Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:12 PM
Australia, NSW, Bradbury
Joined Dec 2007
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagifly View Post
Got the board installed into my FPV Tricopter, easy to do and only had to reverse yaw direction. Had a first lift off with Gyro's only, everything going well. Just need the weather to do a full on position hold and RTH, will be doing at least 500-700metres on goggles and using RTH to bring it back.

Dave H
Hi Dave,
You're very brave going 500-700meters away and hoping RTH works....I've tried it quite a few times from just 50-70meters away (LOS) and most of the time it works ok-ish but every now and then it just wants to "piss-off" in the opposite direction. Very strange considering I changed nothing in the two minutes between RTH attempts.... Keep your RTH switch finger ready just in case..!

Cheers,
Smithy.
knobby1 is offline Find More Posts by knobby1
Last edited by knobby1; Sep 25, 2012 at 05:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined May 2010
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
You may have to calibrate the mag.
Calibrated the mag - several times as a "new" sketch was loaded as I thought this was the issue. I'll try using another "board" definition with the same sensors and see if I get HH to work. My theory is that the board direction is determined by the GPS and HH is only used to establish a fixed position relative to a point in the horizon - similar to a helicopter heading hold gyro - does not matter what direction the heli is facing.

Update: Not a good idea .. instead of just drifting , on HH after a few minutes the quad starts to spin around. So for now, the board gets a well deserved rest and the MKT3329 GPS goes to the Crius AIO frame.
majik01 is offline Find More Posts by majik01
Last edited by majik01; Sep 26, 2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Updates
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:18 PM
Devon, Alberta
Joined Apr 2003
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotoGoat View Post
MTK3329_A1.5E_20110118_10Hz_115200.bin

I found it in theOLD firmwares folder of my MTK_firmware_tools folder.

I rigged up my FTDI unit that I got with my HK MW SE 2.0. Took me a few tries before I realised I needed to hook the RX to TX and the TX to RX. Seems obvious now....

7 satellites under a tin roof! So chuffed!

The main board is running v2.1 firmware. Just uncommented the following lines under the GPS section of config.h

#define GPS_SERIAL 2
#define GPS_BAUD 115200
Would this one also work?

AXN1.51_2722_3329_384.1151100.5.bin

Also when hooking up your GPS to the FTDI unit, do you only have to hook up rx tx gnd v or do you have to use all 6 pins?

Tim
Tim2 is offline Find More Posts by Tim2
Last edited by Tim2; Sep 25, 2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:05 AM
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
So... Am I the only one trying to get it working on ArduplaneNG?

I need people to brainstorm with. I haven't used the Crius AIO, so I don't know how well it outputs signals to APM Planner. So far it's reading the baro and yaw, but I can't get the GPS to show my location and pitch and roll don't do anything at all.

I put MultiWii 2.1 on there to make sure it all works and it was fine.
lobstermash is offline Find More Posts by lobstermash
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:06 AM
Disturbed, but in a good way.
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Nov 2009
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim2 View Post

Also when hooking up your GPS to the FTDI unit, do you only have to hook up rx tx gnd v or do you have to use all 6 pins?

Tim
Hi Tim, You are correct. Only the RX, TX, 5V and GND.
Not sure about the firmware, I didnt use that one.
RotoGoat is offline Find More Posts by RotoGoat
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:33 AM
Joined May 2010
75 Posts
Quote:

Tim
I used the "MWC Pro GPS (r33) Config" guide in the HK files sections. The specific file to use is the MTK3329_A1.5E_20110118_10Hz_115200.bin - I tried everything else but only this worked for me. It should be part of the "MTK-firmware-tools-for-2.1.zip" you can access as a link from the guide http://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav/downloads/list . Go through the how-to flash PDF but transfer the two bin files (do not mix up the two) you will use to the same directory as the flash tool for easy access from within the tool. Somehow the tool errors out when it takes too long and this is the only way I got the green donut.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:18 AM
Devon, Alberta
Joined Apr 2003
200 Posts
Ok thanks for the replies guys.

One more question on the GPS. Is there a GUI program for the MTK GPS like there is for the U-BLOX GPS (u-center)? Just to confirm that the GPS is running at 115200 and 10 Hz.

Tim
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined May 2010
75 Posts
Quote:
Ok thanks for the replies guys.

One more question on the GPS. Is there a GUI program for the MTK GPS like there is for the U-BLOX GPS (u-center)? Just to confirm that the GPS is running at 115200 and 10 Hz.

Tim
There is a file which called "Tiny GPS" (I can't confirm the exact name - sorry) included in the zipped file. Connect the GPS via serial to usb card and run the program. Connect to the 3329 (use the correct COM and baud rate) and you are given an option of warm/hot/cold start. If you are connected properly and the 3329 is working right (blinking circle), the GUI will start showing Sats and eventually you will get a fix. Good idea to be very near a window or outside to get good signals.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:24 PM
Devon, Alberta
Joined Apr 2003
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by majik01 View Post
There is a file which called "Tiny GPS" (I can't confirm the exact name - sorry) included in the zipped file. Connect the GPS via serial to usb card and run the program. Connect to the 3329 (use the correct COM and baud rate) and you are given an option of warm/hot/cold start. If you are connected properly and the 3329 is working right (blinking circle), the GUI will start showing Sats and eventually you will get a fix. Good idea to be very near a window or outside to get good signals.
Great Thanks !
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:11 AM
THE PUBLIC IS THE PROBLEM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
Can anyone verify if this board is as poorly manufactured as the KK2 board?? I had a pretty bad crash yesterday that ruined my KK2 board. No physical damage done, but now my ACC sensor no longer functions.

I am thinking of replacing the KK2 board with this board. But if HobbyKing continues with their poor soldering and manufacturing skills... i might have to buy my next board elsewhere.
subaru4wd is offline Find More Posts by subaru4wd
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:18 AM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru4wd View Post
Can anyone verify if this board is as poorly manufactured as the KK2 board?? I had a pretty bad crash yesterday that ruined my KK2 board. No physical damage done, but now my ACC sensor no longer functions.

I am thinking of replacing the KK2 board with this board. But if HobbyKing continues with their poor soldering and manufacturing skills... i might have to buy my next board elsewhere.
But a bad crash can ruin even the best manufactured devices.

Did you try pushing down on the acc and see if it just not making contact anymore after the crash?
TheFernMan is offline Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:21 AM
THE PUBLIC IS THE PROBLEM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
3,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
But a bad crash can ruin even the best manufactured devices.

Did you try pushing down on the acc and see if it just not making contact anymore after the crash?
Yeah i did. I get some readings but the result is still "NOT OK"

Are these sensors that fragile & sensitive to impact that they will fail? Im thinking is just a weak solder from a company trying to save $0.03 in manufacturing costs.
subaru4wd is offline Find More Posts by subaru4wd
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:23 AM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,004 Posts
Quote:
Yeah i did. I get some readings but the result is still "NOT OK"

Are these sensors that fragile & sensitive to impact that they will fail? Im thinking is just a weak solder from a company trying to save $0.03 in manufacturing costs.
Yea maybe a poor solder point. Even with the HK Mega board, we'll have to wait and see when people start crashing and if they'll hold up better than the KK2.
TheFernMan is offline Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:55 PM
Australia, NSW, Bradbury
Joined Dec 2007
223 Posts
Quote:

As mentioned previously, a crash can kill any board if hit hard enough or in the right place. I don't think HK actually makes these boards, my guess is that they are just a re-seller and the items are made elsewhere in China.
Mine runs fine so far although I've only had one or two minor "fall-overs", no hard crashes yet. I still find it very stable and nicely made, very adjustable via the WultiWii software too. Am using it for FPV and so far so good.

Cheers,
Smithy.
knobby1 is offline Find More Posts by knobby1
Last edited by knobby1; Sep 28, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:10 AM
Click eagle to read my blog
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,926 Posts
Quote:

Yes, all the sensors are in fact delicate, if you crash hard enough solder connections may be broken [no matter who makes the board], PCB traces may crack, or the sensor itself may be damaged internally, the ratings for the sensors do have G force limits, exceed them and they will be damaged.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member