks
Ben
Can you attach a zip of the sketch you are using, or at least the config file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ehssan View Post
I tried several times but I cant install this products driver on my laptop. I have win7 - 64
Are you using these drivers: http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/P...CPDrivers.aspx .

They are working for me under Win7 - 64.
LegendLength is offline Find More Posts by LegendLength
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:33 AM
Guernsey, St Peter Port
Joined Sep 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendLength View Post
Can you attach a zip of the sketch you are using, or at least the config file.
Hi LL.

Thanks for taking a look. Attached config.h but I've just attempted to upload a simple blink sketch with same error.

Cheers

Ben
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:28 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Sep 2006
138 Posts
Quote:
Attached config.h but I've just attempted to upload a simple blink sketch with same error.
I compared it to my own config.h which works (although my board is the slightly different witespy board). It all seems ok except at line 633:

Code:
    //#define NMEA
    //#define UBLOX

//#define INIT_MTK_GPS        // initialize MTK GPS for using selected speed, 5Hz update rate and GGA & RMC sentence
If you haven't tried it already you should uncomment the nmea and init_mtk options:

Code:
    #define NMEA
    //#define UBLOX

#define INIT_MTK_GPS        // initialize MTK GPS for using selected speed, 5Hz update rate and GGA & RMC sentence
Also try the pre-release version if you haven't already because they fixed some GPS issues: http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/do...0.zip&can=2&q=
LegendLength is offline Find More Posts by LegendLength
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:25 AM
Iran, Tehran, Tehran
Joined May 2011
17 Posts
Quote:

Are you using these drivers: http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/P...CPDrivers.aspx .

They are working for me under Win7 - 64.
Thanks. its working now.
I am rookie on MultiWii controller and I need help during setup.

TNX
Ehssan is offline Find More Posts by Ehssan
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:26 PM
Tualatin, OR
Joined Oct 2009
273 Posts
Anyone else have trouble getting MultiWiiWinGui 2.1 to connect? I have no trouble getting MultiWiiConf 2.1 to connect and everything looks fine. The alternative MultiWiiWinGui program just seems to put my board into reset until I disconnect.

Just looking for ideas.

Gary
gjalbert is offline Find More Posts by gjalbert
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:38 AM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
[QUOTE=gjalbert;23496901]Anyone else have trouble getting MultiWiiWinGui 2.1 to connect? I have no trouble getting MultiWiiConf 2.1 to connect and everything looks fine. The alternative MultiWiiWinGui program just seems to put my board into reset until I disconnect.

Just looking for ideas.

Gary[/QUOTE

Something similar happens to me once in a while.
My procedure is to plug the USB cable into the Quad, wait at least 5 seconds and then launch WinGUI. Even that fails about 1 out of 20 times but usually all I have to do is start over, being sure to unplug the USB and restart WinGUI.

Edit: Also wait about 2 seconds after starting WinGUI before clicking "Connect". It can take a few seconds for the program to initialize.
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
Last edited by HiFlyer371; Dec 11, 2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Aug 2004
288 Posts
Been having a nice time with this board so far.....Im new to the quadcopters and have another question. I notice when I fly off the asphalt in the school parking lot it flies about the same every battery pack......But today while flying off the grass the first battery pack flew great ....I mean that was one nice flight but the second battery pack felt much different .....It wanted to drift back towards me and was not as stable.......Do I need to fly off flat level surface to keep flights consistent.
strong is offline Find More Posts by strong
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:24 PM
Bill
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Jul 2007
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strong View Post
Been having a nice time with this board so far.....Im new to the quadcopters and have another question. I notice when I fly off the asphalt in the school parking lot it flies about the same every battery pack......But today while flying off the grass the first battery pack flew great ....I mean that was one nice flight but the second battery pack felt much different .....It wanted to drift back towards me and was not as stable.......Do I need to fly off flat level surface to keep flights consistent.
Most likely it's because the electronics warm up and the calibrations change. Are the 2 batteries the same brand and size? A different weight battery will also affect performance. While in "ground effect" over uneven ground the Quad would want to slide downslope but the Accelerometers should compensate for that. In full scale helicopters ground effect is the distance up to 1 main rotor diameter above the ground. In a Quad you would use the maximum distance from blade tip to opposing blade tip. On my F450 Flame Wheel with 10" props that comes to 28 inches. Anything lower than that and the Accelerometers have to work harder to keep everything balanced.
HiFlyer371 is offline Find More Posts by HiFlyer371
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Aug 2004
288 Posts
Batteries are the same.........Think I will let everything cool for a while the next time out.....Just trying at this point to read and learn all I can about this controller....I know for the price it has it's limits but so far so good......Thanks for the reply.
strong is offline Find More Posts by strong
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Sep 2012
4 Posts
Smoked board

Hi guys
I waited for the new stock to arrive at HK, received the multiwii pro last week it took me a few hours and much head scratching to work out the driver for Windows 7, getting the thing connected and working out how to enable the GPS. It was all running ok on the bench, I decided i would add the bluetooth module i got from goodluckbuy, i could not get the data from the board to the bluetooth then into wingui. I read somewhere that it is not possible to have the bt and usb connected at the same time. As it takes power from the USB I looked out my Turnigy UBEC connected a 2 cell lipo to the UBEC i plugged it into the board on the receiver side. This is were it goes udders up, it all powered up ok the first time, i unplugged then plugged it back again, not sure if i put the plug in the wrong way, neg to signal but there was lots of smoke and the 5v regulator at the top of the board was burnt. I checked and plugged again, it powered up but the chip that smoked gets very hot and starts to smell bad. Luckily the chips are widely available on fleabay, some coming in the next few days, 2.20 for 5. I have an smd rework station so fingers crossed. Has anyone else had this problem is it just me being a Numpty
pendragon6667 is online now Find More Posts by pendragon6667
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:18 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined May 2012
241 Posts
Quote:
Hi.

Many thanks
Ben
Hey Ben,

I am new to using arduino, so hardly a helpful person, but was getting the same error last night trying to upload a sketch to an rctimer apm 2.5 board. I got the same error as you when trying to load from the mac, and a different error when trying to load from a windows VM. I got the windows virtual machine to work, eventually, by simply changing USB ports (and unplugging other USB peripherals. I am not enough of a geek to have any explanation for why this should work, and maybe it only worked on the VM and wouldnt have worked on the mac side, but its an easy enough thing to try.
achiii is offline Find More Posts by achiii
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:37 AM
Guernsey, St Peter Port
Joined Sep 2012
6 Posts
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout

Quote:
Also try the pre-release version if you haven't already because they fixed some GPS issues: http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/do...0.zip&can=2&q=
Thanks again Legend but I'm not having GPS issues. I'm not even able to upload the sketch at present. Tried other USB cables, about to try Win7 instead of Mac OS 10.8....
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:43 AM
Guernsey, St Peter Port
Joined Sep 2012
6 Posts
You're a bloody genius achiii!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achiii View Post
Hey Ben,

I am new to using arduino, so hardly a helpful person, but was getting the same error last night trying to upload a sketch to an rctimer apm 2.5 board. I got the same error as you when trying to load from the mac, and a different error when trying to load from a windows VM. I got the windows virtual machine to work, eventually, by simply changing USB ports (and unplugging other USB peripherals. I am not enough of a geek to have any explanation for why this should work, and maybe it only worked on the VM and wouldnt have worked on the mac side, but its an easy enough thing to try.

Achiii, I just pulled out my crappy USB wifi dongle I'm having to use as my Airport card has fried and the sketch uploaded first time! I wish I'd met you sooner! Thanks for the tip. I hope others find this out the easier way by looking at this thread. I've been reinstalling all sorts with no luck.

I owe you a beer! Somehow.