HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by mrmj2u, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:47 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Mar 2011
266 Posts
Done! Thanks again!
mrmj2u is offline Find More Posts by mrmj2u
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Sep 2010
484 Posts
Why have you grinded the motor mount? There is two sets of mounting hole on the scorpion motor with different spacing.
martin_ is offline Find More Posts by martin_
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Mar 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_ View Post
Why have you grinded the motor mount? There is two sets of mounting hole on the scorpion motor with different spacing.
Neither set of holes fit the motor mount. I definitely checked that before modifying the mount. I try to work smart with everything. Many have had to do this same mod on other motor mounts also.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,171 Posts
your flybarless gyro can only perform as good as your cyclic and tail servos will allow.

also, the flybarless head puts much more stress on the servos than a flybar setup. your servos aren't even metal gear, so want to encourage you to rethink that choice.

the futaba s3010 servo is really just for use in a .40 size sport airplane...in my opinion. even there it is a slow servo with poor centering capability.

also, since this isn't a nitro heli...you may want to research the use of the rubber grommets. i don't think that many people use them on electric helis.
TexasClouds is offline Find More Posts by TexasClouds
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Mar 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasClouds View Post
your flybarless gyro can only perform as good as your cyclic and tail servos will allow.

also, the flybarless head puts much more stress on the servos than a flybar setup. your servos aren't even metal gear, so want to encourage you to rethink that choice.

the futaba s3010 servo is really just for use in a .40 size sport airplane...in my opinion. even there it is a slow servo with poor centering capability.

also, since this isn't a nitro heli...you may want to research the use of the rubber grommets. i don't think that many people use them on electric helis.
I actually have already purchased a set of Align DS610 servos for the cyclic. The Futaba S3010s are for sale right now
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmj2u View Post
I actually have already purchased a set of Align DS610 servos for the cyclic. The Futaba S3010s are for sale right now
Good call man. The rest of your setup looks like it will be nice.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,171 Posts
Some more comments...if this was my build:

A)
The rudder servo tray looks like a weak design. It has no side gusset supports, right? HK put a similar rudder tray on a HK450 and people had them break. You might not have that problem...but a heli with no rudder control is bound to crash.

I'd get these parts:
ALIGN Main Frame Parts H55018 - TREX 550E $15
http://helidirect.com/align-main-fra...0e-p-20190.hdx

Or maybe the Metal Align tray:
ALIGN Metal Rudder Servo Mount H55023 - TREX 550E $15
http://helidirect.com/align-metal-ru...0e-p-20284.hdx

B) I would go ahead and buy an Align feathering shaft. You are looking at minimal cost, but this part is critical to holding your blades on.
Align Feathering Shaft H60006 - Trex 550E/ 600/600N $6.99
http://helidirect.com/align-featheri...00n-p-1543.hdx

C)
Buy a pack of ball links...if you find any in the HK kit that seem to fit loose...replace them now.
Align Ball Link H60071A - Trex 550E/500/600/600N $4.99
http://helidirect.com/align-ball-lin...0n-p-13238.hdx

These little parts kinda add up but consider the cost of you crashed...
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:45 PM
PRO BRO #157
Sterling hts, Michigan
Joined Jun 2003
2,084 Posts
Quote:
Some more comments...if this was my build:

A)
The rudder servo tray looks like a weak design. It has no side gusset supports, right? HK put a similar rudder tray on a HK450 and people had them break. You might not have that problem...but a heli with no rudder control is bound to crash.

I'd get these parts:
ALIGN Main Frame Parts H55018 - TREX 550E $15
http://helidirect.com/align-main-fra...0e-p-20190.hdx

Or maybe the Metal Align tray:
ALIGN Metal Rudder Servo Mount H55023 - TREX 550E $15
http://helidirect.com/align-metal-ru...0e-p-20284.hdx

B) I would go ahead and buy an Align feathering shaft. You are looking at minimal cost, but this part is critical to holding your blades on.
Align Feathering Shaft H60006 - Trex 550E/ 600/600N $6.99
http://helidirect.com/align-featheri...00n-p-1543.hdx

C)
Buy a pack of ball links...if you find any in the HK kit that seem to fit loose...replace them now.
Align Ball Link H60071A - Trex 550E/500/600/600N $4.99
http://helidirect.com/align-ball-lin...0n-p-13238.hdx

These little parts kinda add up but consider the cost of you crashed...
I have to agree. I didnt know the rudder mounts were breaking but all ways thought they look like it wouldnt work to well. I dont see an issue with the plastic either. Strong enough and probly lighter then alum.

The feathering shaft, well ....... pretty much every shaft on the bird would be replaced with align just for piece of mind if I did one of these. But I would defiantly give everything else on the bird a try, unless the part was flat out bad ofcourse. I converted my nitro over with hk 600 main frame and with well over 100 flights on it, the bearings still act like new and I have only oiled it twice. Once when new and again at 100. Even the ball ends are still slop free, some thing I cant say for align ball ends.

The bird is shaping up nicly. I am looking forward to flight vid.

Edit: Your motor mount looks like its going to fight you when you go to set the mesh. Maybe try this?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...x_550_600.html
daking is offline Find More Posts by daking
Last edited by daking; Sep 11, 2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Mar 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daking View Post
I have to agree. I didnt know the rudder mounts were breaking but all ways thought they look like it wouldnt work to well. I dont see an issue with the plastic either. Strong enough and probly lighter then alum.

The feathering shaft, well ....... pretty much every shaft on the bird would be replaced with align just for piece of mind if I did one of these. But I would defiantly give everything else on the bird a try, unless the part was flat out bad ofcourse. I converted my nitro over with hk 600 main frame and with well over 100 flights on it, the bearings still act like new and I have only oiled it twice. Once when new and again at 100. Even the ball ends are still slop free, some thing I cant say for align ball ends.

The bird is shaping up nicly. I am looking forward to flight vid.

Edit: Your motor mount looks like its going to fight you when you go to set the mesh. Maybe try this?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...x_550_600.html
I actually fixed the gear mesh last night. Had to grind it a bit more. All set now

Also just went to see the guys over at rc_rocks_us to pickup my DS610 servos. Also picked up a set of Align Feathering shafts. They are very nice people. I will definitely be giving them a lot more business since they are so close. No other hobby shops in my area that deal with Helicopters of this size.

Also forgot to mention that I purchased new link ends for the blade pitch adjustments. The stockers are notorious for cracking.

I'll look into the rudder servo mount.
Last edited by mrmj2u; Sep 11, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Mar 2011
266 Posts
A Bit More Progress

Today, I was able to pickup my new DS610 Cyclic Servos and a new feathering shaft. The subsequent install was a cinch.

Here are a few pictures of the new servos in the frame... They are a LOT faster than the others lol

The vendor included a set of aluminum servo arms. Wasn't that nice of them? Locktite on the ball links to ensure a proper level of security.

Next they were installed into the main frames

Next I connected all the swashplate arms to the servos (which I had previously sized to 50mm from ball center to ball center) and installed the anti-rotation bracket.

Above, there was talk about the rudder servo mount not being strong enough. Here are a couple of pictures of the servo mount.

I do see the lack of a gusset here, but the part is very thick and seems to be a lot stronger than the small pieces of plastic that hold many rudder servos on the tail boom. I will keep a very close eye on this part.

Next I installed the align feathering shaft into the head.

Thats all I was able to accomplish tonight since I am still waiting on parts to arrive.

Again, thanks for following this build with me, and all your suggestions and help. You all truly make this a great place to enjoy my hobby.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:18 AM
Sweden
Joined Jan 2010
567 Posts
Re: the motor mount, is it not possible to simply twist the motor, or does that pinge cables? This is what Ive done with my scorpion on my 450gt tt. That way, I can still adjust the gear mesh...
sandos is offline Find More Posts by sandos
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:44 AM
Joined Mar 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandos View Post
Re: the motor mount, is it not possible to simply twist the motor, or does that pinge cables? This is what Ive done with my scorpion on my 450gt tt. That way, I can still adjust the gear mesh...
I tried to twist the motor. No dice. I reworked the motor mount to allow proper gear mesh adjustment on Sunday.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:30 AM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,746 Posts
If you could please, be sure and keep track of money spent..in the end I would like to compare your hk550 to that of an align super combo.... great build thread
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:33 AM
Joined Feb 2010
2,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixx44 View Post
If you could please, be sure and keep track of money spent..in the end I would like to compare your hk550 to that of an align super combo.... great build thread
I think it would be very close in price; however, the beauty of the HK kit is that you can pick and choose each component to your liking.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Mar 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
I think it would be very close in price; however, the beauty of the HK kit is that you can pick and choose each component to your liking.
So far, I've spent about $900, but like TexasClouds mentioned, many of my components are different from Align's such as the Scorpion motor and the Castle ICE 100 ESC and even the Castle BEC Pro... Those three make the machine into a different animal compared to the super combo.

Then I also purchased the upgraded canopy and landing skids(F3C)... So this isn't really a fair comparison.