HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:00 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,141 Posts
Made a little progress last night. I had finished glassing the wings so last night i cut off the ailerons, installed the torque rods and then glued the two wing halves together. Forgot to take pics. I just need to sand the fiberglass at the wing joint and then I can mount the wing into the fuse. Should get that accomplished tonight.
TFLG is online now Find More Posts by TFLG
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:57 PM
gonzalo contreras
caracas
Joined Feb 2007
475 Posts
thanks

Thanks Jordan for fin and stab... and Greg too, for the bend torque rod video, in 35 years in hobby i used a ¨wrong¨ technic in the ¨space¨ to bend it...

Gonzalo
gonzalo contrera is offline Find More Posts by gonzalo contrera
Last edited by gonzalo contrera; Jan 24, 2013 at 06:04 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:22 PM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburglar View Post
Popped another one out this morning. This one came out real good..... Be sure to buy lots of raffle tickets at the PSS fest!

Next one will be a heavy fuse for me to build
Observation...
I keep seeing the QC agent in the photos, are child labor laws down under loosely interpreted?
RAFster is online now Find More Posts by RAFster
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:40 PM
Alphabets make great soup
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jul 2008
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFster View Post
are child labor laws down under loosely interpreted?
There's a loophole for Oompa Loompas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalo contrera View Post
Thanks Jordan for fin and stab...
If you want to scratchbuild one then let me know and I can send some more info. Airfoils, wing planform, etc. The fuse is a fairly simple shape so it would be a really quick and easy lost foam build.
Hamburglar is online now Find More Posts by Hamburglar
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:59 PM
United States, TN, Blountville
Joined Oct 2002
3,551 Posts
Must be hard getting work done when the QC agent is ALWAYS around, even if she is a Oompa Loompas
RAFster is online now Find More Posts by RAFster
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:08 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFster View Post
Must be hard getting work done when the QC agent is ALWAYS around
Sure is. It will be great when she can help out! (dreaming )

I tried laying that silk in the fuse and failed. But it was my fault. I didn't get the wet fabric off the carrier and into the moulds quick enough (QC agent screaming). It was a real warm evening and the resin was getting sticky real quickly. So it trapped a LOT of air. But I think I can get it to work. I will definitely try again as the effect is kinda cool/different.

Structurally it's fine but I couldn't be arsed filling all the bubbles. So I laid up another one. It came out pretty beefy 17.2oz/487g. There's quite a lot of glass in there.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:55 PM
Just Toss It !!!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
5,987 Posts
Quote:
Sure is. It will be great when she can help out! (dreaming )

I tried laying that silk in the fuse and failed. But it was my fault. I didn't get the wet fabric off the carrier and into the moulds quick enough (QC agent screaming). ..........
She was!!!.....She was screaming: "Quick!!....Get the wet fabric off the carrier !!!!"...... But you obviously missed it!
MATIN is online now Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:11 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,864 Posts
You can translate?!?!

Dude you need to publish a 'Screaming Baby to English' dictionary. You would become an instant millionaire.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:21 PM
Just Toss It !!!
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2004
5,987 Posts
Quote:
You can translate?!?!

Dude you need to publish a 'Screaming Baby to English' dictionary. You would become an instant millionaire.
No need to write it down for you. After the second one it'll come to you naturally!
MATIN is online now Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:23 PM
Livin ...The Endless Summer
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
6,995 Posts
I like the look !!

Nice Work!!

That carnage looks like my mini warbird days

Rubio
Small Plane Killer
67econoline is offline Find More Posts by 67econoline
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:35 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,864 Posts
I'm actually surprised it did such little damage. It went in hard! Lucky I have a spare cowl. Gonna splash a mould in case it happens again.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:16 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,141 Posts
My "construction" phase is just about finished. I managed to get the tail feathers mounted, the fillets all applied and sanded and the gear installed. really the only thing left to do is hinge the control surfaces then it's off to the paint shop. Even though I sheeted the wing with plywood, glassed it and glassed the tail feathers the weight is still under 32oz currently. With paint battery and receiver I think it's going to come in under 40oz. The wing is a little smaller than the normal PSS warbirds which will help here. Even at a light 40oz the wing loading will be 21oz/sqft. That's a respectable wing loading and it should move along pretty good with that loading. Another 8oz though and it should rock! Might have to figure out how to slap some ballast in this thing.

It's looking pretty good and so far the build has gone without a hitch. The only irritation is the pre-primered fuse, (which seems like a good idea) but it's making me crazy because any time you apply tape or sand it a thousand tiny pinholes are exposed. If I mask the final paint and this happens I'm gonna be tweeked! My advice would be to skip the primer and just provide a regular epoxy glass fuse.
Last edited by TFLG; Jan 28, 2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:54 AM
S.L.O.P.E.
San Diego
Joined May 2005
3,492 Posts
PISMO and I got both our sets of wings in the vac bag last night. 6 oz glass on the 45* bias. Jim got his "wing hole" cut out of his fuse last week in the C.O.W. (Cave of Wonders) with Brian's assistance. Now jim'll be able to pass that help along to me.

started cutting out horizontal stab for chaos and zephyr. will bag them later this week.

Matin stopped by last night and got some LE shaping done on his and DC812's wings using Mongo's SD cousin.

Greg who's trailing Brian by a bunch but is trying to implement the fast building tip... "don't stop"....
howsthewind is offline Find More Posts by howsthewind
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:00 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLG View Post
My advice would be to skip the primer and just provide a regular epoxy glass fuse.
Thanks for letting me know.

Man you guys are really moving along quickly with the build. Can't wait to see what paint scheme you come up with.......... hopefully not pinholy ones
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:42 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,141 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for letting me know.

Man you guys are really moving along quickly with the build. Can't wait to see what paint scheme you come up with.......... hopefully not pinholy ones
I tried doing in the mold pre-painted fuses years ago. I had the same problem with pinholes. It's great for a fuse that isn't getting sanded or painted like your typical ARF moldy. But for these types of planes it doesn't work out as well.