Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:59 PM
S.L.O.P.E.
San Diego
Joined May 2005
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburglar View Post
Thanks for letting me know.

Man you guys are really moving along quickly with the build. Can't wait to see what paint scheme you come up with.......... hopefully not pinholy ones
Jordan- don't confuse most of us with Brian's speedy building!

Greg (plodding along with too many builds at one time)
howsthewind is offline Find More Posts by howsthewind
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:16 PM
Alphabets make great soup
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jul 2008
1,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsthewind View Post
Jordan- don't confuse most of us with Brian's speedy building!

Greg (plodding along with too many builds at one time)
You're still building faster than me All I got done on mine over the weekend was a bit of filling and sanding on the fuse. Haven't even cut cores yet. I'm still trying to decide whether to sell a kidney and buy some thin ply or just do a heavy-ish glass layup on the wings.

What thickness ply did you guys use?
Hamburglar is online now Find More Posts by Hamburglar
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:41 PM
Just Toss It !!!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
6,083 Posts
[QUOTE=Hamburglar;23962186
What thickness ply did you guys use?[/QUOTE]

The ply is 1/32".
And I'm seriously considering lining the box I'd be bringing to Manilla with thin plywood......It might pay for the trip!
MATIN is offline Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:44 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATIN View Post
The ply is 1/32".
And I'm seriously considering lining the box I'd be bringing to Manilla with thin plywood......It might pay for the trip!
You may need to take a cooler box filled with ice too. I hear they pay for that stuff in body parts down there.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:52 PM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,643 Posts
The QC agent translator is often punctuated by the mother unit...

You built a James Bond ejector seat for your motor?
Don't push that red button...bad things can happen when you do...
The triangular button lights the emergency flashers...the ones with the flip up covers should be avoided...

The Batmobile went on the auction block and outsold the original Shelby Cobra price to a guy in Phoenix area...
Can I get the auction fees sent my way to finance my move?

Afraid I will have to part company with my Slope scale Spitfire along with a few other high value kits I've collected...

Time to go ship some 242GT Strut tower braces to a fellow in PA.

David
RAFster is offline Find More Posts by RAFster
Last edited by RAFster; Jan 28, 2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:05 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl View Post
You may need to take a cooler box filled with ice too.
There's a fridge at Godfrey's. I'll bring along a recipe for a killer steak and kidney pie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFster View Post
You built a James Bond ejector seat for your motor?
She's all fixed up. Has a nice moulded FG cowl now. Put a few batteries through it yesterday. That little thing really gets the adrenaline pumping!

Real bummer you have to sell your nice kits
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:05 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,226 Posts
Here's a few pics of the build so far. I too a couple showing how to install the wing into the fuse with the least amount of hacking. Basically you remove the trailing edge behind the linkages, then lay them flat in that cutout and then slide the wing through. Once through you have to straighten the nylon horns. I used a long copper tube with a slot in the end of it to straighten them. Once they are straight you thread the pushrods onto the clevices.

Other than that everything is pretty stock PSS build. As you can see mine is pretty well ready for paint. I have a few areas in that need a little attention with spot putty and primer. Right now it's exactly 2 lbs (32oz). With paint and gear I still expect to hit my 40oz target weight.
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:39 AM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,113 Posts
That looks nice. I'm guessing that once the torque rods are lifted up and the wing's glued in, they're pretty difficult to get at for servicing? Could I trouble you for a pic of the aileron servo install (I haven't done torque rods in a long time and then just on a foamy so got a lot to learn about that)? The aileron pushrods can still be adjusted at the servo end, right? Thanks for taking the time to document your build. It's the little things that make a good build great.
Cheers
s
gizzo is online now Find More Posts by gizzo
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:46 AM
Joined Jul 2008
1,906 Posts
Looking good!

Thanks for posting pics of the torque rod install. I was wondering how that all fitted into the fuse.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:50 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzo View Post
That looks nice. I'm guessing that once the torque rods are lifted up and the wing's glued in, they're pretty difficult to get at for servicing? Could I trouble you for a pic of the aileron servo install (I haven't done torque rods in a long time and then just on a foamy so got a lot to learn about that)? The aileron pushrods can still be adjusted at the servo end, right? Thanks for taking the time to document your build. It's the little things that make a good build great.
Cheers
s
Yes, it's pretty difficult to get at the torque rods but then you shouldn't have to. All adjustments are made at the servo. Very rarely in an "unscheduled arrival" aka crash one will pop off back there. With some artistry and a long screwdriver they can be re-attached.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:36 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,226 Posts
Not a F'n happy camper right now. Even though I thought I had the pinholes taken care of when I peeled off my first masking it pulled a boat load of primer off those hidden pinholes S$#@!t
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:49 PM
Jim in San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,110 Posts
Gah. Sorry to hear that :/

So any suggestions on the remaining fuses? Acetone the fuses and fill with the red glazing putty?
Pismo is offline Find More Posts by Pismo
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:52 PM
Jim in San Diego
Joined Nov 2002
4,110 Posts
Jordan may know how to handle this but I'm also curious about what can be done with the parts creation. I thought the bladder method left parts pin hole free - even if there was no primer in the mold/mould. Now I'm wondering if some veil may be called for.
Pismo is offline Find More Posts by Pismo
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:58 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,226 Posts
I tried putting duct tape on the fuse and pulling it off. I hoped that would pull off the primer that was covering the pinholes. It did work but obviously I missed a few spots. You could just sand all the primer off I suppose.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:14 AM
Joined Jul 2008
1,906 Posts
Ah bugger

My one (the first one I did) came out real good. No pinholes. I had extra pressure in the bladder.... until it popped about 10min in. Then I stuffed it all back together, put in another bladder in, and just had it under 25" vac. It came out great so I thought the 25" was all I needed. Maybe that extra pressure at the beginning got rid of all the little air bubbles trapped in the layup.

Only one doesn't have a veil.... that had lots of pinholes. You could see them real easy through the paint. Did Dan grab that one?