HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:32 PM
If you cant find it Build it!
NEAR ST. LOUIS ILL. SIDE
Joined Jan 2006
1,526 Posts
Alert
Franks mosquito boat hobbies

I heard today from a friend that Franks was going to close up shop, dont know how true this is, and Im not tring to cause any problems for anyone just alerting that if you have been wanting one of his kits better get one now!

Sorry to see this happen. Im afraid to say sooner than later it might turn out that we will all have to go scratch building from all the kit suppliers closeing down.
LONGBIKE is offline Find More Posts by LONGBIKE
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:38 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,197 Posts
:
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:12 AM
Cmdr. Reid 48th Fleet
SoCal
Joined Jul 2007
706 Posts
unfortunately it is true... i talked to him last week and he mentioned that there aren't as many people building now..... and the company that he gets his fittings from has slowly been discontinuing many of the parts
Reid is offline Find More Posts by Reid
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:48 AM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,174 Posts
Frank's MBH

I have known Frank for years, and we too, discussed the business, last week. The fact's stated above, are issues. But, I got the feeling an exact game plan, may still be somewhat undecided, at this time. I was hoping that anyone that he might have talked to, would wait until he made an official posting, before posting anything. Oh Well, CB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:10 AM
If you cant find it Build it!
NEAR ST. LOUIS ILL. SIDE
Joined Jan 2006
1,526 Posts
[ I was hoping that anyone that he might have talked to, would wait until he made an official posting, before posting anything. Oh Well, CB[/QUOTE]

Was'nt tring to step on any toes cap. just want anyone that may want a kit and could be putting it off for any reason like I do sometimes better jump on it and get one and maybe helping him out with his buisness.
LONGBIKE is offline Find More Posts by LONGBIKE
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:18 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,765 Posts
Sales haven't been very brisk throughout the hobby industry lately, and all of us have been feeling the pinch for the last few years.

Yes, I have also heard the rumor about Frank's, but I'm going to hold my breath until I hear the news directly frim him.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:06 PM
DO OR DO NOT--THERE IS NO TRY
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Mar 2006
159 Posts
It's True

I had an email from Frank yesterday in which he states he is closing down because he can't get reliable parts/etc from other suppliers. PLEASE SEE MY POST OF 9/7/12-- "1/20 pt 596 tale". It details my situation and how it reflects Frank's problem(s)

AZ CAPTAIN
azcaptain is offline Find More Posts by azcaptain
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:18 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,765 Posts
I don't know whether Frank's is going to make any announcement, one way or another.

If one is closing shop, why post anything? I would just roll up my banner, and disappear---.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:40 PM
Cmdr. Reid 48th Fleet
SoCal
Joined Jul 2007
706 Posts
I had the same feelings, but i wasn't sure what would be worse.... rumors or a something closer to the truth.
But either way, I understand where Longbike is coming from and I sure hope Capt CB is right in saying Frank's MBH might be sticking around still.
Reid is offline Find More Posts by Reid
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:54 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azcaptain View Post
I had an email from Frank yesterday in which he states he is closing down because he can't get reliable parts/etc from other suppliers. PLEASE SEE MY POST OF 9/7/12-- "1/20 pt 596 tale". It details my situation and how it reflects Frank's problem(s)

AZ CAPTAIN
Wonder if Frank shouldn't switch from white metal castings to cast plastics? I know an excellent supplier of low volume, small parts in the Great Pacific North West.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:54 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Joined Jun 2005
9,765 Posts
Reid, many of the other small operations are getting close to becoming just a memory, because the money simply isn't coming in like it used to.

If Frank has a high overhead to maintain, he may not have any other options but to close up shop.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:59 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan View Post
If Frank has a high overhead to maintain, he may not have any other option but to close up shop.
A potential plus for ma and pa operations- if it could be run out of a garage or shed in the backyard...

That, and I have always heard that in bad times, it pays to advertise more, not less. 'course that might just be urban legend started by an ad guy!

Hang in there.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:00 PM
DO OR DO NOT--THERE IS NO TRY
United States, AZ, Prescott Valley
Joined Mar 2006
159 Posts
plastic casings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
Wonder if Frank shouldn't switch from white metal castings to cast plastics? I know an excellent supplier of low volume, small parts in the Great Pacific North West.
Actually, Frank (I think) has been doing some plastic casting on his own. Some of the castings in the PT596 kit I purchased were made of some kind of plastic/resin--and were credible--not great-but credible, useable.
azcaptain is offline Find More Posts by azcaptain
Old Sep 07, 2012, 02:39 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,672 Posts
This would be sad news if true. frank is a great guy to deal with and has some great product. Buat as many of the manufactures know, business is tough, especially on the "garage" ones that do it as a side business. Less people wanting to build, fewer with skills being tought, and also less information on the subjects being tught reguarding the history of the product Franks is known for, and of course diposable $$. Hopefully there will be some good news saying this isn't true or if the goods will be sold to another party to keep this stuff available.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:47 PM
"Damn The Torpedoes...."
Mount Dora, FL.
Joined Oct 2007
512 Posts
Now that really stinks, I have enjoyed building his stuff over the years ! One more small business owner gone! It's true about about what is not being taught in schools these days, last night I saw my son's history book. Only a page and a half was about World War II, what a crime. Recently a good friend of mine(Jack Shuttleworth) passed away, he had been on both PT-170 and PT-328, he would have been really upset at what they teach in schools these days.
PT-333 is offline Find More Posts by PT-333
Last edited by PT-333; Sep 13, 2012 at 10:56 PM.