SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined May 2010
1,640 Posts
Discussion
Is this cheating? Albatros + Jeti DC-16 Radio w/built in Variometer

Very interesting feature. This is my excellent Albatros 3E and new 16-channel Jeti DS-16 transmitter with built in Variometer.

Zb/Esprit Model

Jeti Telemetry Variometer w/DC-16 Radio (4 min 10 sec)
Esprit Model is online now Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Esprit Model; Sep 15, 2012 at 02:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:02 PM
Steve
USA, PA, Marysville
Joined Nov 2009
444 Posts
Earphones?? I done think the pilot next to me would appreciate listening to that.
saddlesore is offline Find More Posts by saddlesore
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:26 PM
Electric Glider Nut
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Feb 2012
342 Posts
...or... the pilot standing next to you will head to whatever part of the sky you are in when they hear the rising beep-beep tone of a plane climbing in lift...
timography is offline Find More Posts by timography
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:18 PM
Sheboygan Falls, WI
Joined Nov 2006
1,730 Posts
that is wicked........
interplanet is offline Find More Posts by interplanet
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined May 2010
1,640 Posts
In my older hotliner with Opto ESC I am monitoring Life 2S receiver and 4S flight batteries with this sensor at the same time.

Zb/Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Esprit Model; Oct 06, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:18 PM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
711 Posts
Its not cheating

Varios are legal for use in both the AMA Contests and LSF Task program.
Using one is the best way to never learn to read thermals. We sailplane guys found out that they distract at best and in the end their use usually indicates some sort of lack of self esteem, driving a guy to try to use some device to help him win instead of using his own learned skills. Picolario is the best example, those pilots who use them are often seen circling in sink, getting rising and falling tones, when just off to one side all the other pilots are rising in lift...but the vario user is soooo determined to get a rising tone, they don't notice.

It is legal to use but at a huge cost to the pilot using it. Its not frowned on or seen as some short coming by those not using one. It can be a fun thing to play with...and even a learning tool if the user is instructed on how to use it as a learning tool versus a gimmick to stay up.

The Jetti does seem to have taken TX's to a whole new level!
Gordy
Gordysoar is online now Find More Posts by Gordysoar
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:25 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,940 Posts
The OP video is my first time seeing and hearing a vario in action. I'm cured: there's no way I want that going on while I fly !

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:45 AM
Joined May 2010
1,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1 View Post
The OP video is my first time seeing and hearing a vario in action. I'm cured: there's no way I want that going on while I fly !

Chris
You know there are few options, one is to use headphones, another one to lower the volume.
Or like I do, play sound with music. It took some time to get used to it, but I like using telemetry.

Zb/Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:28 AM
Joined May 2010
1,640 Posts
Jeti Duplex Telemetry

We made two videos explaining telemetry with Jeti profi box and Jeti DC-16 radio.

Jeti Duplex Telemetry Vario & Mezon Application

Using a sensitive barometric sensor the MVario EX allows you to measure your model’s rate of climb, rate of decent and relative altitude.

Jeti MEZON ESC’s advanced design and software are capable of unmatched precision and efficient motor management. With DUPLEX integration all data is measured in real time.

http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-cz.aspx

Jeti Duplex Telemetry Vario & Mezon Application (7 min 24 sec)

Zb/Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Esprit Model; Oct 06, 2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:28 AM
Joined May 2010
1,640 Posts
Jeti Duplex 2.4GHz Telemetry Overview!!!!

One of the attractive features of the Duplex 2.4GHz line of products is it's full integration with all Duplex telemetry sensors. You can easily observe up to 40 different parameters in real-time directly on the transmitter. Or, by using the JetiBox Profi you can see your data in parallel mode giving you and your copilot valuable real-time information (see video).

http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-cz.aspx

Jeti Duplex Telemetry "Overview" (10 min 4 sec)
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:41 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
620 Posts
Telemetry

Way back in the mid 70s, the only vario available was the Thermic Sniffler, which was designer by Dr. Walter Good. Back then it was only available on HAM band, so it's use was limited. Then it was released on I think 49Mhz. Lots of us had them in the Florida Soaring Society. Then came a problem, there were only 6 frequencies, so if your flight was due to launch you had a choice, either listen to two conflicting tones from two differnt varios, or listen to someone elses and see if it was worth going over to his thermal..
They were subsequently declared 'not useable in FSS competition', and most clubs followed suit.
Now, they do have thier uses, I use one with an altitude readout, (in a pleasant female voice), to check my climb altitude for ALES, zooms included. I also get a readout of battery voltage, handy for checking climb performance with various battery/prop/motor combinations.

When is that radio going to be available Zb?

Iain
rev.iain is online now Find More Posts by rev.iain
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:52 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,026 Posts
I suspect that unless it has total energy compensation, it's going to be a distraction.

In our area, you can get Fritz Bien to provide a total energy compensated energy signal. No electronics involved, he just looks at your glider flying and gives voice to his opinion with a tone.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:39 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincoln View Post
I suspect that unless it has total energy compensation, it's going to be a distraction.

In our area, you can get Fritz Bien to provide a total energy compensated energy signal. No electronics involved, he just looks at your glider flying and gives voice to his opinion with a tone.
And a very pleasant voice it is.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:16 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
And a very pleasant voice it is.
A little nasal for my taste. Just sayin'.
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:18 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model View Post
You know there are few options, one is to use headphones, another one to lower the volume.
Or like I do, play sound with music. It took some time to get used to it, but I like using telemetry.

Zb/Esprit Model
Being able to change the tone to music sounds cool, I must say!

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1