HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:37 AM
Hipster, apparently
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
2,855 Posts
Oh yeah . It's obvious once you said it. Silly me.
gizzo is offline Find More Posts by gizzo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:07 AM
Alphabets make great soup
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jul 2008
1,803 Posts
A vac formed clear canopy has crossed my mind. I reckon they look great when they are done right.

I started the canopy mould layup. 2x coats of resin+talc. Then pressed some light glass and flocks on while it was still sticky. I'll finish it later in the week.
Hamburglar is online now Find More Posts by Hamburglar
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:47 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,873 Posts
I'm interested to see what you do for the hatch. Are you going to glue a part from the mold into the main fuse mold to create the step?

The reason I ask is I need to deal with the hatch on the Typhoon pretty soon here. I normally make a mold of the area like you've done. Then I make a part from the mold and retrofit that to the plug. I really hate having to hack into the plug like that but haven't come up with a better way yet. Always looking to learn something new.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:12 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jul 2008
1,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeiron View Post
Are you going to glue a part from the mold into the main fuse mold to create the step?
Yeah that's the plan. I tried it last year with a nose cone and it worked a treat. The edges came out really clean.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:13 PM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,873 Posts
Looks nice. What did you use to bond it into the mold? Resin/Goop? My main concern with doing it that way is that the part could possibly stick and maybe pull it out of the mold. But maybe that is not as much of a problem as I think. The other thing is for a hatch like the Typhoon, where the fuse is fairly smooth on top, it might be a little tricky to locate the pieces in the two mold halves so that they line up perfectly in the finished fuse. But if I thought I could make it work, I might give it a try this time around. Like I said, I really don't like having to hack up the plug. Also, if anything ever happens to the hatch mold, I don't have the original plug to make a new one.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:26 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jul 2008
1,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeiron View Post
Looks nice. What did you use to bond it into the mold? Resin/Goop? My main concern with doing it that way is that the part could possibly stick and maybe pull it out of the mold. But maybe that is not as much of a problem as I think. The other thing is for a hatch like the Typhoon, where the fuse is fairly smooth on top, it might be a little tricky to locate the pieces in the two mold halves so that they line up perfectly in the finished fuse. But if I thought I could make it work, I might give it a try this time around. Like I said, I really don't like having to hack up the plug. Also, if anything ever happens to the hatch mold, I don't have the original plug to make a new one.
I stuck them on with thin double sided tape. Once PVA is applied, and dry, they are stuck down pretty good and don't move during the layup. But they do come out each time a part is pulled.

The plan is to lay up a canopy, trim it to the shape I want, then place it into the moulds and scribe round the edge of the part. In the canopy mould it will give me a trim line. And in the fuse mould it allows me to locate the inserts.

The nose nose was real easy as it was sort of self-locating, only fits itno the mould in one spot. But that other recess on top of the fuse (for a pop-up brake) was harder. I ended up cutting a small circle out of vinyl and sticking it on the plug before laying up the moulds. It creates a really small bump, just large enough to locate the inserts by feel.

Sorry if the explanation is crap. Brain is a bit fried at the moment. Not enough sleep.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:47 AM
Eldorado CA
Joined May 2010
425 Posts
I'm really stoked to see you getting this project goin dude, really gonna be a sweet lookin sled. Looks killer so far. I'm gonna be needing one here in the U.S to brag about, Mabey we can work something out if u start a batch?

Peace
SethPenery is offline Find More Posts by SethPenery
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:03 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jul 2008
1,803 Posts
Yeah for sure. It would be cool to have one flying on the other side of the planet.

Are you a dad yet??
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:53 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jul 2008
1,803 Posts
Just finished laying up the rest of the canopy mould
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:45 AM
Eldorado CA
Joined May 2010
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburglar View Post
Definitely post some pics once you've got one done!

Span on this one will be ~46-48". Fuse is 900mm long, 50mm wide. I'm purposely leaving off the fillets just in case I want to do a quasi-PSS TWF one day
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburglar View Post
Yeah for sure. It would be cool to have one flying on the other side of the planet.

Are you a dad yet??
Sweet! I'm almost a daddy, the little woman went to the doctors and they said to be expecting labor mid next week...... anxiety is starting to kick in
SethPenery is offline Find More Posts by SethPenery
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:01 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jul 2008
1,803 Posts
Awesome! Hope everything goes smoothly for you guys.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:34 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
22,650 Posts
I wonder if his timing was better than yours Jordan
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: done
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:47 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jul 2008
1,803 Posts
I popped off the canopy mould and it came out ok. I'm on babysitting duty for the next couple of weeks so I won't get a chance to lay up fuse moulds until october.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:02 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jul 2008
1,803 Posts
Yawn.... not much happening here. Itching to get these fuse moulds done. I got a canopy pulled from the mould and trimmed to the shape I want.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:47 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Jul 2008
1,803 Posts
I got some more done on this thing.

The plug is in the parting board and I've put down gelcoat, light glass, and flocks. I have more glass and coremat on the way. Hopefully it's here before the weekend so I can finish this half of the mould. And this afternoon I cut some airfoil templates and wing cores. Slowly making progress.