HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:13 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jy0933 View Post
i actually was planning to get the AIOP baro from sparkfun for like 30 bucks.. for better accuracy...

bmp085.. is really.. i'd say some people do have good results... and for most people.. like me.. even it is sitting on the table shielded...the reading jumps around @+/-0.1M...
from what i've read.. there needs some serious codes to get rid of noise... which cant be done easily... but ms5611 is designed for easy coding and good precision.. (just fyi)
Yep. that is what I am seeing on the bench. Plenty of spare connectors to add another Baro.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:45 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,483 Posts
Received my CRIUS AIOP v1.0 and Extend Board with Ublox LEA-6H GPS

Shielded the Baro from light, surprisingly it is NOT more stable at all, it jumps around more slowly BUT the overall variation over say 5 seconds can be as much as 0.5M

The GPS came set to 9600 Baud, too lazy to reprogram, so altered Baud rate in source code of Mutliwii 2.1.

I thought from all accounts that this GPS was way much much better than the mediatek supplied with the HK board.

Well, so far I am finding the Ublox 6H it is NOT better than the Mediatek, sitting perfectly still it reports speed of 0 to 20, whereas the mediatek sits there reporting 0, by the way this after the Ublox 6H has been on for over an hour and seeing 9 to 11 satellites.

I am really glad I purchased both to compare for myself, I have to say the HK setup I find much better, that even surprises me. Hobby King board has standard headers which are much easier to connect than those tiny little connectors used on the CRIUS.

The issue with micro USB connector getting ripped of is far more likely to happen on the CRIUS AIOP because they use a real cheap connector that is really really hard to plug into, tolerances?, and they only solder the side tabs with a miniscule amount of reflow solder, they cannot solder the rear corners as they have traces under one of the USB shell rear corners, only thing keeping it from shorting out to those traces is the silk screen and LUCK!. No amount of hot glue will fix that problem IMHO.

CRIUS AIOP v1.0 USB connector, only side tabs to solder to board

Hobby King Mutliwii Mega USB connector, 2 side tabs and rear corners to solder to board.

Further bench testing of CRIUS AIOP v1.0 MS5611-01BA01 Barometer reveals some really strange results, shielded, away from any electrical interference, no wind, no light to upset it, it suddenly jumps back and forth about 1M then settles to a reading 1M different from previous reading.

EDIT: I was wrong, I have now tried Megapirates NG v2.7 R4 on the Crius AIOP board and to my surprise the Ublox GPS and Barometer are both delivering better results than when I tested with Mulyiwii. The Baro shows more errors on both boards when using MutiwiiWinGUI, really strange.I am guessing the Megapirates code along with APMPlanner smooth out a lot of the GPS and Baro errors or perhaps handle the data correctly in the first place.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Sep 20, 2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Compared to Crius running megapirates NG v2.7 R4
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:06 PM
United States, TX, Laredo
Joined Dec 2011
63 Posts
Hey Jabram have you tried using megapirate on they board yet? I am supposed to receive mine soon its still on New York ICS.

Thanks
marvin081 is online now Find More Posts by marvin081
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:15 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin081 View Post
Hey Jabram have you tried using megapirate on they board yet? I am supposed to receive mine soon its still on New York ICS.

Thanks
Hi Marvin, no I haven't. next thing on a long list of things to do/try.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:54 AM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
Hi Marvin, no I haven't. next thing on a long list of things to do/try.
Thanks jabram for your review of the boards. This is great stuff. You dont know how many people I'm sure your helping with this. Very informative.
TheFernMan is offline Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:26 PM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Sweden, Uppsala County, Balsta
Joined Jun 2012
1,246 Posts
...Yeah, What TheFernMan said....Tnx Jabram.

Board up and running in the Tri now. Flight test later this week.
Really nice little feature-packed board.
Once I got around to actually RTFM, it was almost easy to set-up.

/J
JNJO is online now Find More Posts by JNJO
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:59 PM
Australia, NSW, Bradbury
Joined Dec 2007
238 Posts
Hi All,
Received my MultiWii "Red Board" mega the other day and set it up running on an X525 quad using SimonK flashed HK-F20A esc's and 35/30 1100kv motors, 10 x 4.7 props, 3300 3s 40c battery. Also set it up using v2.1 multiWii sketch and Wingui 2.1. Am using Turnigy 9x radio with FrSky module/receiver. I've not connected the GPS module to it as yet though.
I must say, this FC is super stable and super responsive using default PID's, it's actually a pleasure to fly. MultiWii V2.1 firmware is a big step forward and thanks must go to the guys who worked on it and managed to get it to us.

Whilst I was fiddling/trimming/flying out the front of my house I had the quad up at ~5m altitude, auto level on and got it all trimmed and sitting nicely then hit the "Alt hold" to see what would happen, I half expected the poor thing to fly off into the distance... but no..... I'm very impressed with it's ability to hold alltitude within ~1-1.5m, only a small amount of altitude "pumping", this is with a bare baro too, it's open to the atmosphere, light and propwash etc....I had it sitting there for a good 4-5mins with only minor elevator and aileron adjustments, didn't once touch the throttle.....pretty neat I thought..! With GPS fitted, Pos-hold and Alt-hold both activated it should be a nice thing for AP or FPV.

Will have a go at hooking up the GPS this evening and see how she goes. So far so good, I'm impressed with this board so far, one of the best I've tried and good value.

Cheers,
Smithy.
knobby1 is offline Find More Posts by knobby1
Last edited by knobby1; Sep 18, 2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:08 AM
Devon, Alberta
Joined Apr 2003
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby1 View Post
Hi All,
Received my MultiWii "Red Board" mega the other day and set it up running on an X525 quad using SimonK flashed HK-F20A esc's and 35/30 1100kv motors, 10 x 4.7 props, 3300 3s 40c battery. Also set it up using v2.1 multiWii sketch and Wingui 2.1. Am using Turnigy 9x radio with FrSky module/receiver. I've not connected the GPS module to it as yet though.
I must say, this FC is super stable and super responsive using default PID's, it's actually a pleasure to fly. MultiWii V2.1 firmware is a big step forward and thanks must go to the guys who worked on it and managed to get it to us.

Whilst I was fiddling/trimming/flying out the front of my house I had the quad up at ~5m altitude, auto level on and got it all trimmed and sitting nicely then hit the "Alt hold" to see what would happen, I half expected the poor thing to fly off into the distance... but no..... I'm very impressed with it's ability to hold alltitude within ~1-1.5m, only a small amount of altitude "pumping", this is with a bare baro too, it's open to the atmosphere, light and propwash etc....I had it sitting there for a good 4-5mins with only minor elevator and aileron adjustments, didn't once touch the throttle.....pretty neat I thought..! With GPS fitted, Pos-hold and Alt-hold both activated it should be a nice thing for AP or FPV.

Will have a go at hooking up the GPS this evening and see how she goes. So far so good, I'm impressed with this board so far, one of the best I've tried and good value.

Cheers,
Smithy.
Thats great knobby1!

Could I ask you what did you have to configure in MultiWii to get this board to work?

Tim
Tim2 is offline Find More Posts by Tim2
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:44 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,483 Posts
Thanks Smithy, I had my hex ready 2 days ago just have not had time during the day to flyt it, tomorrow may be the day, based on your experience this should fly well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:28 AM
Joined Apr 2012
535 Posts
Thank's.... for raising some very serious doubts about the HK board and then eventually resolving them to some extent...but the one big problem that is really pulling me towards the Crius AIOP is the ability to run MPNG ...If someone can help me here and share your experiences... if you have been successful in getting the MPNG firmware working on the HK board....I am really having a hard time trying to find reasons why MPNG will not work on the HK board..... As far as I know.... the Sensors are all supported by the MPNG firmware and with some people getting impressive results with the baro used on the Hk board I think with the MPNG firmware running .......this will be a true replacement for the Crius Board.... providing a complete UAV board on one single platform...And Also about the mediatek GPS.... I Found quite a lot of people finding it at par with the CN-06 Ublox gps module from rctimer...so the HK board is a great deal....... Iff It can Run MPNG ...
please if someone can get this thing done ....it will solve all my doubts about the HK board
and also In the Meantime can someone please tell me is this sonar module is supported by the MPNG firmware and can I use it with the Crius AIOP..
http://dx.com/p/hc-sr04-ultrasonic-s...40172&u=133696
Thanks In Advance
Akcopter is offline Find More Posts by Akcopter
Last edited by Akcopter; Sep 19, 2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:52 PM
Australia, NSW, Bradbury
Joined Dec 2007
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim2 View Post
Thats great knobby1!

Could I ask you what did you have to configure in MultiWii to get this board to work?

Tim
Hi Tim,
I just followed the instructions in the HK manual here:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2X19082X23.pdf

Halfway down the page there is the "Software Configuration" showing what board and other lines to "uncomment" etc....

I set it up using MultiWii sketch v2.1, (which IMHO is much better than previous versions). Then I just plugged it into Wingui 2.1, I like this a little better than Winconfig 2.1 as it seems to handle Win 7 x64 better for some reason. I left all PID's at the defaults and just calibrated the acc and mag......configured my TX switches where I wanted them, reversed channels, set subtrims and EPA's where required and it just worked...!
I did have to use a bit of expo on the throttle "hover point" as well as pitch and roll as they were a little "agile" for my ordinary flying skills but that's what the adjustments are there for are they not?? For an experienced flyer it may not have been an issue.

PS: I fitted and configured the GPS module yesterday afternoon at my home, it picked up 8 satelites within ~10sceonds within Wingui inside the house, pretty impressive, showed my location on the map in Wingui to within ~5m!! It actually gave my location as between my house and the house next door... but not too bad for a cheap gps module.

I then bit the bullet and took the bird outside and went up to ~15m altitude, using auto-level and trimmed nicely so it hovered with minimal drift.... I flipped the "pos-hold" switch........again I half expected the silly thing to go shooting off into the distance never to be seen again, I had my finger hovering over the switch just in case
I need not have worried though, the gps actually held position within ~ a 5-6m square area, it's very strange watching it correct itself too, although it's quite abrupt when it does correct itself so I might need to play with the pos-hold PID's a bit to settle it down sligthly but to be honest it seems to work reasonably well as is with the default settings.

I actually found this board easier to setup and get flying nicely than my "Rabbit" board using the same airframe, motors, props, esc's etc.....

Cheers,
Smithy.
Last edited by knobby1; Sep 19, 2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:08 PM
Devon, Alberta
Joined Apr 2003
200 Posts
Thanks knobby1,

Great explanation! What baud rate did you configure the GPS? The 4800 shown or 115200?

Thanks

Tim
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:47 PM
Australia, NSW, Bradbury
Joined Dec 2007
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim2 View Post
Thanks knobby1,

Great explanation! What baud rate did you configure the GPS? The 4800 shown or 115200?

Thanks

Tim
Hi Tim,

I "believe" I set it to 115200, (which I think is the default in the MW2.1 sketch), and it works fine..! I'll have to check the "config.h" to make sure, if incorrect I'll let you know.

Cheers,
Smithy.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:53 AM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Sweden, Uppsala County, Balsta
Joined Jun 2012
1,246 Posts
Hi,
Anybody managed to get the buzzer working?
All I get is a constant beep when I connect it to TX0. Tried moving it to D8 in config.h but get the same result.
Using MW2.1.
Otherwise it works great on an RCexplorer 2.5.
Will experiment more with mag, baro, acc and gps later this week.

/J
JNJO is online now Find More Posts by JNJO
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:51 PM
Devon, Alberta
Joined Apr 2003
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobby1 View Post
Hi Tim,

I "believe" I set it to 115200, (which I think is the default in the MW2.1 sketch), and it works fine..! I'll have to check the "config.h" to make sure, if incorrect I'll let you know.

Cheers,
Smithy.
Ok I followed knobby1's directions and appeared to get the board up and running along with GPS lock on 8 satelites. That was with MW2.1. I'm still a little confused with the GPS set up though. If we configure MW2.1 to use 115200 baud but our GPS's are using 9600, why does it still seem to work? What am I missing?

Tim