SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined Apr 2012
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akcopter View Post
Thank's.... for raising some very serious doubts about the HK board and then eventually resolving them to some extent...but the one big problem that is really pulling me towards the Crius AIOP is the ability to run MPNG ...If someone can help me here and share your experiences... if you have been successful in getting the MPNG firmware working on the HK board....I am really having a hard time trying to find reasons why MPNG will not work on the HK board..... As far as I know.... the Sensors are all supported by the MPNG firmware and with some people getting impressive results with the baro used on the Hk board I think with the MPNG firmware running .......this will be a true replacement for the Crius Board.... providing a complete UAV board on one single platform...And Also about the mediatek GPS.... I Found quite a lot of people finding it at par with the CN-06 Ublox gps module from rctimer...so the HK board is a great deal....... Iff It can Run MPNG ...
please if someone can get this thing done ....it will solve all my doubts about the HK board
and also In the Meantime can someone please tell me is this sonar module is supported by the MPNG firmware and can I use it with the Crius AIOP..
http://dx.com/p/hc-sr04-ultrasonic-s...40172&u=133696
Thanks In Advance
some attention here!!
Akcopter is offline Find More Posts by Akcopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:01 PM
United States, TX, Laredo
Joined Dec 2011
63 Posts
I finally received my board today. I had to hunt down the mail man (he forgot to stop by my house). First impression the board seems to be well made and solid solder points have to see how the usb header will hold. I'll be testing the software later today. One question, does the board gets the power from the ESC's? I'm using HK F20A with Simon firmware on a home made wood frame with aluminum arms, 1100 kv motors and 10 x 4.5 props. Turnigy 9x running ER9x. I hope everithing goes well since this is my first multiwii.

Hope to update soon and any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks
marvin081 is online now Find More Posts by marvin081
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:30 PM
Australia, VIC, Warrnambool
Joined Feb 2012
165 Posts
Hey,

Was just in the market for a flight controller for my quad and came across this thread.
I have experience with an APM2 controller and seeing that some of the boards here use this firmware, It looks like a good buy.

Which board do u recomend to run Aruducopter/Megapirate? with gps

Thanks heaps
neo__04 is offline Find More Posts by neo__04
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:37 PM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo__04 View Post
Hey,

Was just in the market for a flight controller for my quad and came across this thread.
I have experience with an APM2 controller and seeing that some of the boards here use this firmware, It looks like a good buy.

Which board do u recomend to run Aruducopter/Megapirate? with gps

Thanks heaps
The Crius All in One can run MegaPirate NG great and has a good support thread here on RcGroups.

We don't know yet if the HK Mega board can run MegaPirateNG.
TheFernMan is online now Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:50 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,435 Posts
Quote:
Thank's.... for raising some very serious doubts about the HK board and then eventually resolving them to some extent...
Not sure what you mean by that, the USB connector ? is much better on the HK board, it does have to be handled with care being a very small connector and the huge amount of leverage available if you push or pull the cable sideways. You can inspect the soldering and maybe do a better job if you know what you are doing, fact remains the micro USB by design used on any board needs care to avoid damage.

Megapirates NG should be able to run on the HK board, the source may need to be edited etc.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined Feb 2012
165 Posts
Thanks for that TheFernMan.

Any suggested place to buy from?

Also which is the best gps to get to suit it?

Thanks again!
Last edited by neo__04; Sep 20, 2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:19 AM
United States, TX, Laredo
Joined Dec 2011
63 Posts
Ok. Flew a few packs and I am amazed on how stable this board is out of the box with 2.1 software and the defines that were on the the files tab. Only with the gyros on there was no yaw drift and was level the whole time only with small taps on the sticks to compensate for wind, I haven't been able to achieve this on none of my kk boards (now I'll just use them for openaero). Now I have to figure out how to adjust all the settings and make the board do alt hold and gps hold, I tried it but the quad just did random movements and I turn them off. I enclosed the board and receiver inside a project box from radio shack and glue the gps to the top of the box. I get a 10 sat lock inside the house, I still have to check how many lock outside. Tomorrow I'll post some pics and any other info I can get from trail and error.

Thanks
marvin081 is online now Find More Posts by marvin081
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:31 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,435 Posts
My first flight on Turnigy Talon V1.0 Hexcopter frame from HK, smooth is the word that instantly comes to mind with mutiwii 2.1, adjusted P for pitch and yaw up slightly, trimmed the radio and it flew so smoothly and level. orders of magnitude better that the HK KKV2. Windy here so I will wait to try the rest of the features, one small step at a time, so far very impressed, way beyond my expectations.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:43 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo__04 View Post
Thanks for that TheFernMan.

Any suggested place to buy from?

Also which is the best gps to get to suit it?

Thanks again!
Hi Neo, I have the CRIUS AIOP with the extended board which has the UBLOX LEA-6H GPS, I loaded Megapirates NG on it last night, had to program the GPS to get it to work at 10Hz and 38400 Baud, the UBLOX GPS seems to work much better running Megapirates NG than Mutiwii 2.1, I purchased them from RCtimer, I would not recommend them, badly packaged, pins bent but no real damage, I paid $16 extra for express shipping and it bounced around in China for 6 days before finally heading down under.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:10 AM
Joined Feb 2012
165 Posts
Hey Jabram,

Thanks for that,

Ill have a look around and see what i can find.

Looking forward to having a play with it. Especially wirth the arducopter firmware
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:07 AM
Australia, NSW, Bradbury
Joined Dec 2007
237 Posts
I see we have a few Aussie's here in this thread....good to see.!!

Had another play/fly with the HK Mega "Red-Board" today, I finally covered the baro with a tiny piece of porous sponge to keep the propwash etc... out of it, ran a few batteries worth through the bird, also did a few "Alt-Hold" runs to check and I'm still really impressed with this board. Alt hold was good, within ~1m with very tiny amounts of "Pumping", considering the price of this board it's very good IMHO.

Did a couple of "Pos-Hold" GPS runs too and still stays within ~5m square...so far so good. I adjusted the Pos-hold and Pos-hold rate P & I gains a little to try and take the "abruptness" out of the auto corrections, but to be honest I couldn't tell the difference.

@Tim: I checked my config.h in the sketch and the GPS is indeed running at 115200 baud, as you mentioned, the GPS supplied runs at 9600...so I'm also confused!!? Seems to work fine though.

Cheers,
Smithy, (soutwest Sydney)
knobby1 is offline Find More Posts by knobby1
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:11 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,435 Posts
Smithy, GPS hold going in circles could be incorrect declination, have you edited magnetic declination in the code - config.h the default is set to Budapest in Hungary

Code:
 /* Get your magnetic decliniation from here : http://magnetic-declination.com/
       Convert the degree+minutes into decimal degree by ==> degree+minutes*(1/60)
       Note the sign on declination it could be negative or positive (WEST or EAST) */
    //#define MAG_DECLINIATION  3.96f              //For Budapest Hungary.
    #define MAG_DECLINIATION  12.216f            // Mid North Coast NSW Australia
The supplied GPS Baudrate is certainly 115200

Joe
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Sep 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Apr 2012
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
Not sure what you mean by that, the USB connector ? is much better on the HK board, it does have to be handled with care being a very small connector and the huge amount of leverage available if you push or pull the cable sideways. You can inspect the soldering and maybe do a better job if you know what you are doing, fact remains the micro USB by design used on any board needs care to avoid damage.

Megapirates NG should be able to run on the HK board, the source may need to be edited etc.
I meant the doubts about the Baro output value on the HK board possibly jumping randomly almost within a range of 1 metre ...which may be a problem....
also that the mediatek GPS not being at par with the the rctimer CN-06 , that it may not allow precise GPS usage by the MCU for functions like RTL/GPS position hold...
and also the big daddy of problems for MPNG obsessed individuals like me..regarding lack of adequate support in the source code..
but I guess..these were not as serious as I thought them to be..
thanks for the update on support for MPNG..
but has anyone got it working with the HK board....
...looking forward to this...
Akcopter is offline Find More Posts by Akcopter
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:54 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,435 Posts
Quote:
I meant the doubts about the Baro output value on the HK board possibly jumping randomly almost within a range of 1 metre ...which may be a problem....
also that the mediatek GPS not being at par with the the rctimer CN-06 , that it may not allow precise GPS usage by the MCU for functions like RTL/GPS position hold...
and also the big daddy of problems for MPNG obsessed individuals like me..regarding lack of adequate support in the source code..
but I guess..these were not as serious as I thought them to be..
thanks for the update on support for MPNG..
but has anyone got it working with the HK board....
...looking forward to this...
After playing with the board as well as the CRIUS AIOP

After programming both the Mediatek and UBLOX to 10Hz they seem fairly equal, the GroundSpeed jumps around in Mutliwii, it jumps around very little in MP NG, I guess they have a better filter in the Arduino code.

The Baro on the CRIUS AIOP was jumping around sometimes by 1M when using Multiwii 2.1, with MP NG loaded it hardly moves, again I think a better filter in the Arduino code.

The baro on the HK Red Board was only jumping around 0.1M maximum [one tenth of a metre] using Multiwii 2.1

I have not spent time looking to see if there is anything in the hardware to stop porting MP NG to the HK Red Board.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:25 AM
Disturbed, but in a good way.
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Nov 2009
143 Posts
I have my board up and running on my X quad, but dont seem to be able to get the GPS going. I have already defined serial 2 and baudrate to 115200 but the gps just sits there and I get nothing on the configGUI.
Can anyone help me out?
RotoGoat is offline Find More Posts by RotoGoat
Last edited by RotoGoat; Sep 23, 2012 at 08:50 AM.