SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by bdelapen, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:18 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,606 Posts
New Product
DSM2 for Futaba with Micro Trainer Port

Hi All,

I will be offering up for sale a Spektrum Module for Futaba Micro Trainer Port conversion boards.

What exactly is that you may ask yourself? Well, in short it is a small circuit board that when combined with a Spektrum Radio Module and an Integrated Radio Case can be used to control any Spektrum DSM2 model using a Futaba radio. The connection is made through the trainer port so this works with any Futaba radio that has micro trainer port (the rectangular one), even those without a module bay.

First of all, props go to IVANC from whom I got the design of the circuit, you can check his blog post here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556607

Your next question probably is, why can't I just make one myself? Well, the short answer is yes, you can make one yourself. What I provide is the convenience of having a circuit that has been proven and allows you to put together the module without the need to do any soldering. All you need to do is some small modifications to the module and the case, plug it in and assemble the case, in about 20 minutes you have a fully working module with a minimum amount of effort.

So what does the process entail? Well, I'm glad you asked, in short here is a video showing what it takes to put it together:

Spektrum Module for Futaba Trainer Port. Fly UM, UMX and Blade BNF models (18 min 46 sec)

In the interest of total disclosure, I have currently only tested this module on the following radios (though I feel confident that it will work on any radio with a micro trainer port)
  • 8FG
  • 7C
  • 6EX

Some more details on what you will need to put it together:
You will need the actual DSM2 module found here...
You will need the integrated module case found here...
Thats it! Everything else you need you probably already have in your toolbox.

So how much will it set me back? Ah yeah, the quintessential question... Well in this case (and in all other cases for the foreseeable future), the plug-in board, shipped within the continental US, is available for $35.

Feel free to ask any questions or post any comments below, I will even entertain purchase inquiries, that is what this thread is for.

Regards,

- Birger
bdelapen is online now Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bdelapen; Feb 05, 2013 at 09:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:29 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
I need one of these for a t6j
touring1200r is offline Find More Posts by touring1200r
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:47 AM
Honolulu, HI
Joined Jun 2007
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring1200r View Post
I need one of these for a t6j
He does a very clean, factory looking Plug and Play version which I bought for my 8FGS which I am very pleased with!
bdp3822 is offline Find More Posts by bdp3822
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:21 PM
Honolulu, HI
Joined Jun 2007
175 Posts
A couple of adjustments....

Name: 20121017_093021.jpg
Views: 93
Size: 263.7 KB
Description: Name: 20121017_092939_1.jpg
Views: 89
Size: 101.2 KB
Description: Name: 20121017_093105.jpg
Views: 93
Size: 128.9 KB
Description: Name: 20121017_093113.jpg
Views: 89
Size: 122.2 KB
Description:

I only thought to take pics after the mod was done...sorry. What I did was cut the hole in the case deeper, almost twice the thickness of the wire from where the case connects. This allows a straighter shot from the cord exiting the case to the trainer plug. I also used hot melt glue to fill in the hole and to create even more cord relief. The white zip cord which Birger put on the trainer cord sits inside the case and provides a stopper so that the wires won't break off the solder points!

The last two pics show my "cure" for the "floppy" antenna. LOL! I just found one of my rubber grommets which happened to be the right size to slip over the top of the antenna. There is a small space between the inner and outer casing which I wedged the grommet into. Because there was extra grommet sticking out afterwards I simply snipped off about 2 or 3 mm. This worked out well since there is stopper wedge so the antenna cannot rotate 360 degrees and get all tangled. Instant DRAG when the antenna rotates now and I dare say..almost as good as the stock 8fgs antenna!

Thanks again Birger for a fabulous product!
bdp3822 is offline Find More Posts by bdp3822
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:59 PM
Joined Dec 2012
2 Posts
Adapter Board

Hi, I have Futaba Tx ordered 12/6/12 from tower hobbies, it has updated software in it already. If I order the adapter board & do this module mod will it work to my tx? Thanks

Rick
scrc511 is offline Find More Posts by scrc511
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrc511 View Post
Hi, I have Futaba Tx ordered 12/6/12 from tower hobbies, it has updated software in it already. If I order the adapter board & do this module mod will it work to my tx? Thanks

Rick
Hi Rick,

Yes, from your post in the main thread I believe that you ordered a Futaba 8FGH Super. This module will definitely work with this radio and you can bind to any Horizon Hobby BNF Heli, Airplane or Quad.

In my case, since I fly primarily Futaba, I only use the module with the Ultra Micro or Ultra Micro Extreme models that have the "brick" in them and can't use any other protocol beyond DSM2 and DSMX. I the larger models that use a separate receiver I will extract the Spektrum receiver (if I got the BNF version) and put in a Futaba receiver.

I personally don't fly Helis but I have used the module on the following ultra micro models: Mig-15, Spitfire, Corsair, GeeBee and T-28 but I do have several customers that have used the module with several different Blade BnF helis.

Regards,

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:25 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1 Posts
Futaba 8FG Super DSM2 Module

Hi,
I am interested to set up my 8FG SUPER so I can also fly those DSM2 Parkzone BNF planes. I am interested in your product. Can you make one for me? I really dont have the time & knowledge. What will be my final cost. I am in Bradenton FL.

Best Reguards,
Steve
gizzmo24 is offline Find More Posts by gizzmo24
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:16 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzmo24 View Post
Hi,
I am interested to set up my 8FG SUPER so I can also fly those DSM2 Parkzone BNF planes. I am interested in your product. Can you make one for me? I really dont have the time & knowledge. What will be my final cost. I am in Bradenton FL.

Best Reguards,
Steve
Hi Steve,

All the details can be found on this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1727230

Specifically posts #1 and #10. I offer two options which provide the same end product, one you source and assemble yourself, the other I source and assemble for you (at a small premium), both using my adapter board. You can find a link to the order page on post #1. If you have any questions please feel free to post here or contact me.

Regards,

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2013, 06:27 AM
Su-27's Rule!
Philippines, NCR, Pasig City
Joined Nov 2012
799 Posts
on ivanc's wiring diagram i see a resistor and a transistor (sorry if i got that wrong)
but numnutchris's diagram on a orangerx module you dont need a resistor or a transistor am i missing something here? thanks

numnutchris's diagram on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfdCuRmx0jc
Su-33 is online now Find More Posts by Su-33
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A cheap way to measure Kv
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:03 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by su33seaflanker View Post
on ivanc's wiring diagram i see a resistor and a transistor (sorry if i got that wrong)
but numnutchris's diagram on a orangerx module you dont need a resistor or a transistor am i missing something here? thanks

numnutchris's diagram on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfdCuRmx0jc
I honestly don't know. I took my existing board (with the transistor and resistor) and plugged it into the orange module and it worked just fine. I didn't do any investigation or anything. My thought process was that if the Orange module can plug in to the same module bay as the original Spektrum does then it needs the same conditioning circuit.

I'm getting close to putting one together and will hopefully post a vide in the next few days.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:58 PM
Su-27's Rule!
Philippines, NCR, Pasig City
Joined Nov 2012
799 Posts
Sorry forgot to add is it possible to connect a dm8 module using numnutchris's wiring diagram?
Su-33 is online now Find More Posts by Su-33
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A cheap way to measure Kv
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:02 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by su33seaflanker View Post
Sorry forgot to add is it possible to connect a dm8 module using numnutchris's wiring diagram?
I do not know. I have never tried it myself. Since I have a solution that works based on IVANC's design and post I have not felt any need to experiment.

If I were to guess I would say that no, it's not possible as if it were then why go through the effort of adding the additional components. But as stated above, this is just a guess, I have done no testing either way.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member