HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2013, 12:37 PM
Sweden (┼kersberga)
Joined Nov 2004
658 Posts
Ok... I belive my module was at that stae at some point during the struggle I had. I have attached it again. Just remove the training.txt. And I think you need to perform a initialization cycle.

Open source is still free but far from plug an play :-)
hakank is online now Find More Posts by hakank
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2013, 12:40 PM
Sweden (┼kersberga)
Joined Nov 2004
658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer_bob View Post
Update...

I went back to the config file and changed the GPS_BAUD to 57600, reinitialized and now I am getting packets.

Thank you for your help, now back to what I was originally trying to do, set my PIDs

Bob
NP. Good to hear you got it spinning again. :-)
hakank is online now Find More Posts by hakank
Old Dec 08, 2013, 12:41 PM
Official Stupid Question Asker
United States, TX, San Juan
Joined Mar 2013
3,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer_bob View Post
Thanks, but my unzip utility will not open your file....

I went back to V2.2 and tried the settings you sent earlier. The GPS Icon(satellite) is now green but no update packets are being displayed on the red led in the upper right corner of the GPS display.

Gotta love open source code

Bob
do you have the MTK3329?

woops you posted it was working as I was posting this lol
TheQuestor is online now Find More Posts by TheQuestor
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: QTipToo.8 Part 5
Old Dec 08, 2013, 12:42 PM
Joined Nov 2013
32 Posts
Yes, it's the MTK3329
springer_bob is offline Find More Posts by springer_bob
Old Dec 09, 2013, 09:10 AM
Joined Jan 2005
46 Posts
MTK3329 GPS Help

GPS connection was driving me nuts until I downloaded this GPS viewer utility

http://www.gtop-tech.com/en/page/download-01.html
Get the latest GPS viewer.

I have Arduino boards at home, but you can use any controller board with an FTDI interface to connect your GPS using the TX/RX lines to the interface.

It is easy to scroll through and see which baud rate the GPS is sending data.

From the GPS utility you can then specify what data refresh rate to use, specific data types to return, and baud rate. This is assuming that your GPS has some kind of a battery backup to save settings.

If it does not, then boot up the GPS and see what settings it defaults to, then set the code within Multiwii to match.

In NMEA mode, Multiwii only needs RMC and GGA data from the GPS. Anything else is not needed so you can uncheck those options from the utility.
u2fletch is offline Find More Posts by u2fletch
Old Dec 10, 2013, 03:34 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2fletch View Post
GPS connection was driving me nuts until I downloaded this GPS viewer utility

http://www.gtop-tech.com/en/page/download-01.html
Get the latest GPS viewer.

I have Arduino boards at home, but you can use any controller board with an FTDI interface to connect your GPS using the TX/RX lines to the interface.

It is easy to scroll through and see which baud rate the GPS is sending data.

From the GPS utility you can then specify what data refresh rate to use, specific data types to return, and baud rate. This is assuming that your GPS has some kind of a battery backup to save settings.

If it does not, then boot up the GPS and see what settings it defaults to, then set the code within Multiwii to match.

In NMEA mode, Multiwii only needs RMC and GGA data from the GPS. Anything else is not needed so you can uncheck those options from the utility.
Nice link ... normally all you need is just a plain and simple serial console ... and this allows to check the GPS serial speed and protocol ...

The HK provided GPS in my case was arriving ready at 115k and NMEA ... using NMEA vs Binary ... lot of useless discussion .. fact is that ATmega2560 boards has enough power for handle NMEA without problem
e_lm_70 is offline Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Dec 10, 2013, 03:59 AM
Joined Mar 2013
3,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
Nice link ... normally all you need is just a plain and simple serial console ... and this allows to check the GPS serial speed and protocol ...

The HK provided GPS in my case was arriving ready at 115k and NMEA ... using NMEA vs Binary ... lot of useless discussion .. fact is that ATmega2560 boards has enough power for handle NMEA without problem
For a quad maybe :P I still prefer to not have to convert. Just an unnecessary extra step.

Also the multiwii guys say 115200 is horrible for GPS because of the error rate.

This is from the config.h

"// avoid using 115200 baud because with 16MHz arduino the 115200 baudrate have more than 2% speed error (57600 have 0.8% error)"

now 2% doesn't sound like much but when you have hundreds of dollars in the air just waiting to fall out of it I'd prefer to keep it to 0.8% instead of 2% In fact I keep my ublox @ 38400
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2013, 04:28 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuestor View Post
For a quad maybe :P I still prefer to not have to convert. Just an unnecessary extra step.

Also the multiwii guys say 115200 is horrible for GPS because of the error rate.

This is from the config.h

"// avoid using 115200 baud because with 16MHz arduino the 115200 baudrate have more than 2% speed error (57600 have 0.8% error)"

now 2% doesn't sound like much but when you have hundreds of dollars in the air just waiting to fall out of it I'd prefer to keep it to 0.8% instead of 2% In fact I keep my ublox @ 38400
LOL ... 2% is theory ...

In practice NMEA has a error check , so if something got wrong it is discarded

At 10hz ... even if 1 position is lost every second .. who cares ...

This error % on serial has a tricky mean ... you need to read in deep the specs of ATmega for get the full meaning ... and you will realize that it really is nothing

Anyhow ... you ublox works at 5hz at best .. the stock MTK GPS is 10hz, so ... 38400 would be hard to be used at 10Hz

I did not bother to check much mine .. it arrived already at 10Hz NMEA and 115k ... so .. I did not bother to change anything ... but ... yes in other GPS I like to keep NMEA, use only the 2 needed messages (this will save over 50% of serial signals) .. and use even 9600 bps ... in this way I can even run FrSky telemetry over the same serial port .. but this I do on 328 chip .. on a 2560 ... does not really mater much ... I have serial port in excess of my needs

Old Dec 10, 2013, 07:12 AM
Joined Mar 2011
199 Posts
hey guys,
Where do I connect the serial bluetooth device on this board?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html
I was just wondering, as I have it, and am not sure where to hook it up and then if I need to configure something in Arduino?
Sp1k3 is offline Find More Posts by Sp1k3
Old Dec 10, 2013, 08:06 AM
Joined Mar 2011
199 Posts
Quote:
No, nothing need to be removed.

This board has already a i2c port.

The MS5611 has a different port then all the other i2c elements in the board, so it works fine in parallel.

In theory the old 085 baro could be still used for read some data, and eventually used as back up or safety ... but it will need some extra code.

What I did was just to disable (by code) the 085, and enable the MS5611

Since it is an extra module, I did cover it up, and place upside down ... so perfect for avoid direct sun light and some propeller wash or wind

As you may see on my video on elm70 youtube channel ... my alt hold fly is solid for me with this board.

I also have no reason to complain about GPS quality

Sorry for the ingorance, but I know how to enable the MS5611 barometer:
/* I2C barometer */
//#define BMP085
#define MS561101BA
but how do I disable the BMP085 on the board?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 08:12 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp1k3 View Post
Sorry for the ingorance, but I know how to enable the MS5611 barometer:
/* I2C barometer */
//#define BMP085
#define MS561101BA
but how do I disable the BMP085 on the board?
// in front of define BMP085

This is how you disable by code.

Clearly, from HW point of view, the BMP085 it is still there, still is in stand by, but since it has a i2c address not used by any other part of the code, it will not be used by multiwii , nor it will arm any functionality

Old Dec 10, 2013, 01:24 PM
Joined Mar 2013
3,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp1k3 View Post
hey guys,
Where do I connect the serial bluetooth device on this board?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html
I was just wondering, as I have it, and am not sure where to hook it up and then if I need to configure something in Arduino?
it is connected to your I2C port and no sketch updates needed.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2013, 02:29 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuestor View Post
it is connected to your I2C port and no sketch updates needed.
i2c

Bluetooth goes over one of the serial port .. normally serial 0

Old Dec 10, 2013, 02:55 PM
Joined Mar 2013
3,380 Posts
Quote:
i2c

Bluetooth goes over one of the serial port .. normally serial 0

On my Multiwii Pro boards I have always connected it to the i2c ports.

er I guess it's com 0 my bad.

RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2013, 03:50 PM
Joined Mar 2011
199 Posts
Quote:
// in front of define BMP085

This is how you disable by code.

Clearly, from HW point of view, the BMP085 it is still there, still is in stand by, but since it has a i2c address not used by any other part of the code, it will not be used by multiwii , nor it will arm any functionality

great thanks guys!