HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:53 AM
Joined Sep 2012
7 Posts
Discussion
HobbyKing have just lost another customer due to their customer "service"

So I have spent $300 with them in my first month of getting the RC virus and everything was well. That is until I installed the $4.99 backlight kit for my Turnigy 9X. Damn thing caught on fire because of bad soldering and I nearly burned down my transmitter! An issue that has happened to other people as well and has been documented on various RC related forums. Warranty support asks for a photo of the defective item, I send them one, they respond by saying that because it is burnt it won't be checked and will not of course be replaced/refunded. I keep received canned responses despite asking to talk to a supervisor. So enough is enough, I cancel my latest order with them and ask them to terminate my account. I will now see if I can claim my money back for the defective item via PayPal.
Harris_M is offline Find More Posts by Harris_M
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:13 PM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,711 Posts
Mmm thats funny as most of the people who have brought the same back lit LED kit seem more than happy with it,look at the reviews on the product page,ok you might of seen a few people moaning about it saying it blew up on them too,but who's to say they didn't blow it because they didn't wire/solder it right,as they might of been trying to do something they really shouldn't of been trying as there skill leave might not of been up to the job.

You spent $300 with them and all because you lost $ 4.99 your not buying from them again,i can see where your coming from but i very much doubt i would knock HK all because i lost $4.99,but thats just me as i know i've saved way more than that on my very first order with them over five years ago.

Any way i hope you get all your money back.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Blue_DIY_.html
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Your lucky your transmitter didn't get damaged. If you're only out $4.99 you're doing pretty good. HK doesn't care if you ever order from them again. Just open a Paypal dispute for a DOA product plus shipping. The couple times I filed a Paypal claim HK just ignored it and Paypal ruled in my favor. It took about 2 weeks. If the Papal claim works out for you just let them provide the CS that HK does not. That's how I deal with them.
Good Luck.
valanti256 is offline Find More Posts by valanti256
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined Sep 2012
7 Posts
Thank you for the replies guys. I too hope that PP will sort this out for me, if they do then I will think about buying again from them and just deal with PP every time I have a problem.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:29 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,104 Posts
Take your savings into account here.. The $4.99 you might be out, vs the thousands you will save over the next few years. Ive said it before and continue to say it, you dont get horizon customer service without horizon prices. Also, how do you know it was bad soldering? If it "caught fire" you probably wont be able to tell about the soldering lol. Are you sure you hooked it up right?
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:21 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
It makes no difference if you're dealing with Horizon, Hobby King or any other company.
You are paying your hard earned money for a product that works as described. If Hk doesn't care to resolve problems in a timely mannor why not open a Paypal dispute. It worked for me and that's why I'm still an occasional HK customer.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Sep 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanti256 View Post
It makes no difference if you're dealing with Horizon, Hobby King or any other company.
You are paying your hard earned money for a product that works as described. If Hk doesn't care to resolve problems in a timely mannor why not open a Paypal dispute. It worked for me and that's why I'm still an occasional HK customer.
Glad to hear that PP sorts things out, if I get my refund then I will shop again from them and just deal straight with PP every time there is a problem.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:38 PM
That Free Gas Weirdo Huh ?
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,556 Posts
Did you burn their computer up also ? I haven't been able to get onto the HK site for a few hours.
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:02 PM
RC plane addict ;-)
Joined Aug 2008
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop View Post
Did you burn their computer up also ? I haven't been able to get onto the HK site for a few hours.
I read the same sort of thing on the Durafly Sea Vixen thread,about someone not being able to get on the HK website but i've been getting on there ok to day and i just tried again and every thing was still ok for me,try quitting your browser and cleared cookies to see if that helps.

I've been going on there every day to see if the new Durafly MK24 Spitfire and the Sea Vixen are up on the site yet.,and everything has been fine apart from the two planes i just said are not out yet.

@ Harris_M yeah it would be a bit silly not to shop with HK again just over $4.99, as i said before just think about all the money you have saved on just that order let alone any others you might of made.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:27 PM
That Free Gas Weirdo Huh ?
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,556 Posts
Yea, I got two $18 motors there that I may have paid ~$100 ea for. One had a loose magnet, I had to repair it now I'm chugging on.
But try Tower or Horizon when something goes wrong under warranty. They have a dedicated staff that normally responds instantly and the problem gets fixed. They don't discount as much but start with higher quality.

I buy from all of 'em.
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:01 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
Quote:
That makes absolutely no sense. They are so horrible you have to file PP dispute so many times, and yet you are still an occasional HK customer

why not just go buy everything at your LHS, get red carpet treatment and avoid all the drama?
or do what chopchop does and buy from Tower or Horizon- they have a dedicated staff that normally responds instantly and the problem gets fixed.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:28 PM
RC plane addict ;-)
Joined Aug 2008
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post
That makes absolutely no sense. They are so horrible you have to file PP dispute so many times, and yet you are still an occasional HK customer

why not just go buy everything at your LHS, get red carpet treatment and avoid all the drama?
or do what chopchop does and buy from Tower or Horizon- they have a dedicated staff that normally responds instantly and the problem gets fixed.
I just read that and thought to myself,if that was true ( I'm not saying it isn't by the way) and it was happening to me,i doubt i would want to go through all that.

I've seen quite a of few posts off people like this one and they have never got a good word to say about HK the opposite in fact,but they still order off them occasionally.

I mean if you order off any company online and there service is that bad and you feel you might have to open a pay-pal dispute most times would you really bother? because i know what i would do.

Something don't quite sound right to me but who am i to try and make sense of anything that some of these HK haters say.

All i know is that i'm well happy with there service and i haven't found another online store that has as many products as HK does and at such low prices,if anyone could match them for price and quantity i would of thought we might of heard of them by now.

I don't mean you rcalldaylong i'm agreeing with you but how i saved your comment you might not know it lol.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:53 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by startazz View Post

I've seen quite a of few posts off people like this one and they have never got a good word to say about HK the opposite in fact,but they still order off them occasionally.

I mean if you order off any company online and there service is that bad and you feel you might have to open a pay-pal dispute most times would you really bother? because i know what i would do.

Something don't quite sound right to me but who am i to try and make sense of anything that some of these HK haters say.

I don't mean you rcalldaylong i'm agreeing with you but how i saved your comment you might not know it lol.
LOL! no worries...
Yea. it's almost like the wife that cries spousal abuse, but then runs back to the abusive husband and bails the husband out when the husband is jailed for spousal abuse

just kinda make you cringe...and ask WHY!
Either they like it, or there wasn't abuse in the first place.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:32 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcalldaylong View Post

It makes perfect sense to me and Millions of other Paypal users. Paypal provides a service, buyer protection. Paypal is easy to use and they eliminate the HK drama and provide CS. HK accepts Paypal because they can't afford not to.
I never said they were so horrible YOU did. I have placed several orders with HK over the years and I opened Paypal disputes Two times and they resolved the problems quickly and easily.(no drama at all) I will continue to shop at HK or any other store I choose to do business with when they have something I wish to purchase. It's that simple.
Last edited by valanti256; Sep 12, 2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:08 AM
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
Quote:
I never said they were so horrible YOU did.
You didn't? Really?
Do me a favor, hit that little magnifying glass next to your name and I'm willing to bet 90% of those 160 post say you did.

and that will be a better bet than gambling with HK...and HK has been spot on for me 99.9999999999999999 percent so far